Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.20 Patch Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> 1.20 Patch Question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 12:08:59 AM   
Forwarn45

I was just reviewing the change log for the patch. I was wondering if the issue with St. Petersburg being susceptible to bombardment by Germany was addressed? (By giving it a port, etc.) It sounded like a serious issue for PBEM, unless the players made some kind of agreement.
Post #: 1
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 1:32:35 AM   
kirk23

Still has no port I'm afraid to say.

Make it so!

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 1:57:36 AM   
Jonathan Pollard

Not only that, but Britain now starts out with no sub units whatsoever. In the past, the Brit sub could try to impede the bombardment of St. Petersburg. Also, the Germans have 2 battleships now that can makes it easier to neutralize the Russian navy which stays at its 1-battleship level prior to the patch.

"We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba." "We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even Washington." - US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Operation Northwoods, 1962

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 5:09:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Still has no port I'm afraid to say.
warspite1

Oh good grief.....

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 5:29:09 AM   
warspite1

I can't download as I have games on-going, so can someone tell me what the naval starting forces are now please?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 9:08:51 AM   
Lord Zimoa

Of course, this is an Open Beta and more changes are planned before we release an official version... like French language support, map-editor and whatever feedback, suggestions, bugs, problems, wishes we collect.

This is the reason why we use Open Beta`s in the first place.

We do what we can and are open to suggestions and improvements, eg. we are working on a more elaborate diplomacy system, experimenting with destroyers and other naval improvements as posted, but some of these may only end up in a new game based on the Commander engine, if possible we may back patch into CTGW, but not all will make it, it depends on so many factors, in theory it all sounds easy and splendid changes, but anyone who ever created a game and code knows that this is theory in practice the most simple and tiny changes sometimes cause big problems.

A good example was the animation bug we had in the third party open source video codec Theora we use to play some in game animations, like the turning loading gearwheel... that little bug cost us two weeks to conquer, rewriting a lot of code and disabling almost half of game functionality...

Reason why we handle with care: stability, bugs, balance, MP, localization compatibility, time...

So please test and report your feedback, we are listening and do what we can to accommodate your wishes, but understand not all sometimes can or will be granted and if they don`t get in, be sure we have good reasons. ;-)

www.thelordzgamesstudio.com
www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 10:42:36 AM   
Myrddraal

It's also the case that it's difficult to keep track of all the community requests. Adding a port to St. Petersburg is easy to do. I'll add it to the list right now.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 12:03:46 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I can't download as I have games on-going, so can someone tell me what the naval starting forces are now please?

Britain starting force = 3 Battleships,6 Cruisers

German starting force = 2 Battleships,3 Cruisers & 1 Sub.

Apart from Turkey 1 Cruiser,all others unchanged I think!

Make it so!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 7:01:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

It's also the case that it's difficult to keep track of all the community requests. Adding a port to St. Petersburg is easy to do. I'll add it to the list right now.
warspite1

Great thank-you

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/7/2013 10:01:32 PM   
kirk23

Hi Myrddraal, I'm happy to report that with this latest patch,the game is moving in the right direction,so much so that I can see a time, when I won't have to mod the game to be 100% happy with it,now thats a rare compliment!

Make it so!

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 10
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/8/2013 10:38:42 AM   
Myrddraal

Petrograd and Helsinki now have ports, they'll be in the official patch release. Are there any other quick ones we missed?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 11
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/8/2013 1:35:15 PM   
kirk23

As options I have added quite a few new ports,Brindisi at the mouth of the Adriatic for the Italians this was a major base,Port Said in Egypt,Trondheim,Bergen & Kristiansand in Norway,Stettin & Cuxhaven for Germany since Hamburg is unable to place a port to name just a few,ports are easy to add as a mod anyway, now that I have learned to keep cities apart.

Also if possible I would like to have a take back last move option,as there have been a number of times,I have done a boo boo.

Plus any chance off a hot key in game to display HEX COORDINATES please!

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 2/8/2013 3:01:38 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 12
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/9/2013 11:59:50 AM   
Myrddraal

Hi guys,

Anyone playing the patch, we're particularly keen to get feedback on two issues:

- Overpowered armoured trains
- Strategic bombardments

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 13
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/9/2013 1:35:24 PM   
warspite1

I am keen to play but have games outstanding to finish

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 14
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/9/2013 2:39:33 PM   
zokk

I'm looking at the book "World War I" by H.P. Willmott. There are maps of naval bases on pages 178 (North Sea) and 186 (Mediterranean).

The North Sea map shows 10 British naval bases, plus 5 British ports bombarded by Germany. The map also shows 9 German naval bases, 1 in Belgium, 1 in Kiel, plus 7 along the German coastline between Holland and Denmark.

I'm sure there are differences in scale between the map in the book and in the game. My best guess of changes to recommend based on the map are:

North Sea
- Add at least one port on the coast of Germany between Holland and Denmark.
- Add the city of Hull as a port on the coast of England.
- Add the city of Cromarty as a port on the coast of Scotland.
- Add a port to Norwich to represent Great Yarmouth.
- Add the city of Dover as a port. The map shows 4 naval bases clustered near London, so Dover would be a good choice to represent this.

Mediterranean
- Add a port to Genoa.
- Add a port to Tripoli.
- Possibly add Brindisi as a port (unless Taranto represents both ports, adding Brindisi may be overkill at this scale).
- Possibly remove the port from Nice (the map only shows Toulon as a French port on the Mediterranean.
- Maybe add a port to Cattaro (the map shows one there).
- Possibly remove the port from Split (map doesn't show one there).
- Maybe add Durazzo as a port in Albania.
- Remove the port from Tobruk.
- Add Port Said as a port city in Egypt.
- Add port to Kerch in the Black Sea to represent Theodosia.
- Venice is not shown as a naval base. Leave as-is, do not add.

Out of all of these, I think that an extra German port between Holland and Denmark is the most important. Germany had a very large cluster of naval bases in that region. Genoa and Tripoli also seem to me to be important to change. I also think ports in Bergen and Stockholm are warranted. They are not shown on the maps in the book since they were neutral, but Scandinavia currently only has two ports and both Bergen and Stockholm seem like obvious ports to add.

Also, would it make sense to change Milan to a second Italian capital? How about New York as a second American capital? Every other major country has at least two capitals. Both Italy and the USA have only one capital and they are both coastal, making them vulnerable to seaborne invasion while they are neutral.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 15
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/9/2013 4:22:42 PM   
warspite1

I think you have to be careful with all these ports. I do not think - with a few exceptions - that the game designers have done a bad job. If you put all these suggested ports in, then you will need limitations on the number and type of ships that can base there, their inherent defence factors etc.

I'm sure the British could have tried to base the Grand Fleet off Great Yarmouth, but it wouldn't have been very safe - or practical.

(in reply to zokk)
Post #: 16
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/10/2013 12:11:01 AM   
zokk

True, I don't think we need to add too many ports. The list above was based on what I saw on the maps. If it were me making changes, I'd add one more port to the German coast between Holland and Denmark, and add ports to Genoa, Tripoli, Bergen, and Stockholm. I'd also consider the possibility of one more port on the eastern coast of Britian, maybe adding Hull.

Also, there are a few hexes in Russia that are on the eastern shore of the Caspian Sea that are unreachable. In one game, I rejected the Russian surrender offer and tried to conquer the whole country. Since I couldn't reach those last few hexes, Russia refused to offer another surrender, even though I took the rest of the country. Please consider fixing this in a patch.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/10/2013 6:55:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zokk

Both Italy and the USA have only one capital and they are both coastal, making them vulnerable to seaborne invasion while they are neutral.
warspite1

Another patch question - has the rule concerning choice of where units are placed for countries entering the war been amended yet?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/10/2013 7:08:28 PM >

(in reply to zokk)
Post #: 18
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/10/2013 8:58:14 PM   
Myrddraal

quote:

Another patch question - has the rule concerning choice of where units are placed for countries entering the war been amended yet?

Countries entering the war now get the first turn (with the exception of France & Belgium). Units are still in static starting positions, but the player gets a chance to redeploy forces before being attacked.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/11/2013 6:15:45 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

quote:

Countries entering the war now get the first turn (with the exception of France & Belgium). Units are still in static starting positions, but the player gets a chance to redeploy forces before being attacked.
warspite1

Okay thanks.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 20
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/11/2013 9:50:37 AM   
stockwellpete

A little while ago I suggested that Bordeaux, not Marseilles, should be the second French capital as the French moved their administration there temporarily in 1914. Has that been included in the patch please?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 21
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/11/2013 10:08:47 AM   
Myrddraal

It hasn't, but I'll change that now.

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 22
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/11/2013 10:35:51 AM   
stockwellpete

Cheers!

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 23
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/17/2013 2:42:25 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Of course, this is an Open Beta and more changes are planned before we release an official version... like French language support, map-editor and whatever feedback, suggestions, bugs, problems, wishes we collect.

This is the reason why we use Open Beta`s in the first place.

We do what we can and are open to suggestions and improvements, eg. we are working on a more elaborate diplomacy system, experimenting with destroyers and other naval improvements as posted, but some of these may only end up in a new game based on the Commander engine, if possible we may back patch into CTGW, but not all will make it, it depends on so many factors, in theory it all sounds easy and splendid changes, but anyone who ever created a game and code knows that this is theory in practice the most simple and tiny changes sometimes cause big problems.

A good example was the animation bug we had in the third party open source video codec Theora we use to play some in game animations, like the turning loading gearwheel... that little bug cost us two weeks to conquer, rewriting a lot of code and disabling almost half of game functionality...

Reason why we handle with care: stability, bugs, balance, MP, localization compatibility, time...

So please test and report your feedback, we are listening and do what we can to accommodate your wishes, but understand not all sometimes can or will be granted and if they don`t get in, be sure we have good reasons. ;-)

Don't let us down! The only reason I bought this is because your studio consistently makes great games!

OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 24
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/19/2013 9:46:27 PM   
stockwellpete

Just remembered - some of us asked that the onset and the end of winter could vary slightly from year to year (just to keep us all guessing a bit). Is that possible to do at all?

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 25
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/22/2013 2:51:25 PM   
FOARP

Suggestions:

- ports should give full supply to connected land units. Right now units in territories without a capital (e.g., Ireland, Sicily, Algeria) have half supply even though they are on home turf.

- cruisers should have a weak bombardment ability. Most cruisers had guns in the range of 6-8 inches: more than enough to hit units in-land.

- Do something to help Romania. They are almost always ROFLstomped early. Historically they held out for months - not a few weeks.

- It's too easy to beat Turkey in MP since the British player can simply park armoured cars off the Turkish coast and insta-invade, capture a city and then sweep through the country. Maybe give Turkey one-hex territorial waters which cannot be entered whilst they remain neutral or something?

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 26
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/22/2013 4:02:02 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

- It's too easy to beat Turkey in MP since the British player can simply park armoured cars off the Turkish coast and insta-invade, capture a city and then sweep through the country. Maybe give Turkey one-hex territorial waters which cannot be entered whilst they remain neutral or something?

The only place this can be done with 100% probability of success is in Kuwait, which the British historically took over in 1914. If the Brits try to do this at Izmir, the Turks can simply rail a unit there on their first move. However, it may be worthwhile for the Brits to declare war on Turkey before they enter in order to get the first move which guarantees a capture of Izmir if an armored car is next to it. I don't know if declaring war against Turkey will negatively affect the entry of other countries such as Italy and the USA into the war, but if it does not, then declaring war in order to get the first move is definitely worthwhile.

EDIT: According to the diplomacy screen, declaring war against Turkey will cause Bulgaria to automatically join the CP because of a defensive pact.

< Message edited by Jonathan Pollard -- 2/22/2013 4:22:35 PM >

"We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba." "We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even Washington." - US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Operation Northwoods, 1962

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 27
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/23/2013 4:34:22 PM   
operating

Checked my Matrix startup window for updates, says I am current, however 1.20 version does not appear. I have the early update (1.14 I believe), but not the latest, Where do I get it? For I don't see 2 German battleships in the games launched from 1914 on.

(in reply to Jonathan Pollard)
Post #: 28
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/23/2013 5:28:07 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

The new Public Beta is available in the Members Club.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 29
RE: 1.20 Patch Question - 2/24/2013 8:22:55 AM   
operating

Jonathan Pollard

Thanks for the tip, downloaded 1.20, it's a whole new ballgame now!

(in reply to Jonathan Pollard)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> 1.20 Patch Question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI