How I managed to get CoH working w/ 1.17

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

promethean

How I managed to get CoH working w/ 1.17

Post by promethean »

I had multiple issues with the "vanilla" install of 1.1 of this game. Having just purchased as a digital download (Slitherine), I was a little surprised that it wasn't the most recent version but an unpatched original. Had it been an up-to-date version it would have saved me some 4 or 5 hours of redownloading, uninstalling, reinstalling, testing, etc.

In any case, here's what I had to do: The update through the native menu would not work (serve file error every time), so I had to download the standalone version from Matrix. After installing, there was no Vertex/Pixel Shader 2.0 launch option. I knew from other forum posts that it was in the update, so I installed the update to its own folder separate from the original CoH install location. I could see that this then had the appropriate launch options, so I just copied everything in this folder over to the original install location, overwriting anything that already existed.

Finally, I had to edit the launch shortcut. For some reason, it had a "start in" value that was probably derived from the developer's machine rather than my own: "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\HexGame\HexGame\bin\x86\Release" I assume this is the case because I am not Eric, and I don't have a VS 2008 on my machine.

So, in case anyone else has update issues, here is a possible work around. After all of this, it works quite nicely and seems a Great Game.

One last question for the devs though, out of curiosity: Why "HexGame" ? I mean, aside form the obvious in that the game has hexes in it.
ericbabe

RE: How I managed to get CoH working w/ 1.17

Post by ericbabe »

Glad to hear you got it working, though I think the option for PS2.0 on the menu was added in one of the patches. Which launch shortcut are you talking about? There might be some leftover from my machine in the game directory (though none of these is really intended for use), but it seems very implausible that any of the ones that Matrix created with the installer should refer to that directory, they not having my directory structure on the machines with which they create the installers.

It's called "HexGame" because that's the name of my game engine. I can't figure out how to automate Visual Studio to rename it. I could rename it externally but I was never sure whether this would cause security problems with the manifest file on some machines.

Return to “Tech Support”