New Laptop - will it be enough?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

dukewacoan

New Laptop - will it be enough?

Post by dukewacoan »

I'm looking at a new laptop, but want to make sure it will play several games, SOW being one in particular.

Specs:
Intel Core i53317U 1.7GHz processor
6GB of memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics
500GB hybrid drive
Windows 8 (although I think I'd prefer 7)

Think this will be sufficient?
budd

RE: New Laptop - will it be enough?

Post by budd »

My laptop is about 15 months old. a second generation core I3 @ 2.2ghz, 8 gigs of ram and intel HD graphics 3000 with 64 dedicated and 1.8 shared with win7. Plays fine, I never tried the really big scenarios though.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Garnier

RE: New Laptop - will it be enough?

Post by Garnier »

I have a laptop with an I5 2500 @ 2.5ghz, 8GB ram, and the HD Graphics 3000.

SOW will run, but not very well. I am not sure how much of the problem is the processor vs the graphics, but I think both are the limiting factor at different times. SOW only uses one processor thread. It's too slow to be fun for me so I only play on a much more powerful desktop.

A powerful graphics card will make SOW run smoother -- when I upgraded from X1900XT to GTX 560Ti in my desktop, it became a lot smoother. This didn't affect how large a battle I could run, it just made the framerate smoother particularly when panning the camera around with lots of men and trees visible.

So I assume the game will run on that laptop, but it will probably be slow if you have a sizeable battle particularly with AI, and it might get choppy when you're looking around at trees and such. A lot of it depends on battle size, whether there is AI, and what exactly you're looking at in the game.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com

Return to “Tech Support”