Fatigue Range - Stumped

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dante Fierro

Fatigue Range - Stumped

Post by Dante Fierro »

Quick question. After looking hard in manual and searching forums I am stumped regarding the fatigue number given for Air groups. It's not that I don't know what fatigue represents -but rather don't understand the number itself, as I could not find what the fatigue range is i.e. is it 0-100 like Morale? I read also on forums that one player would regularly rest a group as soon as fatigue hit the teens - which if the range is from 0-100, seems pretty conservative.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
cohimbra

RE: Fatigue Range - Stumped

Post by cohimbra »

Someone can tell you better than me, but in my game experience (two years) I noticed
that the fighters performance drop significantly once fatigue is more or less > 20.
A pair of sweep missions (in normal range, no drop tank) and one turn in rest is my
modus operandi. I find it work well.
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

Thanks cohimbra. My initial reaction at looking at the fatigue number would be to assume it's a percentage, but still not sure. But if a unit was 20% fatigued, it would seem then that 80% of the pilots being unfatigued would still make it pretty operational. But you and others seem to be saying not the case from gameplay.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Air group fatigue is the average of the individual pilot fatigue of the squad.
This is important to know, since a fat. value of 20 could mean 2 pilots at 20, or 1 pilot with fat 0 and 1 pilot with fat 40.

Pilot fatigue can range from 0 (no fat) to 100, but usually the fatigue at turns´ end is not higher than 50-60 maximum per pilot. The reason is that for a pilot to fly a mission
he has to pass a fatigue check. If he fails the check he does not participate in the mission.

Highly fatigued squads perform worse due to two factors: high fatigue of the pilots flying the mission, and a lower percentage of pilots participating on the mission.

Fatigue negatively affects performance in mission specific dice rolls (e.g. air skill, navB skill,...), negatively affects coordination, and increases op losses.

The best way to keep fatigue at lower levels, even in a combat environment, is simply to finetune the rest settings.
As a rule of thumb, the higher the mission frequency (e.g. CAP has a high mission frequency as compared to bombing missions), the longer the mission range, the higher
# of airframes / # of pilots, the higher the mission altitude, the larger the percentage of actual engagements (e.g. CAP which constantly faces incoming strikes), the higher
your rest setting has to be to keep fatigue within bearable levels.

On the long run high fatigue levels also affect pilot morale. A constantly high fatigue gain with low rest settings will drop moral pretty fast (this one is measured the other way
around...100 is best, 0 is worst), which is harder to recover than fatigue.

Personally I consider an avg. fatigue level of 25 to be high, +-10 depending on mission/airframe type, and environment.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Dante Fierro

Quick question. After looking hard in manual and searching forums I am stumped regarding the fatigue number given for Air groups. It's not that I don't know what fatigue represents -but rather don't understand the number itself, as I could not find what the fatigue range is i.e. is it 0-100 like Morale? I read also on forums that one player would regularly rest a group as soon as fatigue hit the teens - which if the range is from 0-100, seems pretty conservative.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Individual pilots have fatigue. Click on any Pilots tab (in yellow.) There's a column for that. If the unit has a lot more pilots than planes some pilots will usually be at zero. They might fly the next misison and they might not. So far as I know--never did the math, maybe it's in the manual--the unit fatigue number is the average of all the pilots' numbers. My observation is it runs from 0-99.

If fatigue goes too high the unit won't fly even if you order it to. "Too high" is well south of 99. This is influenced by other factors such as the leader's ratings. Weather, airframe fatigue state, malaria, etc. might be in there. I don't know. Personally I don't care. I take the stats the game gives me and I work with them as is. I have rules of thumb on what I do when fatigue or morale hit certain thresholds. My rules don't have to be your rules. Experiment. Develop your own style. It's part of the fun.
The Moose
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

Thank you LoBaron for your informative reply. Very helpful! So the range is 0-100, and apparently a % - but overall average. Didn't think of looking at the Individual pilots (doh!) - so thanks Bullwinkle for pointing it out. So fatigue ~25 and you should (all things being equal) probably rest if your opponent lets you. [:'(] Fatigue around 50+ and you need to start shipping caffeine pills.

I am hoping to develop my own style and become a Moose of my own calling.
obvert

Post by obvert »

You can also fly a group with a partial rest, like 10-20% while flying CAP, or more while flying LR CAP, to keep fatigue lower and morale higher.I don't like fatigue above 10 or morale below 90 in front line fighter groups.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Dante Fierro

Thank you LoBaron for your informative reply. Very helpful! So the range is 0-100, and apparently a % - but overall average. Didn't think of looking at the Individual pilots (doh!) - so thanks Bullwinkle for pointing it out. So fatigue ~25 and you should (all things being equal) probably rest if your opponent lets you. [:'(] Fatigue around 50+ and you need to start shipping caffeine pills.

I am hoping to develop my own style and become a Moose of my own calling.

It's important to understand that you are not in total control of this. AE is not built that way. You can order a unit with 75 fatigue to fly, be prepared to accept the consequences, and they flip you the bird and stay in bed. The game works like that in lots of places. There are lots of randoms too. You just have to accept this is not a game where you have god-like powers over actions taken by your forces. Nor do you ever have perfect information. You know, like a real war. [:)]

Some players accept that, like it, and stick around. Others don't and they move on to other games.
The Moose
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

It's important to understand that you are not in total control of this. AE is not built that way. You can order a unit with 75 fatigue to fly, be prepared to accept the consequences, and they flip you the bird and stay in bed. The game works like that in lots of places. There are lots of randoms too. You just have to accept this is not a game where you have god-like powers over actions taken by your forces. Nor do you ever have perfect information. You know, like a real war. [:)]

Some players accept that, like it, and stick around. Others don't and they move on to other games.

I like this about AE - i.e. no godlike omniscience. It also makes HQs, leadership and pilot choices more significant over time. As you say - like a real war (but free from real blood - big difference.)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”