Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thoughts after 4 games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Thoughts after 4 games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thoughts after 4 games - 2/2/2013 10:56:57 PM   
jcrohio

Just finished my first four games - 3 as CP and 1 as Entente - all at the middle difficulty and all versus the AI - all 4 were complete victories

The games as the CP vs the AI entente were a lot of fun - lasted until turns 90-100 - AI put up a good fight - did a conquer France first - AI very aggressive with Russia and Italy and Romania - thought I might get overwhelmed in the East for a while - really enjoyed the game

The 1 game I had as the Entente versus the AI CP was OK - game was over on turn 75 - AI never made any headway in Serbia (except for a screw up on my part where I wasn't paying attention to Bulgaria) - AI never really made any headway in Russia - AI conquered very little of France - another major flaw was the AI German fleet ws lost very early going after the Royal Navy - the AI never guarded its Scandanavian convoys (I actually quit sinking them early to try to improve the game) - still enjoyed the game but not near as much as playing the CP

Anyone else find their experinces to be similar? Was it a flook and the AI CP is pretty good? And lastly in the beginning of the game I always get a message playing either side about the Christmas Truce. What does that do?

Thanks
Jack
Post #: 1
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/3/2013 2:34:07 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

And lastly in the beginning of the game I always get a message playing either side about the Christmas Truce. What does that do?

Thanks
Jack

My guess is that it doesn't do anything. I thought it might just be an attempt to recognize an actual WWI historical event when some soldiers from both sides stopped fighting and met together to celebrate Christmas. But maybe others know of a different take on the message.

I think many enjoy playing the Central Powers because you have a greater ability to be on the offensive so to speak. Still it can be interesting to try to bring the attack to a standstill when it looks like you are outnumbered and getting clobbered.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 2
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/4/2013 8:55:36 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

Just finished my first four games - 3 as CP and 1 as Entente - all at the middle difficulty and all versus the AI - all 4 were complete victories

The games as the CP vs the AI entente were a lot of fun - lasted until turns 90-100 - AI put up a good fight - did a conquer France first - AI very aggressive with Russia and Italy and Romania - thought I might get overwhelmed in the East for a while - really enjoyed the game

The 1 game I had as the Entente versus the AI CP was OK - game was over on turn 75 - AI never made any headway in Serbia (except for a screw up on my part where I wasn't paying attention to Bulgaria) - AI never really made any headway in Russia - AI conquered very little of France - another major flaw was the AI German fleet ws lost very early going after the Royal Navy - the AI never guarded its Scandanavian convoys (I actually quit sinking them early to try to improve the game) - still enjoyed the game but not near as much as playing the CP

Anyone else find their experinces to be similar? Was it a flook and the AI CP is pretty good? And lastly in the beginning of the game I always get a message playing either side about the Christmas Truce. What does that do?

Thanks
Jack

Yeah, playing 1914 it's a bit easy to win as the Entente - the CP doesn't seem ready for the war in the east, so it's a bit too easy just to ROFLstomp Austria-Hungary and Germany playing as Russia.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 3
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/4/2013 6:34:04 PM   
jcrohio

I am going to try one more game playing the Entente to see if the first was a fluke - really enjoyed playing the CP so the game is still good

Interested in what the new patch will bring also

Jack

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 4
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/22/2013 12:11:47 PM   
shauny1987

I got absolutely creamed as Entente last time I played. But it was my second game ever....

As central powers I played 1914 once and screwed up, so I started again and got a much better headway into Belgium and central france, but as Usual Russia digs in, and I cant make any headway against them, it's one big line of Trenches. I'm gonna wheel some artillery up there see if I can't smoke em out, but I doubt it.

What am I doing wrong vs Russia? kinda feels like I should be doing a 'Russia first' strategy not the historic one.

I've been transfering troops from the west to East, i'm basicly all out with no reserves in the west now, but still cant make headway vs Russia.

< Message edited by shauny1987 -- 2/22/2013 12:12:54 PM >

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 5
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/22/2013 1:24:47 PM   
jcrohio

What I did was play a France/Serbia first strategy - all I did in Russia was try to contain them

You will get no offensive success without artillery/air - I concentrate it in France/Serbia until they fell - then transferred it to Russia until it fell

I have read of gut=ys doing a Russia first strategy but have never tried it

Hope this helps - keep playing it is a great game - I have not enjoyed a game this much in a long time
Jack

(in reply to shauny1987)
Post #: 6
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/28/2013 4:06:14 AM   
prototek

I've only done Russia first in my 3 CP games. Earliest I was able to bring them down was October 1915 (meaning that's how long it took to get them to offer a surrender) That's using the whole German army. Leaving just enough units to guard the line in the west, along with 3 reserves to switch out damaged units.

I've had loads of fun playing as the CP.....I have also played two Entente games and I got the same results you did. Frankly, the game got really boring vs the CP AI.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 7
RE: Thoughts after 4 games - 2/28/2013 2:20:10 PM   
jcrohio

Try playing the Entente with the Priveledged AI - much better game

(in reply to prototek)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Thoughts after 4 games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI