Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The STAVKA War Diaries

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> The STAVKA War Diaries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The STAVKA War Diaries - 2/12/2013 6:40:48 PM   
M60A3TTS

1941-45 Campaign game, alt VC

Server game
Locked HQ Support
Non Random Weather
Full FOW

House Rules

No Para drops to break pockets at anytime in the game. No Para missions at all by the Soviets until the first Blizzard.
No bombing of air bases more than 3 times a turn (after turn 1).
No bombing of HQ's unless stacked with a ground unit.

Additional Auto VC (in place to prevent ludicrous runaways)

If the Axis player holds Leningrad, Moscow, Voronezh and Rostov concurrently at the end of 1941 he wins an Auto Victory.

If the Soviet player holds Pskov, Smolensk, Bryansk, Kharkov and Stalino concurrently at anytime in 1942 he wins an Auto Victory.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 June 1941.

Generals Shaposhnikov,Vatutin and Zhukov are scheduled to meet with Comrade Stalin tomorrow morning to discuss the latest situation and intelligence reports. Although the generals are in agreement that war is now only days away, Comrade Stalin remains unconvinced. He still trusts his intuition over his own spies it appears. General Zhukov in particular is ready to insist to Comrade Stalin that all fronts be put on a war footing at once, and further reconnaisance incursions by the Luftwaffe be actively opposed, shooting them down if necessary.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 3/13/2013 7:52:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/12/2013 7:37:16 PM   
Pelton

Good luck man your last game was amazing hope this one is also.

You should link your last few AAR's for the new peeps.

GZ should just shot Stalin heheh

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 2
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/12/2013 7:55:58 PM   
Blubel

Good luck!

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 3
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/12/2013 10:00:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Good luck and good hunt! Stay away from er... pockets!

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 4
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/22/2013 12:10:17 AM   
M60A3TTS

Week 1- 22 June 41

I'm not really into server-based games because I like to go back and do all the screenies at a later time. But Michael wants to guard against cheaters, so I go along here. There won't probably be as much visual presentation as in other games, at least early on.

MT gives me the extended Lvov pocket treatment, but air recon exposes a weakness around the Zbruch River. The 240th Mechanized Division exploits the gap and breaks the pocket.

In the center, Minsk is surrounded.

In the north, the port of Ventspils is surprisingly left unbombed and in Soviet hands. A rifle division and a security regiment take advantage of that lapse and sail off to safety.

The Red Air force heads for the national reserve. The usual fortified regions are disbanded and Black Sea, Baltic, and Volga air command HQs get their disband orders.

Sapper regiments are mobilized for the benefit of some armies. Three per army is the standard here.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 5
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/22/2013 12:23:51 AM   
Ketza

Extended pockets like that on turn one more often then not lead tend to be leaky. I prefer keeping them more secure by not biting off as much.

Good break!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 6
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/23/2013 10:53:39 PM   
M60A3TTS

WEEK 2 - 29 June 1941

In the north, the lead German elements are over the Daugava and on their way to Pskov. Riga continues to remain in Soviet hands.

In the center, reinforcements move up to the land bridge to oppose the lead German motorized and panzer elements.

In the south, the Axis forces are still digesting the remanants of the Lvov pocket. Defenders hold along the Yuzhny Bug.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 7
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 2/28/2013 11:19:00 PM   
M60A3TTS

WEEK 3 - 3 JULY 41

In the north, the lack of units forces a fallback to positions near Novgorod.

In the center, a double pincer move blows over the Dnepr and encircles most units at the Smolensk land bridge.

In the south, troops fall back towards Dnepropetrovsk-Zaporoyzhe.

OOB

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 8
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 3/1/2013 8:38:05 AM   
randallw

Looks troubled for the Russians already!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 9
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (No MT) - 3/2/2013 10:21:43 AM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

Looks troubled for the Russians already!

Time to deploy new armaments ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 10
The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 3/23/2013 8:29:09 PM   
M60A3TTS

As everyone knows, the campaign with MT came to an abrupt and disappointing end. I've continued along with another game started around the same time with a fellow who goes by the name of Gadjan. We are about to start turn 23. Like MT's game, it's server based so I don't have much in the way of screenshots.

To date, in the north Leningrad fell, and the German forces are attempting to link up with the Finns east of the Volkhov. It doesn't seem likely given the current battle lines and only two weeks of snow left, but we will see.

In the center, the fighting is going back and forth to the east of Smolensk, and at Bryansk. Moscow is quite safe from capture now, and the Western Front is supported by a full strength STAVKA army of cavalry as well as an army half full with tank brigades. The cavalry army is already over half way to guards status itself. I've swapped out lower morale units of Western Front and replaced them with units of higher morale. I'm also starting drop a few FZs in place to build the Spring '42 line.

To the south, Kharkov, Stalino, Rostov and the Crimea remain in Soviet hands. I've taken a little bit of a chance by leaving the T-34 factories in Kharkov all this time, but like Moscow it looks safe from capture with the blizzard coming soon.

Gadjan has been very much the anti-MT with little pocketing but a lot of grinding. The Red Army has taken about 3 million losses so far, but I've also been able to grind some German divisions down in turn. The fighting that has gone back and forth created quite a few guards divisions, both rifle and cavalry. I'm now comitting a few tank brigades to start their march towards guards status.

Air forces were pulled back on the first mud turn proper and units reassigned based on where vet experienced units were needed most.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 11
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 3/23/2013 8:34:14 PM   
M60A3TTS

North

Center

South

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 12
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 3/24/2013 1:04:00 AM   
Pelton

Nice job man. Should be a very good blizzard for you and a quick end to the war.

Only grinding never works vs humans

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 13
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 3/24/2013 4:03:49 AM   
rmonical

" Black Sea, Baltic, and Volga air command HQs get their disband orders"

Why?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 14
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 3/24/2013 5:12:51 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmonical

" Black Sea, Baltic, and Volga air command HQs get their disband orders"

Why?

Their personnel are the equivalent of a rifle division and are non-essential air command units. There are adequate frontal air commands.

(in reply to rmonical)
Post #: 15
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 3/24/2013 8:23:17 AM   
randallw

All you need is another 15 or 20 consecutive mud turns and you are in good shape.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 16
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 12:24:19 PM   
M60A3TTS

Gadjan resigned, so this one ended early. It can be a challenge just finding players of equal ability.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 17
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 6:32:14 PM   
sillyflower

You can try playing the PRO's

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 18
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 6:43:42 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Gadjan resigned, so this one ended early. It can be a challenge just finding players of equal ability

I think the best learning is in the crucible against humans.
Learning first hand what can be done, and what shouldn't be done goes a lot farther than reading an AAR.
It is a shame there isn't way to more effectively reach a person through server games for communication.

< Message edited by Seminole -- 4/1/2013 6:44:01 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 19
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Troix) - 4/1/2013 6:55:27 PM   
M60A3TTS

Mehring looks to be up next. We should be able to get to at least the blizzard in this one.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 20
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 7:23:03 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS
It can be a challenge just finding players of equal ability.

This game is like Chess in that differences in player ability quickly become apparent and steadily become exaggerated as the stronger player takes a grip on the game.Unless you are closely matched the game soon spirals out of control.I think it proves that it's very much a game of skill, luck plays very little part in it.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 21
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 11:11:04 PM   
Flaviusx

I don't quite buy this analogy to chess. I think it's more the case that the game has a number of built in feedback loops can get out of hand very easily. The entire morale mechanic, for example. And this despite various tweaks to normalize it. The design is inherently unstable. Good players consciously or subconsciously seek to leverage these mechanisms and once they succeed, it's hard for the opponent to recover.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 22
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 11:56:21 PM   
timmyab

There is even more of a feedback effect than chess, I'd agree with that.At least with chess your pieces don't become steadily more or less powerful according to how well you're doing.It's similar though in the way that a player with superior skills can make your position untenable remarkably quickly.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 23
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/1/2013 11:59:20 PM   
HITMAN202

I think Flaviusx is correct. In chess everyone knows the moves. They're rudimentary. The better players "see" the board and make the better moves.

But WITE is so complex that it takes time to learn the game rules, experience to how to use them, and then a talent (aptitude) for what Flaiusx describes. Guys like MT, Pelton, Flaviusx, and, unfortunately for me, THEPROS (Sillyflower and Blephegor) "know" what to do; whether consciously or unconsciously as Flaviusx states. Here's a personal example in my progress (a slow one) in WITE..

In a recent game I had to deal with a moderately strong Russian infantry unit with an 80% level 1 fort in a swamp hex that was preventing me from securing a big isolation. From my experience I "knew" that hasty attacks with the 3 Pz units available would fail. So I had to come up with another solution - I skirted around the unit in an unconventional way that worked.

As my motto says, "It takes time to play well. How long ?? It will take more time to tell."

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 24
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/2/2013 10:01:16 PM   
STEF78

From my relatively poor experience, the keys to win are (from the more to the less important)
- knowledge and understanding of the rules and mechanics... and it's really complex to handle with. Playing this game for more than a year I'm regularly discovering new points.
- experience: surviving your first blizzard as GHC. knowing the "true" effect of terrain, etc...
- tactical skill
- strategical skill

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 25
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries (Part Deux) - 4/4/2013 8:00:03 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I don't quite buy this analogy to chess. I think it's more the case that the game has a number of built in feedback loops can get out of hand very easily. The entire morale mechanic, for example. And this despite various tweaks to normalize it. The design is inherently unstable. Good players consciously or subconsciously seek to leverage these mechanisms and once they succeed, it's hard for the opponent to recover.

The "feedback loops" or as I like to call them exploits.

As with all games the top 5% of players know the exploits and look amazing until they are findly nerfed yrs later in most cases. From my 20 yrs of online playing, once the exploits are removed then you find out some of the 5% really survived on exploits and not skills. You also fine some of the guys that were good and not using exploits become great.

Most of the "feedback loops/ exploits " on the GHC side have been nerfed other then the Dragons for The Fatherland airlift.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> The STAVKA War Diaries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI