Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: We Will Fight and Die Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: We Will Fight and Die Here Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: We Will Fight and Die Here - 2/10/2013 7:10:50 PM   
Yakstock

I agree - and I am jealous how close you are to the battlefield - it will be a great visit. I too love the way this game draws you into the history behind the battle. Makes you want to know all you can about the battle.

I spent some time this year visiting Antietam and Gettysburg (only a few hours from me in America) and it is always moving to tour old battlefields and get a feel for the history behind the battle. Antietam is noted as the bloodiest one day of battle in American history. 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of fighting on September 17, 1862. Hard to imagine even after walking the battlefield.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 31
RE: We Will Fight and Die Here - 2/10/2013 7:42:26 PM   
phoenix

Ditto - jealous you can take a two hour trip to Antietam and Gettysburg. Would love to visit both places. Have read a lot about Antietam (after playing the SOW game, bought here on Matrix). It's true it's very hard to imagine what it was like, even after having seen photos and read accounts. The Ardennes is odd. It's very easy to find old foxhole indentations and such like, in the woods around Bastogne, for example. But very hard to imagine it, still. Only 70 years ago, right here in Europe. Hard to believe at all. The WW1 battlefields are even more puzzling. When I was little you could very easily talk to people who had served in the trenches in WW1. They're all dead now. Funny to think that those people, when they were little, could easily - if American - have spoken to veterans of Antietam. Someone 20, say, in 1862, would only have been 63 in 1905, when a man who later served in WW1 could have been 10 and chatted to him, and who himself would have thus been in his eighties to speak to me when I was 10, roughly, in the early 70s. So a man who I spoke to about serving in WW1 could have spoken to a man who took part in Antietam. Makes Antietam seem not very far away. But soon there won't even be any WW2 vets left to talk to....

< Message edited by phoenix -- 2/10/2013 7:43:50 PM >

(in reply to Yakstock)
Post #: 32
RE: We Will Fight and Die Here - 2/10/2013 10:55:45 PM   
Arjuna

Back in 1979 I and my wife were travelling in Europe. We were driving around Loch Nes in Scotland and I stopped to hvae a look at a ruined castle on the waters edge. There was an older couple also looking out from the ruins acros the Lock. I struck up a conversation with the man and I mentioned how we had just come from touring around the Market Garden battlefields in Holland. He then informed me that he fought with the 101st at Eindhoven. I spent about half an hour there talking with him as he recounted some of his experiences. It was such a fortunate encounter. It was only the other day that I reflected back on this experience and came to the realisation that in all probability he would be dead now and I cannot even recall his name. Yet a little bit of his experience lives on with me, albeit a bit hazy.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 33
RE: We Will Fight and Die Here - 2/11/2013 12:05:53 AM   
Yakstock

We are losing a lot of that generation these days - they will be missed. Priceless to have had the chance to talk to a veteran of the war let alone of that battle.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 34
RE: We Will Fight and Die Here - 2/11/2013 8:13:45 AM   
Ramses

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I Can't wait to take a little trip down the road (I'm in Brussels)

Flemish of french speaking?

Edit: is doesn't matter anymore, because I found it in English and French as well. If you actually go there, the following brochure might come in handy......

Dutch
French
English

< Message edited by Ramses -- 2/11/2013 8:26:35 AM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 35
RE: We Will Fight and Die Here - 3/12/2013 8:52:12 PM   
phoenix

Hey Ramses. Just saw your last post there. I'm English, in fact. Thanks for that brochure!!

Can't recall whether you sent Dave your save of the crash that I also tried before he finished with build 258 or not. At any rate, I loaded that save and ran it with 258 and it still crashed when I followed your instructions. Might be that the crash was caused by something that was saved under 257, of course. Not sure. Just thought I'd try though.

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: We Will Fight and Die Here Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI