Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bucket list of thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Bucket list of thoughts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bucket list of thoughts - 2/15/2013 11:24:17 PM   
BrianG

Having played the Germans into the ground and now another game where I was at Ok strength as Germans in 42 only to face a 43 onslught, I have some experience defending in Rumania and Hungary.

I have a few thoughts for game play.

The defense multiplier for the mountains sems very low. Either the defense value should go up or attack value heavily dropped. Not sure if game engine lowers the cv to reflect VERY hard to get all troops into the battle. Similar to the reduction for having too many troops attacking. Not all get into the action.

Motorized in mountains should be heavily reduced.

Also/and/or perhaps starting in mud or snow, shouldn't some of these mountain hexes become impassanble. That would free up German D resources during Winter. Plus, and maybe I don't know the size of thsee mountains, but the look high on the map. Reducing supply sp seems not enough. Really, If in reality nobody would attempt to cross in winter, then the hexes s/b winter impassable. Not all the mountains but at lest a few.

The OB shoudl detail what date the allies surrendered and the event log should show the die roled made, if any, on any surrender situation.

FYI, it is possible for Rumania to surrender without releasing the Hungarian troops. Map lines would help.

I saw russian units retreat out of rumania into Bulgaria and the russian brought them back into Bulgaria,

There shoudl be a hyper link from the units on the the event log to the unit.. Would help.

The Withdrawel and reinforcement report should show all future inflows and outflows of ARmy/Front hq's. Would help russia to clearly know went a front will disappear.
I don't believe all are shown.

I thought there were SS Army HQ's in the East. I don't see any in wite. I may be wrong on my knowledge here.

There s/b Chheslovakian partsans at some point . Supplied by russian planes.

Please get rid of the 'g' hot button, The one that will reattach a unit to nearest HQ. Too many unintentional changes.
Try one error with a soviet cav/tank corp and you could vomit. I think it is the g.

The supply reduction factor, for distance East, used when Germans unit go further east should be equally applied to the russian units as they go west.

Query, does the game engine, during attrition, actually use up ammo for these 'hidden' attrition battles.

The Limit of 55 in morale for rebuilt German units. It seems the morale bonus' are not being applied to tank and ss and i assume mountain and cav. Seems weird to have an ss panzer division that can't. without battle, get above 55.
Post #: 1
RE: Bucket list of thoughts - 2/16/2013 7:17:25 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrianG

The supply reduction factor, for distance East, used when Germans unit go further east should be equally applied to the russian units as they go west.

We can't have that, thats not fair to russians to be treated as Germans.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-uyENm3T-0

(in reply to BrianG)
Post #: 2
RE: Bucket list of thoughts - 2/16/2013 12:22:20 PM   
newmanovci

Of course, when the Soviets advanced to the West, they encountered the difficulties of stretched supply lines. In fact, in terms of equipment, it was even worse than for the Germans going East, due to the Soviet factories being relocated earlier in the war. However, broadly speaking, the Soviets managed the supply situation better. So, to model this, you'd have to penalise the Soviets with a supply reduction factor - and then cancel that out by applying some bonus to reflect better Soviet organisation. Simpler to not apply a penalty in the first place, surely?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 3
RE: Bucket list of thoughts - 2/18/2013 2:57:17 AM   
BrianG

Well, now i just had the 6th panzer division wiped out and it returned with a morale of 61.

This while my 2 SS panzer division is still at 53 . Its been back onboard for months.

And I add this for discussion.

How does everyone feel about the ability of the russians to attack over mountains in the blizzrd with ease? Seems fair? Please reply. Over the rr lines maybe ok but the rest s/b ski troops only. You get my point.

(in reply to newmanovci)
Post #: 4
RE: Bucket list of thoughts - 2/18/2013 7:18:20 PM   
turtlefang

It's not just the Russian's, although the Blizzard grossly unbalances things in the Soviet favor.

I just don't get the feeling that terrian makes that much difference overall on the defense. Cities aren't that hard - or at least as hard as the history books make it - and water crossings are relatively easy.

The big limitation on the attacker is the movement point restriction, not usually combat values or defensive terrian. Mountains and cities should be hard to crack for anyone at anytime.

(in reply to BrianG)
Post #: 5
RE: Bucket list of thoughts - 2/18/2013 7:54:01 PM   
morvael

The problem is there is no notion of "progress" in capturing a position (other than reducing forts). You either capture it or not. Weakened defenders can be rotated, forts can be rebuilt. Making things harded to capture may make them unconquerable. In order to have those defensive values higher there should be a percentage value called "capture progress" for every hex, that would increase after each attack that didn't fail miserably (perhaps for attacks in 1:1-2:1 range). Over several turns a position could be then captured. Current system is from regular boargames and it is binary in it's nature, which of course for a detailed computer simulation is not best solution (for realism).

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 6
RE: Bucket list of thoughts - 2/18/2013 9:52:08 PM   
BrianG

To be clear.

I lost my Panzer late 43.

And my russian oppenent just attacked a hungarian mountain hex from 3 mountain hexes, one of which had a rr which was unconected to the grid.

It was Blizzard January 27,44

My hex had a Hungarian fort (was building for 1 and 1/2 years and hex only at 2.5 fort) and 2 ger inf units CV value296. Rissian pre CV was 699 and modified 1,465 cv. I retreat with only 1400 casualties.

Its a damm Blizzard in the mountains. From a mountain into another mountain. Retreat rules should be tougher in mountains if they don't correct thiese things.

People complain about the end years being too much of a russian stampede. Well here is a partial cause.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Bucket list of thoughts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI