Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1st Independent Company in Malaya

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 1st Independent Company in Malaya Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1st Independent Company in Malaya - 2/1/2013 1:06:22 AM   
Don Bowen

Here's something I had never seen before...

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: 1st Independent Company in Malaya - 2/1/2013 1:18:26 AM   
JeffK

The Brits who helped start up the Australian Independent Companies went back to Malaya & Burma.
Mike Calvert started blowing up things in Burma so Spencer Chapman (The Jungle is neutral) went to Malaya.
Maybe he was part of this set up, I know he played a bit of a "stay beyond" role after the fall of Malaya.

Listed here as 11 Division Command troops
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaya_Command

http://www.fepow-community.org.uk/arthur_lane/Percivals_Report/html/withdrawal_from_nth___malaya.htm
It was in this very critical situation that the policy as regards Penang had to be considered. As previously stated, the island of Penang had, since 1936, officially been a fortress. In fact, in December 1941, it was very far from being one. Of the fixed defences which had been approved for it only the two 6-inch batteries with their attendant searchlights had been installed. They were sited to cover the approaches to the anchorage, which lies between Penang and the mainland, from the north and from the south. None of the anti-aircraft defences had arrived. For the beach defence of this island, which is fifteen miles long by ten miles wide, there was only the partially trained Penang and Province Wellesley battalion (less one company) of the Straits Settlements Volunteer Force, although two regular battalions had been asked for. Other troops on the island included the ist Independent Company, a company of the 5/14 Punjab Regiment, a mixed reinforcement camp and some administrative detachments. The civil airport was too small for normal R.A.F. requirements.

< Message edited by JeffK -- 2/1/2013 1:25:44 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 2
RE: 1st Independent Company in Malaya - 2/1/2013 1:31:06 AM   
JeffK

And while I was looking

http://www.malayanvolunteersgroup.org.uk/node/58

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 3
RE: 1st Independent Company in Malaya - 2/1/2013 1:39:38 AM   
Arnhem

It looks like the CO was a major seconded from 5/14 Punjab which was itself part of Krohcol, I reckon the company was akin to the Chindits in the sense they were regular army with some extra training than a trained from the ground up commando type formation like say Force 136? Whatever the case, the fact that the exploits of the Argylls have more "airtime" than them either points to a lack of documentation of their actions or their relative lack of impact

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lhcma/summary/fe20-001.shtml

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 4
RE: 1st Independent Company in Malaya - 2/1/2013 6:57:09 AM   
JeffK

I'd still be a bit wary about there being a 1st Independent Company (early commando types) and a 1st Independent Infantry Company. Its hard to pick out seperate units in the midst of a poor standard of reporting names.

< Message edited by JeffK -- 2/1/2013 7:00:09 AM >

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 1st Independent Company in Malaya Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI