1.18 False Dawn

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

fentum

1.18 False Dawn

Post by fentum »

I am persevering with trying to get 1.18 to work.

I was overjoyed to see that it had downloaded last night, overnight. HURRAH!

Gleefully, I opened up the game, just to make sure that it was all working.

Single player all good. HURRAH!

Tried to look at the multiplayer lobby as I am arranging a game with a German gentleman.

'Login syntax error.'

Tried several times with same outcome.

BOOOOO!

Any suggestions?

PS I just bought 2nd Ed AtB for real today, so I am still pumping cash into the system!

ericbabe

RE: 1.18 False Dawn

Post by ericbabe »

Would you mind sending all your login information and serial number to me at ericbabe@west-civ.com and I'll see whether I can duplicate this error?
fentum

Post by fentum »

Thanks Eric, I PM'd you
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Thanks. However I'm also going to need your Slitherine log-in and password in addition to your serial number.
fentum

Post by fentum »

Thanks Eric.

I'll attempt that.

I am such a technical muppet that I really struggle to log into Slitherine. What with Academy Games, Matrix Games, Slitherine, and WCS, I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

I DID introduce two completely new players to tabletop CoH last night with second ed AtB. Never played a wargame before. They both loved it and want the PC game now. Which is nice!
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

I've been finding similar situations fentum. Since mid-December when I got the second edition of Awakening the Bear in the mail, I've introduced 5 people to the board game. Out of those 5, three bought the PC game so we could play when not able to get together. That's why it's great Eric/WCS took the time and expense to put Classic APs back in; all of these players want to play in that mode for obvious reasons. I'm not sure WCS would have gotten the sales if they only had Persistent APs as an option.
tsnouffer

Post by tsnouffer »

Was there a time that Classic APs weren't in the game?

Games from the Front
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

At release and for awhile afterward. According to Eric, during the initial development of the game, it was Classic APs. Then through conversations with Uwe and with his blessing, it was removed and Persistent APs was created to give a different style of play than the board game.

As a lifelong comic book fan, I can tell you from personal experience that anything that fractures a fan-base can cause more harm than good, depending on how it's handled.

With the release of the PC game, a lot of fans who found it by way of the board game were upset and complained (I know, shocking on the internet [8D]). This led to arguments of Classic AP versus Persistent APs (all over board game geek iirc and some here) and imo lower initial sales than the game should have garnered.

Personally I came to the PC game from the board game but I didn't mind Persistent APs; it had its merits. If I had been asked, and there could have only been one mode, I would have preferred and recommended Classic AP, not splitting the community alone would have be reason enough in my opinion. However I like have both options available so in the long run, I think it's going to work out.

To finish the story, on their own dime and time, WCS (mainly Eric) put Classic APs back into the game but since there had been over a year of further development, it had to be reintegrated and tested. That's the last few months and all the patches, especially the betas. It also explains why the FFs are different from the Second Edition AtB and why there are some rule inconsistencies.

Regardless, WCS has done a bang-up job giving us Classic APs back and are close to stamping any remaining inconsistencies out.
tsnouffer

Post by tsnouffer »

Interesting backstory. I figured the reverse would have been true . . . released with Classic APs then Persistent APs added later. I wouldn't have bought it without Classic APs. I'm very glad they are in there. They've done a great job with it. Although I would still like to see it closer to the boardgame rules. And I don't even mean 2nd ed AtB. It is hard to know what the differences are in the PC version until you experience them.

Games from the Front
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

I agree with everything you said although I purchased the PC game initially not knowing they had changed the AP system. There was no demo and nowhere did it state (that I read) they used a different AP mechanism.

Your feeling is pretty much what got the CoH board game community in an uproar, "why make a board game conversion and not be faithful?" But this was done with not only Uwe's blessing but his prompting (Eric could tell you more detail). Uwe wanted to take advantage of what the PC did well and what it could do that wasn't easily done in a board game setting.

Still, anyone who has ever seen some complain about a book/play/comic that they loved and wasn't adapted faithfully into a movie could see this would be the response from the board game folks.

I just hope we are passed it and the game is doing well enough for there to continue to be new material (expansions, sequels, and DLCs). It's to great a game not to do well as a PC game too.
fentum

Post by fentum »

I agree wholeheartedly with VR_ironfist.

It also didn't help that the boardgames rules had a significant change in the second game, Storms of Steel. To a much better system, mind you, but just too many slightly different rules sets were around.

I hope that the release of second edition AtB and the more closely matching PC rules see a resurgence of interest.

There's always Zun Tsu too!

Return to “Tech Support”