Who is this author?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

amps63

Who is this author?

Post by amps63 »

Years ago I read a book by an author who I believe was an Army Captain. The book was about a modern day war between America and Mexico. I believe this author also wrote a series of fiction books about the Civil War. Does anyone have a clue as to who he is? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
sterckxe

RE: Who is this author?

Post by sterckxe »

Harry Turtledove wrote about alternate history ACW and a new Mexican war - he wasn't a military guy though

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
amps63

Post by amps63 »

Bingo! It is Harold Coyle. Thanks!
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: amps63

Bingo! It is Harold Coyle. Thanks!

I read his books a long time ago and enjoyed them.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I was going to guess Ambrose, but......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
amps63

Post by amps63 »

Ambrose and Turtledove are both good guesses. I appreciate the help!
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: parusski

ORIGINAL: warspite1

[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]
warspite1

Don't get all holier-than-thou parusski, I purposely waited until the poster had a proper response before posting....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Going with this thread and the thread on women in infantry I remember reading one of Coyle's books and it had a female Lt., believe her name was Nancy Kozak. Anyway, I remember one portion where she was on maneuvers in Texas and started her monthly fun and was not prepared so she had her driver pull the Bradley pull over at a convenience store so she could buy pads. I thought then that women would never be in combat but what do I know, I was much younger then! [:D]

Coyle is always a good read.
No problem Chief!
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Going with this thread and the thread on women in infantry I remember reading one of Coyle's books and it had a female Lt., believe her name was Nancy Kozak. Anyway, I remember one portion where she was on maneuvers in Texas and started her monthly fun and was not prepared so she had her driver pull the Bradley pull over at a convenience store so she could buy pads. I thought then that women would never be in combat but what do I know, I was much younger then! [:D]

Coyle is always a good read.

WRONG THREAD. OOOOPPPS.
british exil

Post by british exil »

Never read the Harold Coyle Civil war books, are they worth reading as a European? Or do I need a bit of info on who is who?

I did enjoy the story (The Ten Thousand) where the American forces were retreating through Germany to pull out of the country or surrender all weapons to the German government, because the new German Chancellor wanted the country to be free of foreign forces. As I live in Germany I had more of a feeling for the story as they were fighting and moving through the area that I know quite well.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Never read the Harold Coyle Civil war books, are they worthing reading as a European? Or do I need a bit of info on who is who?

I did enjoy the story (The Ten Thousand) where the American forces were retreating through Germany to pull out of the country or surrender all weapons to the German government, because the new German Chancellor wanted the country to be free of foreign forces. As I live in Germany I had more of a feeling for the story as they were fighting and moving through the area that I know quite well.

Mat

Personally I think that was his best work
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
parusski

Post by parusski »

Never read the Harold Coyle Civil war books, are they worthing reading as a European? Or do I need a bit of info on who is who?

Mat

Yes british exil, Harold Coyle's books are worth "worthing" reading-whatever that is.[:D]
british exil

Post by british exil »

Mat

Yes british exil, Harold Coyle's books are worth "worthing" reading-whatever that is.[:D]

Worthing reading, is reading and writing faster than my small brain can work in the morning with only 1 coffee drunk. With 2 coffees I would have written worth reading.
I must admit you were slow on picking up that minor slip up. Thx!!

It was worthing reading your post. Now I will correct my slip up.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
parusski

Post by parusski »

Mat

Worthing reading, is reading and writing faster than my small brain can work in the morning with only 1 coffee drunk. With 2 coffees I would have written worth reading.
I must admit you were slow on picking up that minor slip up. Thx!!

It was worthing reading your post. Now I will correct my slip up.

Mat

Why thanks for depreciating worthing reading my post. I think that "worthing reading" is an excellent new way of showing depreciation for other's posts.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

Mat

Personally I think that was his best work

Agreed
No problem Chief!

Return to “General Discussion”