Problem resizing some Carrier groups

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

seille

Problem resizing some Carrier groups

Post by seille »

Hi,

I´m playing PBEM scenario 2 as the japs and the game is in july 1942.
Beta 1.119F.

My carriers Shokaku and Zuikaku just got their 06/42 radar upgrade as well as their standard resize for the air groups.

So far so good. After the resizing you´re free to adjust the size of the air units for these carriers. Sadly not for all CVs.
I can resize ALL air goups at my current fleet CVs (Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, Hiryu and Junyo). These ships did not get their first update yet.
For my now radar equipped Shokaku and Zuikaku i can resize only the Vals, but not the Fighter unit or the torpedo bombers. And i can´t see any reason.
For these groups i have not even the "resize option button". Picture is attached.

For me there is no obvious reason for not beeing able to resize. The only difference to my other CVs where all groups can resize is the first update.
It might be a bug, but not sure about this.

Already asked a more experienced player before posting here and he had no solution. Maybe one of you guy´s know whats wrong.
Or did i really run into a bug ? Will i maybe loose the resize opportunity for ALL my CVs after i upgraded them ?
Some tips would be great.

@MichaelM if you want the save pls tell me.

Attachments
Shokaku_fighter.jpg
Shokaku_fighter.jpg (402.92 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Alfred

RE: Problem resizing some Carrier groups

Post by Alfred »

These are the rules for resizing carrier air groups posted by michaelm back in November 2010.

When the 'resize to fit' option is enabled, the groups try to resize to fit the space on the CVx as per the old rules of version 1806 of stock.
These rules are based on Allied/Japanese, type of CVx, number of groups onboard, etc.

Only carrier capable F. FB, NF, DB and TB groups can resize according to the first applicable condition below.

a) if only one group on the CVx, then new size is 9/10 of CV capacity.
b) if Japanese and ship type is CV or CVB and date is less than 7 months since Dec 1941, new size is 1/3 of CV capacity.
c) if Japanese and ship type is CV or CVB, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is 0.375 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is DB, new size is 0.375 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is TB, new size is 0.25 times CV capacity.
(iv) any other type, new size is 0.13 times CV capacity.
d) if Japanese and ship type is CVL, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is 0.6 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
e) if British, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is (0.6 times CV capacity) divided by number of fighter groups on board.
(ii) if more than one fighter group present and any other type, new size is (0.4 times CV capacity) divided by number of non-fighter groups on board.
f) if Allied and ship type is CV or CVB and capacity >99, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is TB, new size is 0.132 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.28 times CV capacity.
g) if Allied and ship type is CV or CVB and year<44, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F and date is less than 7 months since Dec 1941, new size is 0.3 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is F, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is DB and year<43, new size is 0.2 times CV capacity.
(iv) type is DB and year=43 and one DB group present, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
(v) type is TB and year=42, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(vi) any other type, new size is 0.2 times CV capacity.
h) if Allied and ship type is CV or CVB and year>43, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F and date is less than 31 months since Dec 1941, new size is 0.45 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is F and date is less than 37 months since Dec 1941, new size is 0.47 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is F, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
(iv) type is DB and date is more than 36 months since Dec 1941 and more than 3 groups present, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(v) type is DB and date is more than 36 months since Dec 1941 and more than 3 groups present, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(vi) type is DB and date is more than 30 months since Dec 1941 and less than 4 groups present and one DB group present, new size is 0.36 times CV capacity.
(vii) type is DB and date is less than 31 months since Dec 1941 and less than 4 groups present and one DB group present, new size is 0.38 times CV capacity.
(viii) type is TB and year=45 and more than 3 groups present, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(ix) any other type, new size is 0.2 times CV capacity.
i) if Allied and ship type is CVE and date is greater than 28 months since Dec 1941, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F , new size is 0.71 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.3 times CV capacity.
j) if Allied and ship type is CVE or CVL , new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F , new size is 0.7 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.3 times CV capacity.
k) anything else, new size is CV capacity / number of groups

Note that if too many groups are assigned to CVx or some groups are not set to resize, there can be some strange group sizes that could disable Air Ops.

Alfred
seille

Post by seille »

Thanks Alfred, but these rules do not help if i can do my resizing at the Akagi and Kaga, but not at the Shokaku and Zuikaku.
Even for these ships i can upgrade, but ONLY the Divebombers.

If there would be a rule, i could either resize ALL groups this way or none.
Beside this i have some doubts that there were no changes to resizing in the last two years. The ratios in the rules you posted can´t
be true yet, since i usually set the size of airgroups myself since one of the last updates.

During my resize i had not too many groups aboard the "problem-CVs". The circumstances were the same as for the CVs the resize worked.
It is frustrating. Hopefully MichaelM has an idea.

edit: resize to fit ship is not my standard setting. I set it always to "resize to xx"(put in the number i want) at the turn i want the groups to change size.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: seille

Thanks Alfred, but these rules do not help if i can do my resizing at the Akagi and Kaga, but not at the Shokaku and Zuikaku.
Even for these ships i can upgrade, but ONLY the Divebombers.

If there would be a rule, i could either resize ALL groups this way or none.
Beside this i have some doubts that there were no changes to resizing in the last two years. The ratios in the rules you posted can´t
be true yet, since i usually set the size of airgroups myself since one of the last updates.

During my resize i had not too many groups aboard the "problem-CVs". The circumstances were the same as for the CVs the resize worked.
It is frustrating. Hopefully MichaelM has an idea.

edit: resize to fit ship is not my standard setting. I set it always to "resize to xx"(put in the number i want) at the turn i want the groups to change size.

I think you find that some groups are not set to resize. I've noticed that this seems to happen often when the scenario has a planned resize set.
seille

Post by seille »

Chris,

All the fleet CVs had a planned resize set (and done). Only the fighters and torpedo bombers of Shokaku and Zuikaku are making problems now.
I doubt this is wad. Hopefully MichaelM will look at it soon and tell me whats going on there.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Ability to manually pick the size of the unit is not available on those carrier groups either (or should not be).
As carrier air group size upgrades are code driven (and not DB driven) you are currently in B) option of the upgrade with Shokaku/Zuikaku:
b) if Japanese and ship type is CV or CVB and date is less than 7 months since Dec 1941, new size is 1/3 of CV capacity.
- that is 27/27/27 for 81 total planes.

Your next automatic group re-size will continue with the following option (past 7 months since Dec 1941):
c) if Japanese and ship type is CV or CVB, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is 0.375 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is DB, new size is 0.375 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is TB, new size is 0.25 times CV capacity.
(iv) any other type, new size is 0.13 times CV capacity.
- that is for 30/30/21 (or 3/3/2 ratio) for 81 total planes.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Chris,

All the fleet CVs had a planned resize set (and done). Only the fighters and torpedo bombers of Shokaku and Zuikaku are making problems now.
I doubt this is wad. Hopefully MichaelM will look at it soon and tell me whats going on there.
Were the group split and rebuilt?
Add a save. It probably wont tell me why it lost its ability if it had it, but it might tell me something.
Michael
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

I've seen this too. In my case I bought back air units from sunken carriers, and after 1st resize some of the units lost the ability to resize again. I couldn't figure out what caused it, but it doesn't seem to affect all unit I bought.
seille

Post by seille »

Diving into Tracker i found a probable reason for my problem.

In June 42 i did the upgrade for Shokaku and Zuikaku. When it was finished i used the opportunity to have two fleet CVs in Japan to expand some training groups.
For doing this i transferred ALL their flight groups to Yokosuka for some turns with their resize option turned ON. During their time on land they did their standard resize at
early july. As you can see on the picture.
This must be the problem ! They did not resize aboard the CV.
The Val-Groups did not change their size, so thats probably the reason their resizing-option is still there.

Looking at this now i think it is a bug especially with the resize option completey gone.

Last turn i tried to resize these groups aboard of a other CV. Did not work.

@Michael
If you still want the turns please tell me which exactly. I saved most of them.
Keep usually one save from turn start and another from end.

Attachments
shokaku1_hist.jpg
shokaku1_hist.jpg (452.3 KiB) Viewed 405 times
seille

Post by seille »

Link with turn package sent to MichaelM. I´m curious if he can confirm my finding.
seille

Post by seille »

Any news Michael ? Did you get the turns ?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Land-based groups lose their ability to resize after the last one is completed. It is suppose to stay at that size rather than allow players to continually re-tune them.
Only ship-based groups are allowed the flexible resize after the normal ones complete as players tend to move groups around between ships and a way to resize in that case was needed in order to NOT overload the ship.
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Any news Michael ? Did you get the turns ?
Just got them downloaded.
Michael
seille

Post by seille »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Land-based groups lose their ability to resize after the last one is completed. It is suppose to stay at that size rather than allow players to continually re-tune them.
Only ship-based groups are allowed the flexible resize after the normal ones complete as players tend to move groups around between ships and a way to resize in that case was needed in order to NOT overload the ship.

Uhhh, so i really got this "penalty" cause i accidently allowed to resize (standard setting) while the carrier groups were stationed temporary at Yokohama ?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I'll see if there is any way for groups finishing resizing to realize that they started based on ships and keep the resize option so that they can be put back there.
Michael
seille

Post by seille »

Thank you Michael. Playing without new beta yet, could i do the following to avoid this happening again ?

If i have a CV based air groups close to resize and i have to move it to a air base, can i simply set the switch to "do not resize" to keep the ability for resizing ?
Later, when back on CV i would put the switch back to standard setting. Can this work ?

Second question: Can you restore the resize ability of my 4 air groups when i send you the actual turn over ?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

If the air group is set to 'No resize' while there is still one, will keep the resizing option. I tried it with one of the groups in the save for 30 June that you sent me.
Michael
seille

Post by seille »

Thanks Michael. Already expected this. But can you restore the resize option for my 4 "screwed" air units ?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

New code (1123d) will fix any ship-based group that is cv-trained or cv-training that can't resize.

In addition, moving a "never resize" cv-trained or cv-training group to a ship will reset the resize flag.

Michael
Michael
seille

Post by seille »

Thank you Michael. Sent you a mail with a unwanted side effect.
Please look at.

Return to “Tech Support”