Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

World War 1 Timeline?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> World War 1 Timeline? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World War 1 Timeline? - 1/27/2013 4:42:49 PM   
kirk23

Is there a reason why the game, has Belgium being attacked along with France, and Britain's entry into the war, before Russia's entry into the war,when in history Russia was at war with Germany days before any off these events?

See below the true timeline off events.

28 July 1914

Austria declared war on Serbia

The Austrian government blamed the Serbian government for the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and his wife and declared war on Serbia.

Although Russia was allied with Serbia, Germany did not believe that she would mobilise and offered to support Austria if necessary.

However, Russia did mobilise and, through their alliance with France, called on the French to mobilise.

1 Aug 1914

Germany declared war on Russia.

3 Aug 1914

Germany declared war on France

Germany declared war on France. German troops poured into Belgium as directed under the Schleiffen Plan, drawn up in 1905. The British foreign secretary, Sir Edward Grey, sent an ultimatum to Germany demanding their withdrawal from the neutral Belgium.

4 Aug 1914

British declaration of war

Germany did not withdraw from Belgium and Britain declared war on Germany.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 1/27/2013 4:45:53 PM >

Make it so!
Post #: 1
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/27/2013 6:07:52 PM   
Keke

Declaring war doesn't mean that there are instantly major combat. Russia should be the last to be really active, as per history.

Jyri

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 2
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/27/2013 7:16:50 PM   
kirk23

On turn 4, the 13th August this is the first time the Entente gamer,gets to see the Russian forces.The allied player should be able to at least see his Russian forces,and move some units or build garrisons etc,before Britain enters the war.12 days after Russia declared war on Germany,and yet you have zero control over RUSSIA?

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to Keke)
Post #: 3
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/27/2013 9:22:01 PM   
Keke

boohoo

Jyri

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 4
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/27/2013 9:58:22 PM   
JeffK

As you have realised Kirk, the game is designed for the beer and pretzels market and any attempt to make it historically accurate would ruin it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Keke)
Post #: 5
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/27/2013 10:51:33 PM   
kirk23

Hi I have been pretty busy modding the game naval wise,to pay much attention to the basic start,but I have to admit to being bemused,as to how Russia started to mobilize in July,and yet as of the middle of August there are no Russian forces visable on the map,how no ? Russia is at war as the Entente player I should be able to give orders to the Russian forces before Britain's arrival in the war for petes sake!

Make it so!

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 6
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 7:44:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Hi I have been pretty busy modding the game naval wise,to pay much attention to the basic start,but I have to admit to being bemused,as to how Russia started to mobilize in July,and yet as of the middle of August there are no Russian forces visable on the map,how no ? Russia is at war as the Entente player I should be able to give orders to the Russian forces before Britain's arrival in the war for petes sake!

warspite1

kirk23 this has been debated previously along with the lack of Austrian Army in the east. Its one of the mechanisms used to ensure play balance. I think - although do not know for certain - that the developers are looking at this.

I think its fair to say that while the western front plays more like a WWI game should, in the east there does not appear to be enough units and blitzkreig tactics are possible to encircle and destroy the Russians.

Hopefully this too will be addressed in good time.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 8:48:06 AM   
Keke

quote:

Because that is how the game was designed. There is only one wrong thing with its timetable: Germany should start first, then AH on the next turn, and Russians on next, as per historical maneuvering of the armies.

Jyri

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 8
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 8:48:33 AM   
Keke

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

As you have realised Kirk, the game is designed for the beer and pretzels market and any attempt to make it historically accurate would ruin it.

Humbug.

Jyri

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 9
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 9:16:01 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

kirk23 this has been debated previously along with the lack of Austrian Army in the east. Its one of the mechanisms used to ensure play balance. I think - although do not know for certain - that the developers are looking at this.

I think its fair to say that while the western front plays more like a WWI game should, in the east there does not appear to be enough units and blitzkreig tactics are possible to encircle and destroy the Russians.

Yeah, there were no huge encirclement battles on the Eastern Front in WW1 . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tannenberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_the_Masurian_Lakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Przemy%C5%9Bl

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 9:31:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

warspite1

I think that is a tad unfair. In making a fun game, that imo is a little more than beer and pretzels, a few design choices have gone a little awry. But these (hopefully) will be fixed, and the game is still fun!

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 11
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 9:38:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Yeah, there were no huge encirclement battles on the Eastern Front in WW1 . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tannenberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_the_Masurian_Lakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Przemy%C5%9Bl

warspite1

Nice sarcasm . Good addition to the conversation......

I am not talking about set piece battles and encirclements on a local scale - and if you have played the game you will know exactly what I am talking about....

I am talking about bottling up the Russian Army around Vilna - Kovno - Minsk while the south is a free for all race to as many Russian cities as possible and being able to freely re-supply armies in Rostov and Orel etc without penalty.

Russia has to save itself in the north or their only port goes (and the ability for the Entente to wage effective submarine war in the Baltic). Plus - Petrograd and Moscow need protection.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 12
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 9:50:31 AM   
kirk23

Don't get me wrong I really do like the game,as you say its fun to play and very easy to get into,with patches I'm sure things will be altered,the game is being played by more and more people,and so problem areas will show themselves because of this,I don't know how many testers were involved with the game before official release,but us gamers are now an army of testers.

Speaking as a modder of games,I only try to improve the game for everyone,if it don't feel right to me, and there is a way to edit it, then I will change it.All the units in the game be it land,air or sea represent different forces,but we do not know what the size of these forces are.An Infantry unit for example,is this a division sized unit of over 20,000 men everthing is guess work.

Make it so!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: World War 1 Timeline? - 1/28/2013 11:45:15 AM   
Keke

quote:

An Infantry unit for example,is this a division sized unit of over 20,000 men everthing is guess work.

No it is an Army sized unit...

Jyri

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> World War 1 Timeline? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI