Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hex size and mobility (reprise)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Hex size and mobility (reprise) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hex size and mobility (reprise) - 2/10/2013 5:51:23 PM   
rmonical

I saw a comment that hex size is 30 miles to the hex.

My analysis says that E-W size varies from 20 KM in the north to 29 KM in the far south and N-S is roughly 25 KM. Is that the design intent?

This is going to get back to my scenario design complaint on how quickly infantry divisions are limited to one movement point with reduced supply. In other words, an infantry corps can either move 25 KM in a week or conduct a single attack even when supply should be OK. This can, of course be addressed in the scenario design.

Mobility in general is far lower in TOF than any other game of this scale I have seen. I notice that Barbarossa has an ahistorical workaround to give German infantry a movement bonus.
Post #: 1
RE: Hex size and mobility (reprise) - 2/10/2013 7:53:29 PM   
doomtrader

This game is not a historical simulator, so we need to adjust some values to keep the gameplay factor attractive.

I'm also standing on a position where providing supply is crucial for maintaing the progress on front.

(in reply to rmonical)
Post #: 2
RE: Hex size and mobility (reprise) - 2/10/2013 9:03:32 PM   
gwgardner

I think infantry is too limited in APs also. Fortunately it's easily modable. I have not played with such a mod yet. The current APs are not so far off as to make historical outcomes impossible.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 2/10/2013 9:09:29 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Hex size and mobility (reprise) - 2/10/2013 9:06:10 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

This game is not a historical simulator, so we need to adjust some values to keep the gameplay factor attractive.

I disagree with that a bit. It's not a simulator, but it does allow for recreations of historical situations. Never adjust things for the sake of gameplay! Always for accuracy. You have generally done a fabulous job of making it historically realistic.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 2/10/2013 9:13:01 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 4
RE: Hex size and mobility (reprise) - 2/11/2013 12:46:44 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmonical
I saw a comment that hex size is 30 miles to the hex.

My analysis says that E-W size varies from 20 KM in the north to 29 KM in the far south and N-S is roughly 25 KM. Is that the design intent?

This is going to get back to my scenario design complaint on how quickly infantry divisions are limited to one movement point with reduced supply. In other words, an infantry corps can either move 25 KM in a week or conduct a single attack even when supply should be OK. This can, of course be addressed in the scenario design.

Mobility in general is far lower in TOF than any other game of this scale I have seen. I notice that Barbarossa has an ahistorical workaround to give German infantry a movement bonus.

I made the hex size comment based on the Manual entry :

The game is played on a hexagonal map, which may vary from few to roughly forty five
kilometers (about 30 miles) across, units are company/battalion to division/corps, and one turn
can represent one day, one week or even one month.

I missed the may vary bit, so I suppose it depends on the scale used to create the stock scenarios.

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to rmonical)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Hex size and mobility (reprise) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI