Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guide to add new Races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Guide to add new Races Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guide to add new Races - 2/1/2013 4:09:22 PM   
JacksterGamer

Hello, I'm new to modding DW and I love it however the thing is whenever I try to add a new race (Even combine races from other mods such as the Navii from the Extended Races mod) and get this:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.7.0.7
Problem Signature 03: 4ef97109
Problem Signature 04: DistantWorlds.Types
Problem Signature 05: 1.7.0.7
Problem Signature 06: 4ee86b06
Problem Signature 07: f9f
Problem Signature 08: 3ea
Problem Signature 09: System.ApplicationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
So I would appreciate a guide or something.
Post #: 1
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/1/2013 7:38:25 PM   
tjhkkr

Which file?
Check your commas. That is one quick way to make the application ABEND.
Check to make sure your pointers all point to valid items... For example: make sure your ship number points to a valid ship family.

It still would be nice to know which file you have added. If it is ONLY one file, upload it so someone can take a quick look...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to JacksterGamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/2/2013 9:49:27 AM   
JacksterGamer

As a newb I would say, what's the problem with Commas. They all point to valid items I believe and I don't think you can make races with 1 file can you?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 3
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/3/2013 1:32:17 AM   
tjhkkr

By the way: forgive me: welcome to the forums...

In certain files, if you miss one comma, the thing will blow up.

This is what I recommend you do until you find out what the issue is: add one file at a time.
Sometimes when DW blows up, it will tell you what file it does not like...

Are you adding the entire mod at once or one family or what is happening...
You said, you added someone elses mod and it still messes up?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 4
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/3/2013 8:59:18 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: JacksterGamer

Hello, I'm new to modding DW and I love it however the thing is whenever I try to add a new race (Even combine races from other mods such as the Navii from the Extended Races mod) and get this:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.7.0.7
Problem Signature 03: 4ef97109
Problem Signature 04: DistantWorlds.Types
Problem Signature 05: 1.7.0.7
Problem Signature 06: 4ee86b06
Problem Signature 07: f9f
Problem Signature 08: 3ea
Problem Signature 09: System.ApplicationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
So I would appreciate a guide or something.

Two words: Reverse Engineer.

Have no idea of what you have installed so I will presume DW, ROTS and Legends.
(In future try to be a little more forthcoming on what version of the game you have installed and your OS)

First thing backup your broken mod folder, the one your posting about here, and put it somewhere safe. Delete it from the 'Customization' folder, you can restore and fix it when you have a better grasp of how things work.
Have a look in the 'Customization' folder and you will find a folder labeled 'Distant Worlds Original'
That has the absolute bare minimum of what you need to make a working mod. Its a very common mistake to throw everything you want into a folder in 10 minutes and then load DW and find that it doesn't work, copy the 'Distant Worlds Original' folder, rename it to your mod's name and take it from there. Replace one race, learn the structure of that mod folder regarding where race names are used,

biases.txt
Policy/JacksterGamersNewRace.txt
races/JacksterGamersNewRace.txt

I would suggest taking a race you are familiar with, one you have played the game with, and start with copying that races file in the races folder and renaming it to your new races name. Make a backup of that file once you have renamed it and then edit that file to your liking using the 'Distant Worlds Legends - Modding Guide.pdf' as a guide to what all the various sections are, as your just starting to learn the modding process don't over complicate things, leave the original race ship choice and only make small changes to the race file so you can remember what you have altered in case things go wonky. Once that is done do the same for a policy file, choose the same race as you did in the races folder, rename it to your races name, make a backup and edit the new race policy file. Now onto the last one and it is easily the worst of the three, the biases text file, this is what causes most mods to malfunction, only experience and time will help with this one, I suggest make a backup of the file, open it for editing and copy the line that has the race you selected in the race / policy folder and copy that, move to the bottom of the file, one line below Mechanoid (*note that there is a blank line below Mechanoid, make sure you put that blank line back once you have finished) now paste your line and renumber that line to 22 and change the race name to JacksterGamersNewRace, make sure that there is a blank line below it (see previous * comment) and save the file. As tjhkkr pointed out, you have to be very careful when you change any of the text in the previously mentioned files, worst one is the biases.txt. Always ensure to use Notepad or Textpad to make sure that when the file is saved it is compatible with DW. Make a new folder in your mod folder and name it 'raceImages' you will then need to put your race image in that folder, race_22.png and race_22a.png. Now make another new folder in you mod folder and call it 'troopImages' copy one of the DW troop images and paste it in there and rename it Troop_22.png.

Load DW and change the theme to your new mod /theme, it should work unless I've missed something which is nothing unusual as I'm blonde and large, there are much more talented folk on here than me at this sort of thing, but that should be the bare basics to get a mod /theme working. Once you know its working backup the whole mod / theme folder and name it mod_ver_00, that way you have a base to work from, if things go wonky, and they will, you can just delete the broken mod /theme folder and drop the most recent backup into the 'Customization' folder. Just remember to edit, test and if it works backup the folder and increase the revision number, mod_ver_01, mod_ver_02, mod_ver_03 etc.
Make a cup of tea and read the 'Distant Worlds Legends - Modding Guide.pdf', page 5 has the full breakdown of the mod folder structure. With the guide open download Igards Star Trek Mod or Haree78's Distant Worlds Extended mod and have a look at the way they have put things together, reference the modding guide and just get a feel for what does what and what goes where, hence the term Reverse Engineer. Once you can alter the theme with confidence go back to your original Mod that did not work, the one your posting about here, restore it in the 'Customization' folder and you should have a facepalm moment as to why it would not work.

Darkspire

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

Post #: 5
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/3/2013 10:15:13 PM   
ehsumrell1

Excellent tutoring Darkspire!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/3/2013 10:37:31 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Excellent tutoring Darkspire!

Wow, that is high praise indeed. Thanks

Ive written a few mods but never released them as there really similar to Haree78's Extended mod, ive remixed the ship families and have different aliens but I'm working on trying to create a whole new graphics set, different races but each race has graphics with variations for the different character classes, like MOO2. Using Textpad is the one thing that makes it easier as you can edit all of the files at the same time and it also tracks the changes so you can revert to a previous save, that and the fact you can write dictionaries for it, like HTML and scripts, makes it one of the most useful tools I have for modding. I will wait to see what Shadows offers, I'm down for the Beta test so fingers crossed or just wait for the release if I'm unlucky and not chosen.

Thanks again ehsumrell1

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 2/3/2013 10:47:45 PM >

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/4/2013 1:58:01 AM   
ehsumrell1

You're deservedly welcome Darkspire! As one of the beta testers and associate modders of Distant Worlds
since Return of the Shakturi, I appreciate when other forum members like yourself take the time to
provide the information and assistance to new players and forum members to assist them in learning
and enjoying the game. You also help overwhelmingly offset the occasional 'negative' commenters,
trolls and flamers who bring a bad light to this forum. I've been fortunate enough to assist Igard
with his creation of the Star Trek themes and adapting them to the expansions. I look forward to the
mod adaptation to Shadows as well and hope that him, Haree78, Eva Lilith, Woodman, Tjhkkr and ALL the
others, including you, continue to enhance this game. My dedication is to assist Elliot and Erik in
whatever way I can because I love Distant Worlds.

Please continue doing your modding and other support for this game. I'm currently under the NDA for
Shadows, but I assure you, get ready for a BLAST!

Shine your light Darkspire!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 8
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/7/2013 7:55:00 PM   
JacksterGamer

Amazing guide, I found I missed three things in my original mod. I messed up the Biases and forgot the line underneath. And never made a troopimage file, thank you very much.

Sorry about the inactivity, I was trying the many other 4X Games (Aurora, GalCiv2, SEV) in comparison to DW, and alas I am back here, this is simply the best. :D

Edit: Oh and Star Ruler, although I did like the custom amount of Systems in Star Ruler.

< Message edited by JacksterGamer -- 2/7/2013 7:56:46 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/7/2013 8:50:34 PM   
JacksterGamer

I almost have it although whenever I try to switch to my theme I get this

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ApplicationException: Error at line 46 reading file C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\My Custom Mod\biases.txt
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.LoadRaceBiases(String applicationStartupPath, String customizationSetName, RaceList races)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.LoadRaces(String applicationStartupPath, String customizationSetName)
at DistantWorlds.Main.method_40(String string_26, String string_27)
at DistantWorlds.Start.method_1(String string_1, Boolean bool_2, Boolean bool_3)
at DistantWorlds.Start.btnThemeSwitch_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Link 46 is the 34, Shat'iil, 0, 0, 10, 10, 10, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, file.

Post #: 10
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/7/2013 9:26:46 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

I almost have it although whenever I try to switch to my theme I get this

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ApplicationException: Error at line 46 reading file C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\My Custom Mod\biases.txt
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.LoadRaceBiases(String applicationStartupPath, String customizationSetName, RaceList races)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.LoadRaces(String applicationStartupPath, String customizationSetName)
at DistantWorlds.Main.method_40(String string_26, String string_27)
at DistantWorlds.Start.method_1(String string_1, Boolean bool_2, Boolean bool_3)
at DistantWorlds.Start.btnThemeSwitch_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Link 46 is the 34, Shat'iil, 0, 0, 10, 10, 10, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, file.

The Biases.txt file ... Did say that one was the one that causes most problems

If that is the complete line than you have 14 races?? As DW comes with 21 races and your adding a race that should at the very least be 22 entries.
From reading the error report I would also hazard a guess that the race name does not match the race file name in the races folder, the race name in the biases.txt and the file in the race folder have to be exactly the same, e.g

Biases.txt

MyAlienRace 0,0,0,0 etc

Race folder

MyAlienRace.txt

The name of your race seems to be Shat'iil, did you miss an i or the ' out in the name of the race.txt file?

Not sure what Link 46 (line?) is, if its line then ive got that from the error report but you got me on the 34, whats 34?

Let me know how you get on, If your still stuck I will help if I can.

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 2/7/2013 9:30:58 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/9/2013 6:01:11 PM   
JacksterGamer

I did mean line and 34 is the amount of Races, 34 in mods and 37 vanilla (I installed one of the race mods over vanilla and ME3 Mod as a Mod.)

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 12
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/9/2013 7:26:52 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

I did mean line and 34 is the amount of Races, 34 in mods and 37 vanilla (I installed one of the race mods over vanilla and ME3 Mod as a Mod.)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Its a very common mistake to throw everything you want into a folder in 10 minutes and then load DW and find that it doesn't work

You have totally lost me, installing over the vanilla races? the ones in the DW root folder? If you want to do a merging of such extensive mods than they would be better re written to a custom theme from the bottom up. If you follow what I wrote in the guide and learn more of the DW mod structure than the project you are attempting would be a time consuming task not a complex and unwieldy one.

Darkspire

Post #: 13
RE: Guide to add new Races - 2/10/2013 11:15:03 AM   
JacksterGamer

No. I'm just trying to add 1 Race. That was not the whole line, but that was line 46 so.. :3

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Guide to add new Races Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI