Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> 50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units - 1/28/2013 12:08:46 AM   
kmitahj

looking for confirmation here... My understanding is that (putting aside multitude of other possible resupply penalties/bonuses):
- unit having no cooperative HQ nor supply unit nearby is getting 66% of on-map drawn resupply value.
- unit adjoining to either cooperative HQ or cooperative supply unit will get 100% of on-map location resupply value.
- bonuses from nearby HQ and supply unit are cumulative meaning that unit adjacent to both is going to achieve 150% of basic on-map location reuspply - that is as long as both neighboring HQ and supply unit are cooperative in regard to that unit.

First is the above correct? Second assuming it is second more specific (DNO scenario specific) inquiry follows:
in DNO russians have quite a few industry factories modelled as fixed supply units. In theory before evacuation to the Ural area these factories could be used to speed up resupply of Red Army units based on the above. However the caveat is these factories/supply units are all in separate formations which are set to internal support. My understanding is that in that situation only units on free support and units from force support formations which happen to have the same icon background color are cooperative with these factories. As I think there are no free support units in russian OOB (except STAVKA HQ unit itself that is) and there seem to be only a handful of (NKVD/security) units in force support formations which happen to have same icon's background color then - if I'm negotiating successfully that dreadful formation-support/unit-cooperation obstacle course - bulk of Red Army has no chance to benefit from the 50% resupply bonus from theirs factory-supply units. I this conclusion correct?

Post #: 1
RE: 50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units - 1/30/2013 12:29:29 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

putting aside multitude of other possible resupply penalties/bonuses

I gave up trying to keep track of the calculations and version changes over the years. Its easier for me to monitor one or two units that perform no action during a turn to see what they get. Note that if you have supply units in a scenario, they also provide a bonus to units that are within the supply radius (and as you said, more if adjacent).

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 2
RE: 50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units - 1/31/2013 12:59:13 AM   
General Staff

I'd agree with sPzAbt653. You can spend the rest of your life as a Quartermaster on the TOAW Eastern Front. I've developed a kind of 'may the Force be with you' mentality on issues like this- I understand the basics and always bear them in mind (with supply net or trace on at beginning of a turn say). But there are so many other variables in a campaign I've no hard and fast rules, other than that if I can afford to make it a priority given operational concerns I do. So I (sometimes) look at the #s- Adjusted Force Supply Stockpile, Formation Supply Distribution Efficiency and if I can I place units in better supply positions (e.g. urban/roads/rail) with/adjacent to HQs/supply units.

What I'd suggest is read a really useful article on supply here and particularly the following comments/addenda as an example and anything else you can get your hands on supply-wise (including the 3.4 What's New doc which has fundamental changes to the calcs). Then come back here with a specific example that we can discuss and confirm for you, maybe even using a scenario, either one that comes with the game or one you've built specifically to test your understanding. I know you've mentioned DNO, but a hex reference/units/any #s you think are correct would be helpful.

< Message edited by General Staff -- 1/31/2013 1:00:00 AM >

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: 50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units - 2/2/2013 6:55:51 PM   
kmitahj

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, I understand that these things look rather trivial if not outright boring for experienced players. The issue which catched me by surprise here and which indeed triggered me to look for confirmation on the forum was the requirement for cooperativness of supply units for getting the resupply bonus from them. Anyway I would probably do better doing my own homework and setting up test scenario then bothering the forum.

Still - trying to put aside boredom somewhat - if somebody will ever try to make a quiz on TOAW nuances I'd like to submit a candidate for one of its questions: Are HQ units awarded 50% resupply bonus automatically (due to beeing adjacent to itself) or do they need another cooperative HQ unit next to them to exchange the resupply bonus?

(in reply to General Staff)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> 50% resupply bonus from adjacent Hqs & supply units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI