Can you simulate WW2 Pacific naval/air combat?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

bretg80

Can you simulate WW2 Pacific naval/air combat?

Post by bretg80 »

Wouldn't it be interesting to try Midway or the Marianas campaign in this simulator?
I'll be back
fab94

RE: Can you simulate WW2 Pacific naval/air combat?

Post by fab94 »

i think no because database cover 1949 to 2020
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Yes and no.

Yes: Because in comparison with other games in this category (e.g. Harpoon) Command offers better modelling of older systems like unguided torpedoes, depth charges, _much_ better modelling of the factors affecting guns and other unguided weapons, better warhead/armor/damage modelling, improved blast models, better tactical AI (incl. things like OODA cycles) etc. etc. Weather also has a much bigger effect .

No: Because in comparison with other titles more targeted on this era and scale (e.g. WitP, CaW or TF1942) Command lacks the strategic-level elements (e.g. industrial production, political directions and contraints etc.) that are useful for modelling such conflicts. Certain technological (e.g. subs without snorkels, effects of plunging fire, significant comms delays etc.) and AI (e.g. deliberately crossing the T) elements that heavily influence tactical combat are also absent since these became much less critical/prevalent post-war. Furthermore, lots of early platforms are not currently included since our DB focus is on units that survived WW2 and saw service also post-war. (The latter can of course be remedied if you cooperate with the DB authors and provide all the information needed to faithfully model early platforms).

Considering that despite its WW2-relevant limitations Harpoon has already seen WW2 scenarios and databases with some success, it is reasonable to state that one can create WW2-themed tactical/operational scenarios in Command with good results, provided that the weaknesses and limitations of the game for this era are recognised and worked around or avoided.

TL;DR version: The "modern" word is in the title for a reason [:)]
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Certain technological (e.g. subs without snorkels, effects of plunging fire, significant comms delays etc.) and AI (e.g. deliberately crossing the T) elements that heavily influence tactical combat are also absent since these became much less critical/prevalent post-war.

I read somewhere that modern games don't take the arcs of the guns into account because they don't matter nowadays whereas they did in the middle of the 20th Century.

Does "Command" cater for simple contact mines?

Considering that despite its WW2-relevant limitations Harpoon has already seen WW2 scenarios and databases with some success

You wouldn't have a link to these, would you? I've read of Harpoon being used so, but have never been able to find details.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Does "Command" cater for simple contact mines?
Yes.
You wouldn't have a link to these, would you? I've read of Harpoon being used so, but have never been able to find details.
Here: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=7.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

Considering that despite its WW2-relevant limitations Harpoon has already seen WW2 scenarios and databases with some success

If you are a Harpoon Classic player, go to http://harpgamer.com , in the search box enter HCWW and select Downloads as the xection to search (click where it says Forums to the left of the magnifying glass). Sunburn nails the limitations of Harpoon for WWII efforts.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
czert2

Post by czert2 »

it is planed to in later patches or even expansion to improve/implement modeling of wwii (or even wwi) warfare ?
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

There are a number of thoughts, but first we'd need to identify a solid market demand for such a move (and justify stepping into a sub-niche already served well by other titles).
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Thanks for your replies.
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

Granted this sub-niche is well served by other games, but the same could be said of the whole naval war sim niche being served well by Harpoon. I am a firm believer that Command will be to the next decade what Harpoon was to the last, being the game that serves this niche so well that resistance is futile. With this engine I think you guys could make an amazing WWII naval wargame. Granted, I would never expect you folks to divert energy and time away from Command until it has been firmly entrenched in the naval wargaming community, but some time down the line I do hope you take a look at building a WWII version.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

+1 on modeling WW2 with this engine. After all, it WAS the biggest naval/air clash since ever.
No: Because in comparison with other titles more targeted on this era and scale (e.g. WitP, CaW or TF1942) Command lacks the strategic-level elements (e.g. industrial production, political directions and contraints etc.) that are useful for modelling such conflicts.

If the focus remains on the tactical/operational, then this becomes less important. Campaigns could always be handled on a linked-scenario basis.
Certain technological (e.g. subs without snorkels, effects of plunging fire, significant comms delays etc.) and AI (e.g. deliberately crossing the T) elements that heavily influence tactical combat are also absent since these became much less critical/prevalent post-war.

This is probably the hardest development task. So I hope you make lots of money and start 'stretching out'.
Furthermore, lots of early platforms are not currently included since our DB focus is on units that survived WW2 and saw service also post-war. (The latter can of course be remedied if you cooperate with the DB authors and provide all the information needed to faithfully model early platforms).

Luckily, there's tons of resources and I'm sure volunteers that would be available to develop a WW2 DB.

JimMerson

Post by JimMerson »

Did I just hear "Jutland"?

ORIGINAL: czert2

it is planed to in later patches or even expansion to improve/implement modeling of wwii (or even wwi) warfare ?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

I was at the Civil War table but somebody brought up Monitors at Historicon...just sayin[;)]
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

If we talk about BIG naval battles maybe we need talk more about age of sail or even early i think in Lepanto battle for example.

212 ships[2]

28,500 soldiers[5]
40,000 sailors and oarsmen[2]
1,815 guns[citation needed]

251 ships

31,490 soldiers
50,000 sailors and oarsmen
741 guns (est.)[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lepanto
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

I'll ask Rag how we can model triremes and ramming.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

For a test purpouse age of sail is other option hehehe but a game covering WW2 is more interesting... after finish the modern version with tons of scens, is great see scens upload BEFORE the game release [:'(]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I didn't see an answer to the question about gun training...do gun weapons have arcs or is it like Harpoon where it doesn't matter where they are mounted.

btw, I saw in the wargamer interview that a 1950 Korean War scenario is included...that is pretty darn close to WW2.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

They have arcs and they are taken into account for engagements up to 10nm. Beyond that range arcs are ignored.

Thanks!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I am not buying it! I already have a scenario in mind where I need guns at 10.001nm.

Just kidding, great job.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

How about trireme warfare? Don't tell me u have left that out too. NO SALE!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”