Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Before I Buy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Before I Buy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Before I Buy - 2/11/2013 2:20:29 PM   
HowieWowie

I've been looking at HUE on and off for the last year or so. Back in the day I played Harpoon and loved it. I'm at either HUE or Janes Fleet Command. I've always pulled back from clicking the HUE buy button because of the steep learning curve. I realize that FC is not the same game game as HUE but it seems that I strikes a nice balance between complexity and ease of use.

So I'm hovering over the HUE buy button again. I've looked at the Tutorial videos but it looks like it'll take a good 20 hours of study before I can start playing. Am I wrong? I play a lot of complicated board war games so complex rules don't bother me. What I want to avoid is having to get burdened with learning how to micromanage in order to play the game effectively. I rather focus on strategic/tactical decisions.

HUE is a pricey game (you can get FC for $9.95) so although I'm drawn to it I have this nagging feeling that I'll regret the purchase afterwards. I'm interested in hearing from any new players please.
Post #: 1
RE: Before I Buy - 2/12/2013 8:47:02 PM   
TonyE

If you played Harpoon before you already have all of the skills to play it again.  Interface-wise both of the games (H2/H3/ANW and HC/HCE/HUCE) have hardly changed at all since their original releases roughly 15 and 20 years ago.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to HowieWowie)
Post #: 2
RE: Before I Buy - 2/12/2013 11:51:39 PM   
CV32

I'll readily admit to bias, but there is no contest between Harpoon (of any flavour) and Jane's Fleet Command.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: Before I Buy - 2/13/2013 1:26:21 AM   
HowieWowie

Thanks guys! I'm downloading the demo and looking around the Harpgamer site.

Are there any tutorials, guides etc. Its been years since I played the original game and my memory hasn't gotten better with time.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 4
RE: Before I Buy - 2/13/2013 3:13:45 PM   
TonyE

Not a ton more than what you've surely run into already (the WestPac 1.0 scenario for instance is a walk-through). Feel free to come chat with us and ask us questions. http://webchat.freenode.net/ (channel is #harpgamer)

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to HowieWowie)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Before I Buy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI