Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Here we go again.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Here we go again. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 5:31:01 AM   
BASB

This time last week we were sitting home waiting for a fire front to hit. It passed and we were spared.
Today we are doing the same thing, except we have evacuated the kids and animals. Our fire authorities have painted a much more bleak outcome for this week. The fire is currently travelling in easterly direction. The fire has a narrow front and a very long flank. The fire is under control and they have a solid containment line on the southern flank, however when the wind change hits tonight the fire will change direction creating a very large front putting my town and several others in my region smack bang in the middle the fire path. That's all the good news, the bad news is if the fire jumps the containment line on the current southern flank, the fire services haven't got enough resources to prevent the fire entering these towns, if this does happen, the fire authorities suggest the only thing that will stop the fire will be rain. In the past the wind changes have been lucky for us, I hope we're lucky for the third time!

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 1
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 5:35:09 AM   
Chickenboy

Be safe, mate! Hope for the best for you and your town.

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 2
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 10:47:34 AM   
british exil

I see you're online so the situation hasn't gotten out of control for you yet.
How long have these fires been raging? I mean if it has been burning for a few days surely the fire men will be exausted?

Kee us posted here.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 3
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 11:19:07 AM   
doomtrader

Keep the faith!
Our thoughts are with you and yours.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 4
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 12:18:29 PM   
BASB

Thanks folks, the fire in my area started over a week ago, and has burnt out approx 60 thousand hectares. It threatened my 60th birthday gathering last weekend and now its threatening my trip to the Gold Coast, a Holiday resort in Queensland.
I moved to this part of the world about 7 years ago, this is the third major fire in our area plus a couple of floods. This is a great place to live, but it has its moments. There is a bit of pain in sitting around and waiting, but it sure the beats the crap out losing your house. In other times and places others haven't been so lucky. In 2006 our town lost around 15 houses. In 2009 some of you may of heard of Black Saturday, over 2 thousand houses were lost in a few days in Victoria when that fire raged out of control. My wife, my daughter(who has come home to be with us) and I will be up most of the night watching and waiting for the expected ember attack. We do have a Bushfire Plan, tomorrow we'll know how good it is. in meanwhile gotta keep smiling.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 1:14:39 PM   
VPaulus

Keep safe. My thoughts are with you and your family.

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 6
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 2:19:02 PM   
Max 86

Good luck to your and your family.

I have went through something similar where I live. We had wildfires raging in our area not too long ago so I know how stressful it can be. I'm sure you have taken all the necessary precautions so I just mention this from my own experience - make sure you have all your important papers, deeds, titles, birth certificates, familly pics, etc. in one or two boxes for easy transport. My wife and I spent way too much time putting those things together when the evacuations started. Have a case of bottled water ready and something to cover your face to keep the smoke and ashes out when you have to bug out.

Stay safe.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 7
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 4:39:03 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Those fires look really bad on the news.  Hope you and your family and friends keep safe.  We will say a word of prayer.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 8
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 4:46:20 PM   
vonRocko

Good luck, stay safe.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 9
RE: Here we go again. - 1/24/2013 11:44:07 PM   
BASB

A wind change in the last hour or so has taken the immediate threat away, sadly this means some other town now under threat. So lucky again just some ash and few embers this morning. thanks for the thoughts

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 10
RE: Here we go again. - 1/25/2013 7:46:51 AM   
british exil

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

A wind change in the last hour or so has taken the immediate threat away, sadly this means some other town now under threat. So lucky again just some ash and few embers this morning. thanks for the thoughts

Sadly what is someones gain is also someones loss. You were hoping for a wind change or rain. Others were hoping that the wind didn't change or for rain.

Glad that it has turned out good for you, just hope your "neighbours" also have the same amount of luck.

MAt

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 11
RE: Here we go again. - 1/25/2013 7:54:15 AM   
BASB

Watching the news reports, the wind has taken it back into the wildness, currently no towns are being threatened. Rain is expected Saturday

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 12
RE: Here we go again. - 1/25/2013 1:19:27 PM   
ilovestrategy

Man, we have the same issues every October in San Diego

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 13
RE: Here we go again. - 1/26/2013 8:42:19 AM   
BASB

Southern California and the eastern states of Australia have very similar conditions in their summers I believe.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 14
RE: Here we go again. - 1/26/2013 1:14:36 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

Southern California and the eastern states of Australia have very similar conditions in their summers I believe.

Here it's almost always because of some moron not being careful with a camp fire.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 15
RE: Here we go again. - 1/26/2013 8:43:22 PM   
BASB

Our problem is far more sinister, bloody firebugs. In fact just after the cool change on Friday a fire bug was seen and eventually caught trying to lighting 2 fires! ****!

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 16
RE: Here we go again. - 1/26/2013 11:21:01 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I hope they slammed him in jail.
quote:

Our problem is far more sinister, bloody firebugs. In fact just after the cool change on Friday a fire bug was seen and eventually caught trying to lighting 2 fires! ****!

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 17
RE: Here we go again. - 1/27/2013 10:43:13 AM   
BASB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

quote:

So far this fire season about 150 deliberately fire 24 people caught half of those are minors, at worst the delinquents will get a kick up the behind and never charged. We should sue the parents

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 18
RE: Here we go again. - 1/27/2013 4:55:41 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

quote:

So far this fire season about 150 deliberately fire 24 people caught half of those are minors, at worst the delinquents will get a kick up the behind and never charged. We should sue the parents

Indeed!

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 19
RE: Here we go again. - 1/27/2013 4:57:26 PM   
Orm

Has the it rained yet?

I pray that the fires will be under control soon.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Here we go again. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll