Matrix Games Forums

Players compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta EstDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to conquer other races?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> How to conquer other races? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to conquer other races? - 2/11/2013 11:12:35 AM   
Shiv

Hi - I'm new to Distant Worlds but really, really enjoying it so far.

In my current game I'm playing as Humans and we've become locked in a long, drawn out war with the Boskarans. After many years of conflict and swapping colonies with each other, I've managed to get the upper hand and finally conquer the Boskaran homeworld. However much to my surprise the war did not end with my victory at the homeworld. Instead the Boskarans "moved" their capital to one of their other unconquered worlds - of which they have many I might add.

So am I correct in thinking that I will need to completely conquer all of their planets to knock them out of the game? Or failing that completely exterminate them with bombardments?

They are my only real competitors at this stage of the game so conquering them should lead me to the big win.

Any advice on strategies on how to grind them down would be most welcome.

Post #: 1
RE: How to conquer other races? - 2/11/2013 2:17:22 PM   
Arcatus

That is correct; to completely remove a race from the game you need to conqueror, bombard or destroy all of their planets.

However; Once their homeworld is conquered they will be severely crippled, and unlikely to be a threat.

But, depending on game settings, you don't need to exterminate them to win...

As you were able to take out a homeworld I don't think you will have any problems mopping up their minor colonies.

(in reply to Shiv)
Post #: 2
RE: How to conquer other races? - 2/12/2013 4:44:41 AM   
HectorOfTroy

Or maybe you can subjugate them. That's what I do when I play.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 3
RE: How to conquer other races? - 2/12/2013 9:35:54 AM   
Shiv

Thanks for the response guys

Well shortly after conquering the Boskaran homeworld I actually reached over 80% of my victory conditions and won the game I'm not entirely sure but I think the addition of the homeworld's huge population was enough to complete the 'control 33%? of galactic population' condition and make me the new Galactic Emperor!

For the record the Boskaran fleets packed greater firepower than my own - in particular their destroyers were already equipped with phasers and had about 320 firepower - compared to 180 firepower on my AI designed Terran cruisers. They were also very good at quick hit and run attacks using nuclear devastators to completely destroy my outer colonies

I pretty much had everything automated except for exploration - which I micro-managed as this was my first proper attempt at a game now that I'd gotten the hang of things a bit more. In many ways I was lucky in that I managed to discover Death Ray technology and adapted my standard cruisers to carry one deathray each. Without that I would have really struggled against the Boskarans - there's no way I could have conquered their homeworld otherwise.

Anyway thanks again for the advice; I'm off to start another game!

< Message edited by Shiv -- 2/12/2013 10:02:36 AM >

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 4
RE: How to conquer other races? - 2/12/2013 10:02:16 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Death Ray cruisers - now THAT is overkill)). Way to go!

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Shiv)
Post #: 5
RE: How to conquer other races? - 2/12/2013 11:22:25 AM   
Shiv

Yup - two fleets of 10 Death Ray Cruisers pretty much did it

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 6
RE: How to conquer other races? - 2/12/2013 1:38:10 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

Death Ray cruisers - now THAT is overkill)). Way to go!

The thought had occurred, what about a fleet of size 400 Death Ray carrying Stealth boats?

Never even dabbled with Stealth so far, so no idea how good/bad it might be. It like some of the other techs seemed targeted at a multiplayer environment, ie. cargo scanners. May have to try it next time I get Death rays or the ilk.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> How to conquer other races? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI