Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

COTA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> COTA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
COTA - 1/28/2013 2:12:55 PM   
wodin

Just reinstalled and after a false start where it kept minimizing to desktop (had to run WinXP compatibly)I have to say it was like seeing an old friend. The maps..the colour scheme..the smaller unit scenarios...loved it. I find it for some reason a much more pleasurable wargaming experience than BFTB, most likely no mud, a superb selection of scenarios including unit count no real killer Arty. I actually didn't miss any of the new features BFTB brought to the table except maybe clicking on a weapon to see a description and a pic. I'm hoping the new features in EF like dismounted Inf have more of an impact than the features in BFTB over COTA which really where mainly UI additions (though the UI in COTA pretty much perfect anyway).

I hope the COTA exp pack doesn't just have the larger scenarios.

To those who haven't played COTA for awhile..go give it ago, it really is a gem.

< Message edited by wodin -- 1/28/2013 2:13:52 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: COTA - 1/28/2013 2:45:30 PM   
simovitch

COTA ex-pack will have ALL of the old scenarios, including the North Africa expansions scenarios.

These have several fixes and adjustments to accommodate the new engine, but still play out similar to the old COTA.

simovitch

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: COTA - 1/28/2013 3:20:17 PM   
wodin

Excellent..think I've asked that before...still good to know.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 3
RE: COTA - 2/8/2013 2:38:44 AM   
Agent S

any news on the ETA for COTA expansions?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: COTA - 2/8/2013 6:16:13 AM   
Arjuna

I hope to sign off on this by the end of February. It will then have to go to Matrix for the usuall installer build and this usually takes a fortnight.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Agent S)
Post #: 5
RE: COTA - 2/8/2013 11:43:28 AM   
ulisin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

I hope to sign off on this by the end of February. It will then have to go to Matrix for the usuall installer build and this usually takes a fortnight.

WOW!!

I love you
-)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: COTA - 3/15/2013 1:22:33 AM   
Llyranor

Hi,

Any update on this?

(in reply to ulisin)
Post #: 7
RE: COTA - 3/15/2013 2:42:14 AM   
Arjuna

We are running another conversion over the COTA maps this weekend. We discovered in playtesting that the original conversion designed for BFTB had an unfortunate side effect in that it reset all the move rates to the default BFTB rates. This in turn meant that certain terrain like broken was no longer passable to motorised units. Alas there were a number of cases where units started in broken or where objectives were placed in broken and so we had to address this.

The trouble was we had done a fair bit of manual tweaking to the maps and a simple reconversion wasn't going to hack it. In the end we have added an extra feature to the MapMaker. It now exports the MapEffects from any map into a CSV or spreadsheet file. this can be opened in Excel and edited and then reimported back into the map. So this weekend Richard is going through the old COTA maps and crafting a set of MapEffects files, tweaking these as needed and then applying them to all the COTA maps. Ain't he wonderful.

In the meantime we have been autotesting the scenarios using the crook maps and we have fixed a number of bugs. I had no errors last night. So things are looking good. We have just one major issue to address with the engine and that is a nasty crash to desktop (CTD) bug that occurs when running the game fast and placing lots of waypoints. Only a short while ago did Miquel and I concur that its a thread issue - ie both the UI and AI threads are trying to access the same bit of data at the same time. Miquel is endeavouring to make this thread safe as I type.

Once that is done I will sign off on the final BFTB Patch #4 build (4.4.259) probably on Monday. We will then give the COTA scenarios another week of testing and sign off the Ex Pack.

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 3/15/2013 2:44:19 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 8
RE: COTA - 3/15/2013 9:28:48 AM   
phoenix

Excellent Richard and Dave!

You mention the CTD issue Dave - will the targetting boxes thing be tidied up too?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 9
RE: COTA - 3/15/2013 10:07:48 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Excellent Richard and Dave!

You mention the CTD issue Dave - will the targetting boxes thing be tidied up too?

No but that can wait for another update. I cannot get it to repeat reliably. At some point we'll get a case where it does and then we get to the bottom of it. But I am not going to hold things up for it.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 10
RE: COTA - 3/15/2013 10:15:31 AM   
phoenix

Cheers. It's cosmetic, I guess. I can't get it to repeat either.

Great we'll get the final on Monday. I'll be able to get past that CTD...

< Message edited by phoenix -- 3/15/2013 10:16:25 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 11
RE: COTA - 4/11/2013 1:05:47 AM   
jjthorn

Any news on when COTA will be available?

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 12
RE: COTA - 4/11/2013 1:10:39 AM   
Arjuna

As soon as I can sign off on the patch.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to jjthorn)
Post #: 13
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 5:52:36 AM   
Arjuna

I am just reviewing the COTA data files and there is one shortcoming we have. Namely, it's the lack of equipment images. Does anyone know of some good public domain images of early war equipment?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 14
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 8:40:03 AM   
springel

quote:

I am just reviewing the COTA data files and there is one shortcoming we have. Namely, it's the lack of equipment images. Does anyone know of some good public domain images of early war equipment?

All images on Wikipedia are public domain.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 15
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 8:52:29 AM   
Arjuna

Thanks for the advice but that is technically not true. When you upload images to your Wiki you can specify whether or not they are copyright.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 16
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 9:28:06 AM   
navwarcol

http://www.historyofwaronline.com/WW2-4.html
This is a pretty good site, not sure if they have what you are looking for, but maybe worth a peek if you have not seen them before.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 17
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 10:53:29 AM   
dazkaz15

I thought that any copyright issues for images stopped after X number of years, from when the picture was taken, as it is the photographer that has the rights to that image.
Any original images that old would surely not have a copyright issue now. I doubt that there are even many of them alive still.

There are some images here.

http://www.histomil.com/viewtopic.php?f=338&t=3918&start=1770

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=148507&sid=f1c57f491a8a2d087e1efd0735ee4c75&start=15

Can you be more specific as to the kind of pictures you are looking for Dave?

B&W or colour?
Small or big?
Do you have a list of the equipment you are missing the pics for?

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 4/15/2013 12:30:26 PM >

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 18
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 11:14:21 AM   
dazkaz15

This is a very usefull post regarding copyright law.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?103071-Copyright-Issues-For-WWII-Photos-Used-in-ASL

Here is a very comprehensive artical from the WIKI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain#German_World_War_II_images

The problem is its a long boring read, and even if you read it all, you are still left just as confused
At least I was. I guess a law degree would halp to understand it some

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 4/15/2013 11:26:00 AM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 19
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 11:42:31 AM   
dazkaz15

If you can be bothered to read all this you will see what I mean. It's a complete mess.

Trying to track down if these kind of images have copyright or not is a non starter.
I would say just use what you want, and if someone complains take it out and replace it with something else.

German World War II images
In short: All deemed copyrighted by their authors. In the U.S. and the UK, special exceptions for "seized enemy property" may apply.
The issue of German photographs from World War II has created some confusion. Are they still copyrighted? What about governmental images (such as propaganda)? What about images seized by Nazi Germany?

The copyright situation in Germany concerning such images is in itself confusing. Originally, these images were subject to the 1907 Kunsturhebergesetz (KUG), which provided for a copyright term for photographs of 10 years from publication, or 25 years p.m.a. for unpublished works. In 1940, the KUG was modified to provide a copyright term of 25 years from publication, also applicable to all works that were either still unpublished or still copyright protected (§26). In 1965, the first version of the German Urheberechtsgesetz (UrhG) became effective, again with a copyright term for photographs of 25 years from publication, or 25 years from creation, if the image had not been published in that time (§68). As a result, copyright on photographs from the World War II expired at the end of 1970.[49]

However, with the 1993 EU Directive on harmonising the term of copyright protection, which became effective in Germany on July 1, 1995 and is implemented in German law in §137f, these works suddenly became copyright protected again, until 70 years p.m.a! This was caused by Spain's longer copyright term of 80 years p.m.a. (see section on copyright restoration) with [50] This suddenly superseded Germany's old "25 years"-rule that had governed World War II images. As a result, an image published in 1943 that had been in the public domain in Germany since 1968 became copyrighted again in 1995 with the EU term of 70y p.m.a.[51]

As a result, such images were copyright protected on January 1, 1996[52] (which is the critical date as far as U.S. copyright law is concerned), and therefore, they are copyrighted even in the U.S.

The situation of German World War II photographs found in U.S. governmental archives is controversial. They might fall (in the US only) under 17 U.S.C. 104A(a)(2), which exempts from the URAA copyright restorations works on which the copyright was seized and administered by the U.S. Office of the Alien Property Custodian and on which a restored copyright would be held by a foreign government.[53] It is unclear to what works exactly this provisio would apply,[53] as it can be argued that copyright of hardly any of the WWII works at all were owned by the German government and the Nazi party, but by private people and organizations. Most of these seized copyrights were returned to their foreign owners in 1962 by public law Pub. L. No. 87–846,[53][54] but on motion pictures, the U.S. retained the right "to reproduce, for its own use, or exhibit any divested copyrighted motion picture films."[53] There is also the Price vs. United States (69 F.3d 46) ruling that at least places serious constraints on the practical enforceability of copyrights on such works in the U.S.[55] The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum even tags some such images as "© USHMM". It is also unclear what the U.S. position on "official" images of the Nazi regime is. It should be noted that even the NARA acknowledges the presence of copyrights from the war era on some of its holdings remaining with the institutions and individuals who own the artwork, as oppose to their Nazi plunderers.

Another example are German newsreels, a kind of weekly news shown in movie theatres before the advent of television. Most such Wochenschau films are still copyrighted; the rights are held by Transit Film GmbH in Germany. In the U.S. the copyright on these films from 1914 until the 1940s had expired due to non-compliance with U.S. formalities; the copyright was then restored in 1996 by the URAA on those published after 1922. The Transit Film company then even filed so-called "notices of intent to enforce" (NIEs) with the U.S. Copyright Office and can now even enforce its copyrights against parties who used their films (rightfully!) before the URAA became effective. The same is also true for most UFA films; the rights holder in this case is the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation [7]. The song Lili Marleen is another such case; the rights holder is Schott Music International [8].

In the United Kingdom, confiscated German works brought into the country between September 3, 1939 and July 9, 1951 had all German interests, both physical ownership and intellectual property rights such as copyrights or patents, extinguished by the Enemy Property Act of 1953. This expropriation affected only the status of such works within the UK; the international rights on German works were left untouched. [56] This act was repealed in 1976, but the copyrights on such seized works were not restored in the UK.[57][58]

In general, wartime German images cannot be tagged as being in the public domain.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 20
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 1:06:42 PM   
springel

quote:

Thanks for the advice but that is technically not true. When you upload images to your Wiki you can specify whether or not they are copyright.

Sorry for the inaccuracy.

In practice however most pictures are published under the Creative Commons License, meaning you just have to credit the source, which you could easily do in some credits screen of the program.

Every picture has this information in some screen, like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J08365,_Ausbildung,_%C3%9Cberrollen_durch_Panzer.jpg

So I think Wikipedia may provide a useful source.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 21
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 1:42:26 PM   
redwolf

Wikipedia is still a good source, because every picture on there has very specifically stated what the license is if it is copyrighted, or whether it is public domain. Even if it is copyrighted with a license stated you will be able to use it in a commercial game if the license allows it.

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 22
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 2:11:51 PM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15
Can you be more specific as to the kind of pictures you are looking for Dave?

B&W or colour?
Small or big?
Do you have a list of the equipment you are missing the pics for?

Basically its all the equipment in the original COAT Estabs. As to colour, I don't care. B&W is fine but hey if there is a good colour image we can use that too. As to size, well we only need a small picture. Most of the few that we have are 96 x 46. Some are a 96 x 61.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 23
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 7:13:50 PM   
dazkaz15

I don't have the original COTA as I'm quite new to the franchise, and it hardly seems worth getting now as work is going on with the new expansion, which I will definitely be buying.
So can anyone please help with a list of some of the missing equipment, to save Dave doing it (we need to keep him working on our expansion right ) so I can help in the search for some images of it?

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 4/15/2013 7:15:18 PM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 24
RE: COTA - 4/15/2013 7:42:09 PM   
phoenix

Well, I have COTA, Daz, but it doesn't have an estab editor (as far as I know) as I think that only came with BFTB. I have no idea about editing estabs anyway. So there's no way to know what images are needed (there are no image tabs at all in game, though in the scenmaker some of the estab tabs have images, some don't). Or no way I can tell. I would think - if you're going to hunt down stuff for Dave - then he would be happy to provide a list from his tools of what's missing? Ask him. I'm sure he'll be delighted you're to help.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 25
RE: COTA - 4/16/2013 12:26:15 AM   
Arjuna

Yes I would be delighted Daz. If you are willing to track these images down for us and can do so now then I can offer you a free copy of the Ex Pack. The only thing though is that I need them asap and I would understand if you can't make the time available right now. I can provide an xml file with the equipment list that you can open in a text editor.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 26
RE: COTA - 4/16/2013 7:37:31 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

Yes I would be delighted Daz. If you are willing to track these images down for us and can do so now then I can offer you a free copy of the Ex Pack. The only thing though is that I need them asap and I would understand if you can't make the time available right now. I can provide an xml file with the equipment list that you can open in a text editor.

Sorry Dave but I am off on holiday (vacation) for over two weeks in a few days (Friday) to Disney World in Florida, with my kids, and Grand kids. (nine hour flight first though, so not looking forward to that bit!)
So you won't hear from me at all for that time, and I certainly won't have time, or internet access, to help with all the pics, and not enough time before then to justify the cost of the Expansion pack.

Thanks for the offer of the Expansion pack though. Maybe someone else will take up the challenge for that?

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 4/16/2013 7:42:04 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 27
RE: COTA - 4/19/2013 1:12:17 PM   
dazkaz15

Hopefully you got this message when I posted it a few days back Dave, but it kind of bugged out, and never marked it as unread or a new post.
It need s bump in case anyone else is able to help you out.

Anyway I'm off now.

Try not to break anything while I'm gone

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 28
RE: COTA - 4/19/2013 2:00:02 PM   
wodin

If someone can direct me to some of the sources at least I will have ago at it and get them to scale etc etc.

Rough guess how many pics is it thats needed..I can then work out how long it will take me..

Also the xml would come in handy.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/19/2013 2:02:46 PM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 29
RE: COTA - 4/20/2013 2:24:13 PM   
wodin

Well I would have started this weekend..but no reply makes me think Dave isn't to bothered..so be it.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> COTA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI