Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the wife

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the wife Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the wife - 2/5/2013 2:01:38 PM   
David The Great

It seems that some players are bullied around by their wife/partner/gaylord, maybey they lack arguments to convince them that wargaming is not such a bad deal.
To help them out i suggest to come up with some arguments that can be used to convince them.
Some ideas :

1 strip bars are more expensive
2 I'm always ( physical ) near you .
etc ...
Post #: 1
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 3:54:27 PM   
jeffk3510

I sit right by my wife and talk with her the entire time (laptop). Her main hobby (only hobby really) is reading. I bought her a Kindle a couple of years ago, and we both sit on the couch while she reads, and I play WiTPAE...works out well. She doesn't complain about it one bit.

I am not out in the bars (not that I would go anyways), or not at home for any reason.

I haven't really explained it to her, but, my knowledge of ships, planes, and geography as vastly improved, so it is almost like studying history for me so to speak.

I don't ever play it or any game while the kids are up or chores are not done.

I don't let it take over my life.

To be honest, if you're responsible with your own life/duties/time etc...WiTP is just something you do in your free time. If your significant other has a problem with it, then it is something else you're doing wrong.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to David The Great)
Post #: 2
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 4:24:39 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 3
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 4:26:35 PM   
Chickenboy

Language, Grafin. Language.

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 4
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 6:21:40 PM   
nashvillen

There are women and children that read this board...

Oh, yeah, forgot. You are a woman...

So, remember, there are children that read this board...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 6:35:48 PM   
witpqs

Fixed your post by adding a bit borrowed from a Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant:
quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

There are women and children that read this board...

Oh, yeah, forgot. You are a woman...

So, remember, there are children and those who act like children that read this board...

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 6
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 6:41:19 PM   
dorjun driver

What Ms. Zeppelin said.

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 7:41:40 PM   
Dixie

If I have learned anything from TV, and I have, it is that women like kittens. So show the lovely lady a picture of a kitten and she'll be just fine. This advice was courtesy of Mr Cholmondley-Warner

My wife doesn't understand it, she actually thinks it's geeky. This is a woman who watched films about sparkly vampires Justpoint out that you are the man of the house and order her to give you permission to play.

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 8
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 7:50:07 PM   
Ranger5355

At home, sober and quiet.
My wife loves this game

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 8:16:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Why does Robin have his hair in a bun? Please don't tell me he was a cross dresser?

Post #: 10
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 8:24:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

My wife doesn't understand it, she actually thinks it's geeky.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 11
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 9:08:14 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Why does Robin have his hair in a bun? Please don't tell me he was a cross dresser?

He goes by the name "Robin", he wears colorful tights and a cape... has it taken you this long to figure it out? Why do you think that the millionaire batchelor lets him live with him?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 12
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 9:28:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

He goes by the name "Robin", he wears colorful tights and a cape... has it taken you this long to figure it out? Why do you think that the millionaire batchelor lets him live with him?

Hory Crap, Batman! <decades of innocence are lost in an instant>

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 13
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 9:40:46 PM   
DOCUP

I don't argue.  I turn on a chick flick or a TV show she likes. Distraction works very well.

Post #: 14
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 9:47:31 PM   
DivePac88

It's simple for me, as I'm Loading AE I look over at Mrs DivePac and say 'you are looking good tonight dear'.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 15
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 9:57:59 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

Tis one better ?

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 16
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 10:00:51 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

It's simple for me, as I'm Loading AE I look over at Mrs DivePac and say 'you are looking good tonight dear'.

Hmmmmmmm charming. Not bad at all actually.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 17
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 10:12:27 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

...did batman steal that line from this guy?

Attachment (1)

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Post #: 18
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 10:15:57 PM   
nashvillen

At home, in a central location in the house, can drop what I am doing unless it is running a turn, then just wait for a combat results screen, and do what needs to be done from loading the dishwasher (No, I am not saying get her a drink!), to clearing a jam in the toilet that my nearly 13 year old son has left. She knows I am there for her. If she needs to talk, there is a chair next to me, she just has to move Queen Sasha (Our Siamese) from her post on it and sit down and talk to me. Again, plenty of time to pause from the game and pay attention.

Also, listen to the house. Know what is going on. Call the kids in occasionally and talk to them about things the wife wants talked about. It is all great and wonderful, so when she hears the "Ding-Ding" of a turn loading, she knows all is well. It becomes a comforting sound, it becomes something she looks forward to hearing.

It is all about the conditioning.

Post #: 19
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 10:55:56 PM   
Colonel Mustard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

If I have learned anything from TV, and I have, it is that women like kittens. So show the lovely lady a picture of a kitten and she'll be just fine. This advice was courtesy of Mr Cholmondley-Warner

My wife doesn't understand it, she actually thinks it's geeky. This is a woman who watched films about sparkly vampires Justpoint out that you are the man of the house and order her to give you permission to play.

Let us all know how that works out, will you?

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 10:57:03 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

At home, in a central location in the house, can drop what I am doing unless it is running a turn, then just wait for a combat results screen, and do what needs to be done from loading the dishwasher (No, I am not saying get her a drink!), to clearing a jam in the toilet that my nearly 13 year old son has left. She knows I am there for her. If she needs to talk, there is a chair next to me, she just has to move Queen Sasha (Our Siamese) from her post on it and sit down and talk to me. Again, plenty of time to pause from the game and pay attention.

Also, listen to the house. Know what is going on. Call the kids in occasionally and talk to them about things the wife wants talked about. It is all great and wonderful, so when she hears the "Ding-Ding" of a turn loading, she knows all is well. It becomes a comforting sound, it becomes something she looks forward to hearing.

I don't know whether this is charming or...unsettling.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 21
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 10:59:21 PM   
Colonel Mustard

quote:

quote:

That's not a bun, just a cowlick. Not that that's much better....

I think the picture should show Robin's mask flying off.

Post #: 22
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 11:08:12 PM   
Colonel Mustard

quote:

Choose one of the following:

A: Diplomacy - The art of letting someone else have your way.

Or:

B: Emasculation - The art of doing whatever it takes to keep the woman happy and yourself out of the usual pile of s###.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 23
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/5/2013 11:25:03 PM   
DivePac88

I have another cunning scheme I use sometimes too;

After a long day Mrs DivePac and I usually both end-up in the living-room in front of the TV. I ask her to pick which program she whats to watch, so she will pick something that she wants to Listen to. Then in my most boring tone I can do, I start a conversation with her, something like this; 'I am getting increasingly disappointed with the consistency of the thickness of individual slices of factory-sliced bread dear, what do you think is going on?'. Then normally after I say this, Mrs Divepac will turn and say, 'Aren't you going to play your game tonight dear?' - Touche!

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Colonel Mustard)
Post #: 24
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/6/2013 1:21:57 AM   
Maglio

DivePac aproach to the problem, worked in the most awesome way!!!

However, I must say Mrs Maglio was reading 50 shades of grey

“Tres barquichuelos dieron a los Reyes de España la posesión del Nuevo Mundo, estas cuatro tablas van a quitárselo”.

Bernardo O' Higgins, October 10th, 1818, while watching the Chilean first fleet getting underway.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 25
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/6/2013 2:27:18 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maglio

DivePac aproach to the problem, worked in the most awesome way!!!

However, I must say Mrs Maglio was reading 50 shades of grey

If you think you are "off the hook", amigo.......

You will probably be summoned upstairs shortly

(in reply to Maglio)
Post #: 26
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/6/2013 2:50:01 AM   
Colonel Mustard

quote:

If you think you are "off the hook", amigo.......

You will probably be summoned upstairs shortly

You just need to show her how WITP-AE models Prisoners of War. Then you can go back your game uninterrupted for the rest of the night.

Just don't forget to let her loose before you fall asleep.

Post #: 27
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/6/2013 3:27:52 AM   
wdolson

I'm free to do what I want as long as I supply a minimum spec of attention each day. She has two jobs, actually two full blown careers (over achiever is an understatement), so she is usually ignoring me because she has some fire to fight.

Each situation is different. Someone with an extroverted mate is going to want a lot more attention than an introverted mate. Introverts want attention from their mate, but they're usually fine with doing their own thing while you're busy with something. Extroverts usually have more trouble with silence in their space and get antsy if there isn't something going on. So they often are somewhat more high maintenance mates who need more attention.

Both my mate and I are very introverted, so each doing our own thing while hanging out in the same room is perfectly fine most of the time.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Colonel Mustard)
Post #: 28
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/6/2013 3:35:33 AM   
jeffk3510

quote:

Touche!

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 29
RE: Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the... - 2/6/2013 3:36:29 AM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I have another cunning scheme I use sometimes too;

After a long day Mrs DivePac and I usually both end-up in the living-room in front of the TV. I ask her to pick which program she whats to watch, so she will pick something that she wants to Listen to. Then in my most boring tone I can do, I start a conversation with her, something like this; 'I am getting increasingly disappointed with the consistency of the thickness of individual slices of factory-sliced bread dear, what do you think is going on?'. Then normally after I say this, Mrs Divepac will turn and say, 'Aren't you going to play your game tonight dear?' - Touche!

Hahahaha!

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Helping eachother out, arguments to use to calm the wife Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI