There was a discussion a while back where Flav, Michael T, Walloc and several other noted folks participated regarding trucks and truck problems.
That group, led by some analysis that Walloc did, came to the following conclusions:
- The Soviet will see a surge in trucks and actually be in good shape if the Soviet can avoid large losses due to encirclements in 41
- A single vehicle factory point will produce 6-8,000 trucks over the game assuming evacuations and then restarting once. So that 20 pts factory in Karkov(I think) makes 120,000 vehicles over the game. That's close to all the trucks you may need for all your Tank Corps in the game. From one place. Now, trucks just got a lot more interesting, didn't it? And vehicle factories a lot more important.
- The first blizzard, if the Soviet's aggressive, will cost a lot of lost trucks. The surge back over the destroyed rail lines is going to cost a lot of vehicles in carry supplies to the troops. Based on personal experience, this is an understatement as you can really burn through them if your not careful. And also in the Spring if those rr aren't repaired.
- The Soviet has to assume his truck situation will, at best, remain stable in 42; the pool's not going to increase much if at all. Your troop levels will increase at about what your truck pool should increase in 42. So the trucks get sucked into those units. And supply those units. Which means that your not going to have much to build those tanks corps, mech corps and art div - plus any Inf Corp you build. All will stress your truck situation. Of course, the good thing is that if its stressed, your probably going to survive and emerge with Soviet 2.0 army at some point.
The other thing to remember is that the Soviet supply situation can really be compounded by a lack of trucks to carry the supplies. With a -2 in 41 and a -1 in 42, any truck shortage can impact unit supply levels much more than just the shortage. And its a cycle. The fewer supplies in your units, the more supplies your trucks will try to carry to them; the more they carry, the more that breaks or you lose to the supply situation. If your not careful, you can get behind this power curve as the number of units increase but your truck pool is getting smaller. So shorten the supply lines to those rail lines ASAP. Shorter lines to rr = more trucks.
- Its 43 the LL and the factory multiple starts (evac start coming back on line at full value) to get better for the Soviets. So big truck hogs like Mech Corp or Art Div can can finally be supported without destroying your supply system.
- By 44, you should be able to do anything you want to without concern regarding the truck situation.
So having truck issues in 42 is the norm. If you can make sure the supply required vs the number of trucks in the pool are too far out of balance, your in good shape. But build smart and careful because a few big units can really hurt.
And one last point regarding Tank/Mech Corps. These actually cost you 600 trucks. Each tank X already has 300 trucks (at full strenght) in the unit and you have to use three of these to create a Tank Corps. So the net cost is 600 trucks. 1500 required in the Tank Corps less the 900 in the three tank X= 600 net.
Mech Corp are an out and out 2700 trucks out of the pool. You have to build the mech X as you don't get these for free via reinforcements. Which is why two or three of these big fellows can really take a bite out of your truck pool in 42.