Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guadalcanal Scenerio

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Guadalcanal Scenerio Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/2/2013 5:03:45 PM   
maximus102

Started playing Guadalcanal scenerio, Admirals edition, with the lastest update. Playing the Game with difficulty set at historical. Human, Japanese. US computer. 1 noticed that for some reason, torpedoes are not available to the Japanese player for the Bettys. Played two months worth of turns, they never became available, bombs were green when selected, but torps were always red. Anybody else have this problem? They should be available. See Eric Hammels books, or anybody elses, on Guadalcanal, they had them. 2nd, The AI for this scenerio was almost farcical, i managed to torpedoe, three US carriers and the North Carolina, because the AI would not move the US forces out of the hex they were in, they just stayed there, where of course every I boat on the planet showed up to say Hi. After that disaster the AI continued to run supply missions to Lunga, with out any air cover what so ever, refer back to three US carriers torpedoed, where they were destroyed, by my ships and air power everytime, to the tune of 57 ships lost. Is this just a glitch in the scenerio i was playing? I feel i wasted a lot of time, or is this scenerio better played H-H. I quit playing and came here to see if its me of if there is in fact something wrong.[image][/image]

< Message edited by maximus102 -- 2/2/2013 5:05:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/2/2013 5:13:23 PM   
Quixote

For torpedoes to be available to land-based bombers, you have to have an Air HQ at the base you are flying from (or within command radius of the Air HQ), and you have to "purchase" torpedoes for the HQ. Pages 165 and 166 in the manual will give you some more detail on this. As to the AI, I think it plays some scenarios better than others, but in all of them it will occasionally make mistakes that a human player probably wouldn't.

(in reply to maximus102)
Post #: 2
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/2/2013 5:35:44 PM   
Oberst_Klink

see below... 11th IJAF got the option to 'purchase' torps, Bettys will use them when they're at normal NOT extended range.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 2/2/2013 5:36:00 PM >

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to maximus102)
Post #: 3
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/2/2013 7:41:21 PM   
jmalter

an AirHQ can be set to auto-purchase torps - click on its 'Show unit TOE' button, the 'Torpedo Ordnance' text turns yellow. click on this yellow text to bring up the 'Enter value of torpedo storage auto-limit' dialog. assuming the purchase takes place during the end-of-turn supply phase, an optimum value would be twice the number of torp-capable planes being supplied, since planes set to NavAttack can sortie during both the AM & PM air-phases.

auto-purchase & remote torps depend on adequate supply - iirc remote torps (in the AirHQ's radius) needs 10k supply at the remote base.

wrt your game vs the AI in this scenario, my experience vs IJ AI was similar. KB sailed regularly to the same hex north of the Solomons, & the Tokyo Express threw repeated troop/supply convoys at Tassafaronga.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 2/2/2013 7:49:10 PM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 4
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/2/2013 8:13:09 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: maximus102
Started playing Guadalcanal scenerio, Admirals edition, with the lastest update. Playing the Game with difficulty set at historical. Human, Japanese. US computer. 1 noticed that for some reason, torpedoes are not available to the Japanese player for the Bettys. Played two months worth of turns, they never became available, bombs were green when selected, but torps were always red. Anybody else have this problem? They should be available. See Eric Hammels books, or anybody elses, on Guadalcanal, they had them. 2nd, The AI for this scenerio was almost farcical, i managed to torpedoe, three US carriers and the North Carolina, because the AI would not move the US forces out of the hex they were in, they just stayed there, where of course every I boat on the planet showed up to say Hi. After that disaster the AI continued to run supply missions to Lunga, with out any air cover what so ever, refer back to three US carriers torpedoed, where they were destroyed, by my ships and air power everytime, to the tune of 57 ships lost. Is this just a glitch in the scenerio i was playing? I feel i wasted a lot of time, or is this scenerio better played H-H. I quit playing and came here to see if its me of if there is in fact something wrong.[image][/image]

You obviously don't look at the threads. If you did you would know that the AI is scripted and dumb. The smaller scenarios are learning tools and, yes, might be better played H2H. Given the tone and tenor of your comments, you would be better off playing some other game because WiTPAE is clearly not for you.

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to maximus102)
Post #: 5
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 6:18:54 AM   
jmalter

hi Symon,

i'm dismayed by the tone & tenor of your response to the OP. he bought the game, gave it a spin, then posted his initial take & questions here.

new guy had 11 previous posts, our job is to explain some tech details that he didn't know about & welcome him. our job is NOT to tell him that he should've reviewed eleventy-thousand previous forum-threads before asking a question, or to tell him to get off of our lawn. he's capable of deciding for himself if the game meets his needs, a decision that will be informed by the 'tone & tenor' of the responses he receives here.

courtesy & encouragement might prove better 'ambassadorship' to the game - w/ 130 posts & a join-date of 11/24/2012, you are not in a place where you can tell another newb that "WiTPAE is clearly not for you."

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 6
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 6:51:17 AM   
Sardaukar

Symon is not exactly new here...

Though, I agree that he is not always very courteous.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 7
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 9:09:22 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

an AirHQ can be set to auto-purchase torps - click on its 'Show unit TOE' button, the 'Torpedo Ordnance' text turns yellow. click on this yellow text to bring up the 'Enter value of torpedo storage auto-limit' dialog. assuming the purchase takes place during the end-of-turn supply phase, an optimum value would be twice the number of torp-capable planes being supplied, since planes set to NavAttack can sortie during both the AM & PM air-phases.

You learn something new every day in this game.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 8
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 9:13:46 AM   
jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
Symon is not exactly new here..

i don't buy that, if he was cool w/ the game, he wouldn't be so avid to stomp on a newb's post.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 2/3/2013 9:21:12 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 9:30:37 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: maximus102

This game can be fustrating at times. I'm currently in the early in a Guadalcanal PBEM as the Japanese and you will know then that the Japanese get 2 x CV and 1 x CVL within 10 day while the USN starts with 3 x CV and one CVE. One of my subs stuck a torp into the Enterprise very early in the game and when the KB turned up the very first encounter with the USN sank the other two CVs, the CVE plus a good number of CA/CL/CLAA or at least it looks like that. Now one of the reasons for this success is the quality of the Japanese pilots, they are exceptionally good while the USN are average at best. There have been many treads in this game warning you to stay away from the KB until the end of 1942 and only take them on earlier when you have a numerical superiority late 42 which you probably had with 3 x CV but, you lost one to a sub.

This gave me immediate control of the air, (HB excluded). I stated to run the Tokyo Express not only too Lunga and Tulagi but also against Milne Bay. Unfortunately a lucky sub skipper put two fish into the Shokaku which did not sink but is out of the game.

As you see it isn't just the AI, keep going use it as a training excercise.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 2/3/2013 9:31:08 AM >

(in reply to maximus102)
Post #: 10
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 9:32:12 AM   
jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H
you learn something new every day in this game.

ain't that the truth!

the best teacher in this game is experience, as Allies, 1st you do the Coral Sea scenario to get CV AirOps, then you do the Guadalcanal scenario to learn Amphib Ops.

i've never played as the IJ, but no doubt i'd learn similar important lessons.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 2/3/2013 9:47:24 AM >

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 11
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 10:36:38 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

i don't buy that, if he was cool w/ the game, he wouldn't be so avid to stomp on a newb's post.

Jmalter, he is one of the guys involved on the DaBabes scenarios, just don't look the post numbers
About reply, he will answer for himself but I guess because Maximus's post was a bit polemic.

Advanced Squad Leader; Grand Tactical Series; Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager; War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 12
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 3:28:01 PM   
maximus102

Thank you for all the advice.

(in reply to maximus102)
Post #: 13
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/3/2013 5:35:51 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
Symon is not exactly new here..

Symon = JWE

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 14
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/4/2013 8:25:12 PM   
dr.hal

The number of posts and join date are note the issue nor should they be. It is the content and the tone of a post that can cross the line. Also being judgmental is not the way to go. In a wargamer's world there should be peace on earth in our threads!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 15
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/4/2013 9:47:13 PM   
General Patton

++++++1 General Patton

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 16
RE: Guadalcanal Scenerio - 2/4/2013 9:55:38 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

hi Symon,

i'm dismayed by the tone & tenor of your response to the OP. he bought the game, gave it a spin, then posted his initial take & questions here.

new guy had 11 previous posts, our job is to explain some tech details that he didn't know about & welcome him. our job is NOT to tell him that he should've reviewed eleventy-thousand previous forum-threads before asking a question, or to tell him to get off of our lawn. he's capable of deciding for himself if the game meets his needs, a decision that will be informed by the 'tone & tenor' of the responses he receives here.

courtesy & encouragement might prove better 'ambassadorship' to the game - w/ 130 posts & a join-date of 11/24/2012, you are not in a place where you can tell another newb that "WiTPAE is clearly not for you."

He's not new here.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Guadalcanal Scenerio Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI