Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 1/31/2013 4:27:17 AM   
nashvillen

In the last five hours there have been two large earthquakes in the Santa Cruz Island area. Both were just ENE of what we know as Ndeni. The first was pretty shallow at 10 km below the ocean along a known divergent fault (NW Fiji Basin) forming a under sea ridge. The other was much deeper at 55.4 km below the ocean. There have been two other smaller earthquakes in the same area relative to the earthquakes and less than an hour after the first of the pair. they qualify as aftershocks. Minimal impact is expected to the region.

I have to admit, this is not really anything spectacular, but I have a new app for my iphone that uses GIS technology to map and report these. That is the cool part. Also, it made me look at the Santa Cruz chain of islands closer with Google Earth and know more about it.

< Message edited by nashvillen -- 1/31/2013 4:29:51 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 1/31/2013 11:01:09 PM   
netjam99

Technology is amazing these days. Just looked at news reports. 4 earthquakes around the ring of fire! By the way I have found myself looking at Google Earth out there in the Pacific also. Could not believe the amount of shipping in the harbor and approaches to Singapore for one thing.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 2/1/2013 2:43:30 AM   
guytipton41

The earthquake app is cool... but have you ever used Google Earth to look at some of those atolls with a 6000 stacking limit? They are barren flat patches of earth that might provide space for 600 men. If you fully stacked them every bombarding shell would land in a foxhole.

Cheers,
Guy

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 2/6/2013 1:32:41 AM   
nashvillen

JUST IN: 8.0 magnitude very shallow (5.8 km) in this region. Tsunami warnings out.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000f1s0#summary

http://ptwc.weather.gov/

(in reply to guytipton41)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 2/6/2013 3:31:52 AM   
nashvillen

They changed the depth to much deeper, helpful for negative tsunami creation.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 2/6/2013 4:28:07 AM   
wdolson

There have been an unusually large number of aftershocks. This is an unusual earthquake swarm.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands - 2/6/2013 7:07:16 AM   
sanch

In my PBEM game, I just invaded Milne Bay. And then I got curious about what Milne Bay is and was. So I fired up google-earth to take a peek. An lo and behold, just NE of Ndeni (which I took last month) was a big red marker (had never seen one of these before).

Turns out it was the quake at 10 km down mentioned by the OP.

Side note - Milne Bay in RL appears to have been a really pestilential mud-hole. From wikepedia, I linked to an Australian photo archive with easily several hundred photos. Mud and malaria seems to have been the primary features of life in Milne Bay.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Multiple Earthquakes in Santa Cruz Islands Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI