Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing the game question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Playing the game question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing the game question - 1/29/2013 3:33:37 AM   
Numdydar

I have played several Road to scenerios and really like the system. I used the AI for most of my plane actions (execpt air transport). I also did not fool with support brigades assigning and unassigning and let the AI handle that too. I was thinking of starting a GC as Germany (since I played them in the Road to's).

My question if I play the GC lettting the AI run most of the AF and suport stuff, will this cause me problems later in the war? Or as I am playing against the AI, it will not matter either way ? I would rather not spend a lot of time with a GC just to find out by not doing something, it messed the whole game up.

I can always go bact to the Road to's and get more involved in the details if that is needed for a good GC. Any suggestions on what areas I should be more involved in would be welcome too. I have read the entire up to date manual too. Not that I grasp everything in it lol, but understand most of the basics.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your input

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 1/29/2013 3:34:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Playing the game question - 1/29/2013 11:33:14 AM   
Paul McNeely

The reality is you are playing against a script and you are a human being. You win...you can think, learn and adapt the script can not. The game doesn't cheat to the degree most AIs in RTS will do.

As far as letting the computer run the support units. I assume in this case you are playing the germans. I can't really recommend this. I tried it with a friend of mine, I manually adjusted things for AG Nord and AG Sud (as I was running those) and he left AG Mittel in the hands of the AI. I went in and looked and it had really messed up allocation so I had to go in and manually untangle and re-assign support units. He is also not using fixed support unit assignments to specific divsions while I have my spearhead units with extra support assigned to the division. Both ways seem to work well. But I think you have to go in and do the manual sorting out of the support units else you may find your security troops with a lot of units, or one korps in an army with lots of support units and another korps in the army with none.

If you set up your AF priorities to support your playing style you can let the computer handle everything but air transport. I prefer to use the ability to manually pick units involved in an air strike but I don't launch many manual air strikes except when I see some air bases with a "bomb me" sticker on them.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing the game question - 1/29/2013 5:40:07 PM   
turtlefang

My experience with the AI running the support units is that it is bad. In the campaign games I always end up locking my HQs after getting my SU set the way I like them. How I do this varies greatly between the German and Soviet side. With the Germans, I decided where my primary thrust will be and assign support units that I think will help the HQs. I usually try to "balance" my SU support among the different corps as I never know where I will really need them and want something available to everyone. (This is also me being lazy). Usually, but not always, I put my support units with my Inf Corps except maybe in the first 8 to 12 turns when my PZ Corp may need artillery support.

I try not to assign any support units to my Pzs that are fuel hogs - I want them to maximize their mvt pts and assigning them more mech units will usually make this harder. And I never assign Flam Pz to mech or mot units.

And you need to learn how to use air transport. It might not matter with the AI but against a human, you need to use that air supply to transport supplies to your PZ spearheads to keep things moving.

(in reply to Paul McNeely)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing the game question - 1/29/2013 9:19:46 PM   
demjansk

i read this post and man this game is confusing at times, I guess I need to read that manual, I wish they had a video on this stuff, I guess I don't want to work my brain much these days.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing the game question - 1/29/2013 10:39:16 PM   
Numdydar

I know Right lol. This is why I wanted to ask this question to see how deep I really need to go.

I actually play Japan as WitP AE and that seems simpler than thi . Of course, I automate thing there a lot too, like convoys, pilots. The friend I am playing with is constantly min maxing his pilots, SF commanders, etc. while I just the AI pick whoever they want lol.

Thanks for the suggestions on SUs. Does the AI create new ones or is that something the player needs to do? If it is something we have to do, is it not better to save those pools for replacements versus creating new units?

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing the game question - 1/30/2013 1:46:46 AM   
turtlefang

Regarding SU creation. It depends.

If you play the Germans, you get what you get. And you will recieve some reinforcements. And some will withdraw. But you can't create anything.

If you play the Soviets, you get what you start with and you can create SUs as you need to for the Soviets. The Soviets allow you to "build" an army within set parameters.

And yes, this game can give you heartburn learning it. But its worth it.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Playing the game question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI