Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat delay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Combat delay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat delay - 1/31/2013 9:20:50 AM   
JeremyB

There is a little thing that bothers me in the simulation model; it's another unrealistic consequence of the sequentiality of movement (which is already very artificial):
If you want to get somewhere with a specific unit (generally a mechanized unit to grab an important hex) the best way is sometimes the shortest way, in terms of MP's, regardless of opposition.
If the direct route from A to B costs, say, 30 mp's, and is packed with strongly entrenched enemy units, and if bypassing them with a short hook, out of enemy ZOC's completely, costs 35mp's, due to the abitily to have other units clear the path completely before spending the first mov point, a unit would go faster through the path of strongest resistance than by bypassing resistance (which was the essence of panzer blitzkrieg). That is true even if the defenders "held" for 30 consecutive combats, while only giving way at the 31st.

I was wondering if giving (previous) combat locations a mov cost, or maybe even kind of a ZOC, with highter costs if there were "HELD" results, wouldn't be appropriate...

BTW, doesn't anyone miss the old War in Russia suspense of watching the enemy moves unfold during the resolution phase, the breathtaking anguish while uncertain combats were unraveling?

Wouldn't it be nice, for human vs human at least, to have a sort of a mini animation of the enemy's progression and sequence of combats, rather than just starting the turn and seeing, oh, damn, he took Leningrad, having missed all the drama, and having only the slighly arid and unemotional comabt reports to rely on to get an idea of what happened?
Post #: 1
RE: Combat delay - 1/31/2013 10:49:14 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeremyB

There is a little thing that bothers me in the simulation model; it's another unrealistic consequence of the sequentiality of movement (which is already very artificial):
If you want to get somewhere with a specific unit (generally a mechanized unit to grab an important hex) the best way is sometimes the shortest way, in terms of MP's, regardless of opposition.
If the direct route from A to B costs, say, 30 mp's, and is packed with strongly entrenched enemy units, and if bypassing them with a short hook, out of enemy ZOC's completely, costs 35mp's, due to the abitily to have other units clear the path completely before spending the first mov point, a unit would go faster through the path of strongest resistance than by bypassing resistance (which was the essence of panzer blitzkrieg). That is true even if the defenders "held" for 30 consecutive combats, while only giving way at the 31st.

I was wondering if giving (previous) combat locations a mov cost, or maybe even kind of a ZOC, with highter costs if there were "HELD" results, wouldn't be appropriate...

BTW, doesn't anyone miss the old War in Russia suspense of watching the enemy moves unfold during the resolution phase, the breathtaking anguish while uncertain combats were unraveling?

Wouldn't it be nice, for human vs human at least, to have a sort of a mini animation of the enemy's progression and sequence of combats, rather than just starting the turn and seeing, oh, damn, he took Leningrad, having missed all the drama, and having only the slighly arid and unemotional comabt reports to rely on to get an idea of what happened?

I think witp has something like that, be fun to watch thats for sure.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to JeremyB)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat delay - 2/1/2013 6:21:28 PM   
Numdydar

WitP AE does have a combat replay that shows all activity that occured. As a long time WitP player, I can attest that 99% of the combat replay is worthless and takes time (even though parts of the replay can be sped up). "oh look another allied sweep where nothing happened". To get this for WitE, everything (and I mean everythng) would need to be run through. Considering the massive amount of attacks that occurs in a single turn, do you really want to have to watch every single one of them just for the few that mean something?

While watching CV versus CV battles and surface combats are fun in WitP, there have been less than 10 of these that occured in my PBEM game that were worth watching. Watching AFs getting bombed over and over again is not something I want to watch turn after turn .

Now if the game could create a reply file that I could open up when I wanted to, i.e a CV CV battle for example, then I would be all for that . But something like WitP when I have to watch it every turn just to see what happens the few times I care, not so much.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Combat delay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI