Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help, my pilot pools are killing me

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help, my pilot pools are killing me Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 1:33:19 AM   
Mike Hall

playing scenario 2 and it is mid-43. My monthly pilot HI costs are starting to really hurt, is there anything I can do to lower my number of pilots that are costing me? ( I am somewhat confused as to which ones cost HI )

here are my pools

IJA 1270 and IJN 1301 reserve pilots, IJA 125 and IJN 236 TRACOM pilots

training pools

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 1:55:07 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Hall
playing scenario 2 and it is mid-43. My monthly pilot HI costs are starting to really hurt, is there anything I can do to lower my number of pilots that are costing me? ( I am somewhat confused as to which ones cost HI )

here are my pools

IJA 1270 and IJN 1301 reserve pilots, IJA 125 and IJN 236 TRACOM pilots

training pools

Mike -

Well the answer is that scenario 2 gives and takes it away, Scen 2 has a much better economy to start with, gives more stuff but costs a whole lot more to maintain. Pilot training is no different in this.

Pilots that have graduated do not cost HI training. Pilots in training do.

HI pilot training costs are reconciled on the 1st of the month and are * 5 per pilot.

Solutions:
1. Have enough Advanced pilots in training command (groups of 10 iirc) to push out more pilots more quickly (but you'll still pay HI for the pilot, just over less time)
2. Manage your economy better to budget for the HI cost.

Please post a screen shot of your tracker econ chart or if you wish me to do a economic analysis, email me your save file.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to Mike Hall)
Post #: 2
RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 2:08:10 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Hall

To further clarify:
  • You have 11566 pilots in training(adding all the monthly pilots) * 5 = 57830 HI / mth.

Scenario 2 has always overcompensated with pilot training IMHO and is not the wonder drug of the JFB's

-Damian-
    EconDoc
    TrackerAE
    Tutes&Java

(in reply to Mike Hall)
  • Post #: 3
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 2:21:37 AM   
    Mike Hall

Up until recently I was packing away about 3700 HI points per day ( or maybe it was turn, as we are playing 2 day turns ) which made the monthly pilot cost less alarming.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 2:43:01 AM   
    seille

You really need that much armament and vehicles factories ?
    Imho you should be much more careful with your HI and try to not waste them.
    If you have a armament points reserve shut down some of the facs for a while. Same for the other industry.

I attached my own scen. 2 chart. You may see some differences. For example it is imho waste of supply and HI to repair
    captured LI and resource center. Also i did not repair any refineries i don´t have oil for.

So far i have no problems with pilot training HI points. It´s just a question of good balance in production.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by seille -- 2/9/2013 2:51:20 AM >

(in reply to Mike Hall)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 3:18:41 AM   
    Mike Hall

if you want your base forces and engineers to have radar you have allow them to upgrade, which which eats up a ton of armement points also as you will also upgrade all the weapons in the unit.

(in reply to seille)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 3:30:04 AM   
    seille

You cut your screen above pool points for armaments.
    You´re short ?

With my 260 facs actually i still buil up a reserve AND i´ll be able to reactivate the facs i have shut down yet in case i need more armament points.
    Beside this i expanded the HI facs a bit to get more supply and HI points. I did not repair any LI i captured.

(in reply to Mike Hall)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 3:54:16 AM   
    jmalter

my suggestion:

make a list of the non-radar devices that your BFs & Engrs will upgrade to.
    access the Industry/Troops/Resource Pools screen from the Intelligence screen.
    set all the devices on your list to Stockpile=Y.
    then set Upgrade On for your BFs (latest beta lets you keep Replacements Off).

i believe that this will limit the Arm Pts cost to the radars only.
    (don't forget to switch back to Stockpile=N when you want to use them for an Upgrade!)

(in reply to seille)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 4:23:18 AM   
    PaxMondo

Since this is Mid-43:

1.  You should be targetting +3M HI by end of '43 .. you are behind target.  Cut your expenses.
    2.  You overbuilt VEH.  Not saying you don't need them, but your economy can't support that.
    3.  If you are still building merchant, you are just building VP's for the allies. 
    4.  Ditto Naval once your last CV's are built.
    5.  Your fuel and oil are both low.  Gotta cut back on your naval movements or your Empire will crash.

All of these are consistent with the historical facts.  The KB sat a lot in port as it did not have the fuel to sail. 

Good luck!

Just my thoughts.

Pax

(in reply to jmalter)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 8:47:42 AM   
    inqistor

If you have free 10 hours you can empty your training schools. Just draw new pilots into large airgroup (from pool), and immediately release them into reserve.

Once your pools are empty you will begin drawing untrained pilots from schools.

(in reply to Mike Hall)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 12:11:50 PM   
    Miller

September 45 in my game, pilot training costs me 120k points a month in HI.

(in reply to inqistor)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 3:05:05 PM   
    pompack

While it is too late to help you now, there are a number of points about Scen 2 that you have to keep in mind from the very first turn

1. You are going to run out of supply points in 43 unless you increase supply production
    2. You alre going to run out of HI points unless you increase HI production
    3. If you increase HI production you will run out of resources as well as fuel
    4. Increasing HI production increases both HI and supply AND it uses fewer resource points/supply than LI
    5. Increasing any kind of produciton uses 1100 supply points/point
    6. Typically you can increase (the more you capture undamaged the better) your HI to about 9500-9700 without outrunning resource production and given repair of every oil point you will have enough fuel (if you can get it to the right place); note that this HI increase alone will cost over 2,000,000 supply

SO
    a. never repair refineries, you have more than enough refineries to process every drop of oil even after repairing every oil point UNLESS you had really bad luck with captured refineries
    b. Build no more production factories than you need to provide a reasonable production margin (costs supply to build them) and shut down marginal production as soon as you build a sufficient pad backlog (costs HI to run them)
    c. Build up a backlog of both oil and fuel in the HI to prepare for the time when you can't transport the stuff anymore
    d. Increase HI EARLY to get the increased supply and HI benifit going as soon as possible BUT watch your supply level; if you try to expand all at once you won't have enough supply for operations
    e. Increase HI BEFORE you increase production factories; you will need additional HI and supply later more than you need additional a/c and armaments now.

Recognize that you are going to run out of Supply, Resources, and Fuel eventually; if you plan your production right they will all run out simultaneously . You should not run out of HI until after the Home Islands are cut off from resources and fuel/oil unless you over produce. Also note that the longer your opponent lets you sit idle in 42-43 the longer your supply and HI will last; combat and movement costs supply while combat attrition cost HI to produce replacements. This also implies that you should not continue to advance your perimeter unless you can achieve reasonable strategic (not tactical) gains.

(in reply to Miller)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Help, my pilot pools are killing me - 2/9/2013 6:39:22 PM   
    Numdydar

I am in a PBEM game and it is late '44 and I have plenty of supplies, my econ is balanced And I did NOT do any of the above things. I greatly expanded my engine and AC factories and building 2,200 AC/month and engines to support them. I did not expand any HI and repaired everything that could be repaired as in RL, Japan expected to keep what they had taken and would have repaired the facilities.

Pilot costs have been running between 40-60K HI for most of the game. Since the beginning of '44 it has droped down to around 30K/month. On July 1, 44 it only cost me 21K not sure why. I have 14, 346 pilots in my pool and another 17K in training.

Below is my Ind screen

EDIT: This is from Scen 2 in case it was not clear. The reason it says Custom is because we fully repaired the Kate prod factories as they were all damanged at the start of the scenerio which made no sense to us

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 2/10/2013 4:15:40 PM >

(in reply to pompack)
    Post #: 13
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help, my pilot pools are killing me Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI