Dave about routing..again

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

wodin

Dave about routing..again

Post by wodin »

I think it's much improved since BFTB was released.

I just wondered did you lower the threshold with regards to routing? So they would retreat instead of rout as you mentioned in a reply (post No 9)
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3244789&mpage=1&key=

If you did I think it can be tweaked some more, I'm still getting Tank platoons that start with 11 tanks routing after losing 1 tank. I can understand a retreat if alot of firepower was coming their way but not a rout. If you didn't thats why I'm not seeing much different. I do feel it would make a huge difference and lessen the players concerns about routing units if it happened less and the units retreated instead.

Also as mentioned by RH units at times don't seem to know where their friendly lines are (I can imagine this being a real pain in this game as there aren't any front lines as such in game with it being a very fluid game with no real continuous front line in most scenarios).

Thanks..apart from that a good patch. Just played Pattons Finest..and played awful..with a minor defeat (I was to slow off the blocks..then rushed it towards the end, though something that can be confusing is why units don't exit off the map even when close but enemy units are nearby..it seems they always come to standstill and wont push on that extra bit to exit I had alot of units with 500m or so off the exit for a fair few hours but the just seemed to stay put and wanted to fight rather than push on and out)
navwarcol

RE: Dave about routing..again

Post by navwarcol »

Hey Jason!
And yes, I notice a lot of easily routing units as well...but in the editor if I crank up their stats, they are much, MUCH better...does this imply that routing is mostly an issue of the morale/leadership/determination 'stats'? From what I am seeing, tweaking these is making a huge difference, with some units down to around 15% original, and still not routing. If this is the case Dave, is there any guideline for what would be normal in these? For the most part I would think routing should be very rare unless the unit is just being hammered non stop.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Units only rout if they fail a morale check. Raising their stats is one option but I don't think that's the right approach. Better IMO to try an tweak the algorythm that determines current morale. Once I'm finished with the formations and a few other issues I will review this again.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

Dave..OK great. Yeah I think abit of tweaking will get the desired result. As I said I'm sure we'd all be happy if a unit retreats more and routs less.

Thanks mate. Looking forward to seeing the new formation code finished and how the tweaking works out.

Return to “Command Ops Series”