Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best use of Corp HQs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Best use of Corp HQs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best use of Corp HQs - 2/12/2013 8:12:43 PM   
governato

How do people use the Corp HQs to maximize their effect?

Red Army:

- In Fall 1941 I attach them to Shock Armies to give their units one more layer of C&C
(as the Germans have). I give them junior leaders with good admin levels. They have 8CPs so
3 IDs + 1 Inf Bde + 1 Tk Bde + a few above average SUs seems to work well. During the blizzard, their units seem to consistently get good MPs and combat multipliers.

- Later in the war I like the suggestion of attaching them to STAVKA and fill them up with
Arty divisions.

- in 42 using them as small 'Fire Brigades' attached to STAVKA with leaders with good initiative would probably work too as a flexible tool to plug breakthroughs.

Germans: If I have understood Pelton's strategy (P: sometimes you write like an oracle!) when the initiative goes to the Red Army, in order to maximize reserve commitments it is better to attach IDs directly to Army HQs (if they are not overladed and their leaders have pretty good initiative). Do you disband some German Corp HQs then?

Any other ideas/suggestions/strong opinions?
Post #: 1
RE: Best use of Corp HQs - 2/12/2013 8:36:21 PM   
Seminole

quote:

In Fall 1941 I attach them to Shock Armies to give their units one more layer of C&C (as the Germans have).

That will give you another chance, but not necessarily a better chance:

quote:

11.3.2. COMMAND RANGE MODIFIER

If the leader fails the check, then the leader in the next HQ unit
up the chain of command conducts an initiative rating check. Let’s say
that it is an Army HQ unit that is 10 hexes from the combat unit, has 22
command points worth of units attached and as an Army HQ unit it has a
command capacity of 24 CP, and a leader with an initiative of 7. The check
would be to see if random (20 + 0 {due to command capacity not being
exceeded} + (11/2) {because army HQ units have a range modifier value
of 2}) < 7. Or random(25) <7. (Values are rounded down). As you go up
the chain of command, the base value of 10 doubles each time you go up
a HQ level.

As I understand it, by grouping his units directly under the Army HQs Pelton is allowing the Army commander to make the initial check against the leader rating in question (random(10) instead of random(20) as it would be going 'up the chain').
That way you can maximize command checks by your best generals at the best odds. I don't know that the Soviets have enough good generals to make the corps a boon. I think those mainly help the Germans more effectively route supplies to armies generally spread thinner than the Soviets operate.

The increase to the random number at each successive check is why I wonder how useful it is to have Zhukov at Stavka. He wouldn't suffer from command overload penalties, but he's going to be running his check against a much higher random number (random(40) in most cases). Commanding a Front he's going to be much more effective I would think.

With regard to how to use the corps HQs for the Soviet. I attach them to Stavka and use them for managing brigades (arb/rifle) on digging/maintenance duties in '41-'42, with plans to use them as artillery div shepherds later in the war as the rifle brigades are absorbed making corps. My understanding is that the command penalties only affect CV calculation for seizing a hex, and don't diminish the firepower they provide during combat itself (disruption, fort destruction, etc)

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 2
RE: Best use of Corp HQs - 2/13/2013 1:11:20 AM   
Pelton

GHC: Once I change over to defensive I start deleting 1 Corp HQ per turn until I get to 40ish.

Stugs, poineers, tanks I put in divisions and AA/AT/Arty stay under Army HQ. You also need to put best Commanders in each Army. I will aslo have 1 Corp under each AGC/AGN/AGS as a fire brigade.

Like Semi said it increases SU's to each battle and ups the reserve commitment. Basicly 2x from 4-8 to 8 to 16.

You get 1-3 regiments to every single battle.

Pain in ass to set-up but worth the pain.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 3
RE: Best use of Corp HQs - 2/13/2013 9:33:02 PM   
Shupov

As Soviet, I'll use one at Sevastopal and one at the Kerch peninsula to free up scarce Army HQ's in 1941. I also spend the AP's (usually 6) to change their HQ to STAVKA and off-load 8 CU's from their Front.

Two broken Tigers on fire in the night,
Flicker their souls to the wind...

Al Stewart, "Roads to Moscow"

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Best use of Corp HQs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI