What could convince a WW2 gamer to get this one?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

towerbooks3192

What could convince a WW2 gamer to get this one?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I mainly play WW2 games and never found a decent WW1 game yet and I don't have a clue about WW1 other than it started when the archduke something something got assassinated or whatever. My old country was only involved(invaded actually) in WW2 so I know more and prefer WW2.

On to my question, What would convince me to get this over something like Commander: Europe at War or the other WW1 game I know, Strategic Command WW1+ Breakthrough?
et ignobiles oblivio
JJKettunen

RE: What could convince a WW2 gamer to get this one?

Post by JJKettunen »

To put it short: WW2 happened because of WW1.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Keke

To put it short: WW2 happened because of WW1.

I think its something like the treaty of versailles or something then one thing led to another and all that. But seriously though, to someone who choose WW2, what is the main selling point of this game that would really interest me?
et ignobiles oblivio
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

It has a lot of naked girls.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Its a whole lot of fun. Its my first venture into a WWI game since a Strategy and tactics magazine board game 20+ years ago.

I would mention, I have yet to see the Archie Duke counter, or an ostrich for him to shoot.

General Melchett is apparently missing from the British leaders, a terrible oversight.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

Its a whole lot of fun. Its my first venture into a WWI game since a Strategy and tactics magazine board game 20+ years ago.

I would mention, I have yet to see the Archie Duke counter, or an ostrich for him to shoot.

General Melchett is apparently missing from the British leaders, a terrible oversight.
warspite1

...yes and the leader of Russia is called Nicholas - who used to be bizarre [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

I mainly play WW2 games and never found a decent WW1 game yet and I don't have a clue about WW1 other than it started when the archduke something something got assassinated or whatever. My old country was only involved(invaded actually) in WW2 so I know more and prefer WW2.

On to my question, What would convince me to get this over something like Commander: Europe at War or the other WW1 game I know, Strategic Command WW1+ Breakthrough?
warspite1

towerbooks3192 I was, until last November, a WWII freak (with some Napoleonic action thrown in) but WWI just didn't float my boat..wasn't interested.

Whilst waiting for MWIF I have been on the look out for something to fill the time and saw this. I liked the look of the game from the screenshots - aethestics are always important imo - and so I bought it on the off chance, more in hope than expectation.

Haven't played anything since, absolutely love the game. It has some things that need sorting but I understand that that is happening (and with some house rules the game is perfectly playable) its great fun too. I now have a stack of WWI books that I am getting through so that i understand what went on, when etc etc. Maybe its because I am reading this stuff for the first time I don't know, but I am finding WWI just as interesting as WWII. So the history is feeding the desire to play is feeding the need to read more etc etc. Its a great vicious circle.

BTW I think Keke may have been pulling your leg. I have played dozens of games and have yet to find a naked girl anywhere [&:]

parusski

Post by parusski »

That is the main reason I play the game.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: parusski

That is the main reason I play the game.
warspite1

I just wanted to say, Good Luck, we're all counting on you.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

I think my favorite thing about this game is the 'tension' I feel on the fronts. In my last 3 games' all against the AI, (2 Entente victories and I was anihilated once as CP), yet even during the victories I never felt comfortable. I felt as if my lines could collapse at any moment. When the enemy final broke I was shocked. yes it was lots of fun mopping up the rest so to speak. LoL

As for your question... SC WW1 is supposed to be excellent but I find I like this map better, just my opinion though.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Jonathan Pollard

Post by Jonathan Pollard »

The air aspect of the game is very similar to WW2, bombers and zeppelins are so overrated that during the 2nd half of the game, a strategic bombing campaign for both sides is the way to go, and air units can also provide effective ground support. Even the Russians start the game with the capability to produce bombers (but not the Brits for some reason).

Armored units however are generally viewed as underrated, so you won't have much in the way of tank warfare. Although there's a good chance of the Western Front bogging down into trench warfare, the Eastern front is usually fluid for much of the game.

A certain amount of submarine warfare somewhat comparable to WW2 also usually takes place.
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Basically:
  • Tough battles all over the map.
  • The fun of blasting your enemies with heavy bombardments.
  • Alternate-history stuff like invading Spain or Scandinavia. After overwhelming France whilst playing as the Central Powers, I decided I wanted Gibraltar and Spain had better GTFO of the way. I ended up driving right up to the gates of Madrid before the Spanish and Portuguese, with help from the Americans and the Brits, stopped my advance cold in its tracks. I then settled down to a year of attacks and counter-attacks, only finally capturing Madrid after very heavy losses.
  • Surviving the game, at least for your first dozen tries or so, is tough as hell - you'll find your enemies crashing in from all direction especially when playing as the CP.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

There is actualy a special reference to Black Adder in the game. I'm surprised no one has discovered or brought it forward yet (unless I missed the post) [:)]
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Oh I'm going to have to go looking now.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Lukas

There is actualy a special reference to Black Adder in the game. I'm surprised no one has discovered or brought it forward yet (unless I missed the post) [:)]
warspite1

Can we have a clue please?

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Tip: Blackadder Goes Forth.

Air

Happy Easter Egg hunting!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

Tip: Blackadder Goes Forth.

Air

Happy Easter Egg hunting!
warspite1

Twentyminuters?
Lord Flashheart?

Intriguing..... I will keep a look out! [:)]

Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Another clue is that it is less likely to get discovered after next patch, since it nerfs a certain strategy that is currently very/too effective.
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

So the new patch eliminates a strategy so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel? You mean I can't put my undies on my head and stick two pencils up my nose and be invalided back to old Blighty? Bummer.

BTW - Warspite have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom

Return to “Commander - The Great War”