Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BOR or AJE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> BOR or AJE? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BOR or AJE? - 2/4/2013 7:04:34 PM   
jnpoint

Now there are two games, and they seem to be very similar, but which to choose?
I think I like both, but I will not buy two similar games. So does anyone have an advice?
I like long games with many turns, but I also like games spanning over vast geographical areas.
Post #: 1
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/4/2013 7:38:53 PM   
jnpoint

and do you know if they only produce DLC for AJE or for BOR as well?

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 2
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/4/2013 9:12:15 PM   
BofH

I have AJE but not BOR yet. After having AJE for only a week (the demo a little longer) I'm very happy with it. They've had more time to iron out some bugs in the AJE scenarios, whereas there has just been a quickfix released for BOR and I'm not sure how many bugs remain in it.
Given that you are interested in wider campaigns perhaps AJE is the better choice because of the Civil War scenario. In one I played I marched Caesar all the way through the east to Antiochia, then right down through Syria and Judea to Alexandria. It felt like he had done a world tour. Meanwhile another army went west through Spain, jumped by ship to Numidia and marched to Utica near Carthage. I did plan on linking them up with Caesar, but - er, Caesar got trapped and nearly annihilated.

BOR has the much longer first Punic War weighing in at 284 turns, but the theatre of operations is nowhere near as large as in the Civil War which is 'only' 121 turns.

I don't know about DLC for BOR but I don't see why not.

I don't think you'll regret AJE, it looks simple but it's deep and the AI is quite competent if tweaked up.

< Message edited by BofH -- 2/5/2013 2:32:02 AM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 3
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/4/2013 11:50:42 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I guess it depends on your own personal taste

To me the really interesting conflicts (and I am talking about history) were the wars of the old Roman Republic, grosso modo until the end of the II Punic War, defeat of Hannibal that is.

BoR covers part of this interesting period. I guess a next expansion will cover the II Punic War, etc.

AJE covers a period in which Rome is already a Mega-Power I prefer the golden age, when Rome was in fact on the brink of defeat.

So it depends.

Just for the record, so far BoR is fabulous! I am really enjoying the game. And oh, the Consuls are changed EACH year, as it should be!!

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to BofH)
Post #: 4
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/5/2013 2:41:44 AM   
rosseau

If your period of historical interest is not an issue, I would go with AJE and the inexpensive Cantabrian Wars add-on first.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 5
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/5/2013 2:19:46 PM   
jnpoint

thanks for the advices. I think I'll try Birth of Rome - first.
What's holding me back right now is that the demo has crashed several times now. Are those games stable?

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 6
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/5/2013 2:22:54 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

If your period of historical interest is not an issue, I would go with AJE and the inexpensive Cantabrian Wars add-on first.

Thanks for your help - but that add-on is 'only online' - so only multiplayer? I prefer to fight the AI.

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 7
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/5/2013 2:37:39 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

What's holding me back right now is that the demo has crashed several times now. Are those games stable?

It must be the demo because the game is very stable.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 8
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/5/2013 2:38:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

So far I haven't had any problem at all with both AJE and BoR. Yes, really stable: I'm using W7 and a standard laptop

Cheers

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 9
RE: BOR or AJE? - 2/5/2013 2:39:11 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Thanks for your help - but that add-on is 'only online' - so only multiplayer? I prefer to fight the AI.

That means online download only. It has an ai for single play.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> BOR or AJE? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI