The Russians

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bobthehatchit

The Russians

Post by Bobthehatchit »

I'm into August 45 as Japan and my not so friendly neighbours are knocking on the door.

I've fortified the river line at Taonan (5000AV in and other 5000AV two hexes away in support to defend against attacks from the north) and Harbin (5000AV) and that the rail line at Muntaking (5000AV) and Yenki, with major forces covering the rail and road leading from Voroshilov into the boarder forts around 12000AV at each. There are 40-50 units advancing with 200,000 troops plus each along these routes.

I'm hoping I can hold them, i've got every spare division bar a few half built once in the home island,all my ART and armour units and plenty of supply behind level nine forts but I truth expect to get the crap beaten out of me, to be befair thats what you'd expect, WW1 era equiped Japanie unts don't really stand all that much chance againt the might of the 1945 era red army. I've going to keep on playing regardless as i want to play with some of the later era toys.

Now I have to admit to beating up on the AI, I've held Americans at arms length and the British are stopped outside Mandalay, Chinas got Chungking and not a lot else so no worries there.

With the origional WITP after dealing with the chinese i manged take on the russians in 43 and win gamey I know but kind of fun. Is that possible in AE? Has anyone done it, Im playing for the fun of it so "historical accuracy" not all that important. But I am considering loading up a save I have from the 1st 43 and having a crack at the russians once ive re-deloyed my forces.
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
Sakai007

RE: The Russians

Post by Sakai007 »

I play in a similar style to yours, it's my war and I will fight it as such kind of thing, lol. Unfortunately I have never played as the Japanese, in the last year of the first grand campaign I've played start to finish as the Allies, and as such I cant help much. I am very interested to learn what the results of your plan are, so if you're so inclined throw a post up. The Russians are brute strength by definition, but with proper use of the terrain and local air superiority in vital sectors, I think a strong 1945 Japan can hold the line!
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I don't know the Russian OOB in 1945, but several players who took them on earlier said it was easy because their airforce was weak [poor fighters, so-so training]. They just bombed the heck out of them before attacking. Of course in 1945 they may have better fighters and you may not have many bombers to spare, so it's a different situation.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bobthehatchit

Post by Bobthehatchit »

The Russians OOB for land forces in August 1945 is scarey, I not seem their main force yet, but one of their armour corps half gutted a tank division and two high experience large INJ Divs when it shock attacked accross a river. I have serious doubts about stopping them and may have to abandon Harbin before I get serously out flancked.

As for the russian fighters they are garbage so far my Frank A's are cutting them to shreds, I have Airgoups that went from no kills on the First of August trained to 50-60exp now with 50-100 kills in the space of 6 or 7 turns.

Thinking taking the Russians of the game in 43/44 might be a much better bet, even against the AI i have doubts you can hold back the forces it can amass, against a human payer you are toast.

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

The Russian OOB in 1945 is a beast. They even get a couple Guards Mech Corps: 85 exp, with SU-100s and Stalin Tanks. What can the IJA do with that?

I can't see how the IJA can do much more than delay the Russian push along the roads.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Are you playing the AI or PBM? If the AI, then I am not sure it bothers training pilots the way PBM players do.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I don't know the Russian OOB in 1945, but several players who took them on earlier said it was easy because their airforce was weak [poor fighters, so-so training]. They just bombed the heck out of them before attacking. Of course in 1945 they may have better fighters and you may not have many bombers to spare, so it's a different situation.

Main problem .. I believe there is a problem of no replacements for Russian forces if the IJ decide to attack early .. [8|] I am going to assume that the designers thought "hey why would any IJ player do that?" [8D] (See Raider's Taming the Bear) Thus a situation where as the Bear might be dealt with early ..

I can say that the Russian order of battle in mid-1944 without the replacements and Scenaraio #1 is quite enough to keep the IJ very busy ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Miller

Post by Miller »

The Russian airforce is a joke. I am getting a 10:1 kill ratio against his fighters, which have trained pilots. My opponent commented "The T-34 would do better in the air than the Yaks"[:D]

Return to “The War Room”