EU3...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

EU3...

Post by wodin »

Well after playing the first HoI game many years ago which I didn't enjoy I stayed away from Paradox flagship game..only CK2 made me enjoy the engine. So having received an email with a Steam Code for EU3 bundle I downloaded the game. I must say I'm really enjoying it, far more than I thought I would. I haven't a clue what I'm doing...but this has definitely turned my attention to the new EU game.

As a history game I think the engine is superb..as a Grand Strat Wargame it doesn't do it for me at all. So I have now become a EU convert.
Terminus

RE: EU3...

Post by Terminus »

EU3 (without its manymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymany expansions) has never clicked for me. Especially due to its lack of historical events.

CK2 is better.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I enjoy CK2 for the story..EU3 bundle had a Napoleon and Divine Wind I think included, good for a freebie anyway. Thankfully my general history for the period it covers is pretty poor really..so I'm not likely to notice what others less ignorant than myself will. Sometimes ignornace is bliss.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Well after playing the first HoI game many years ago which I didn't enjoy I stayed away from Paradox flagship game..only CK2 made me enjoy the engine. So having received an email with a Steam Code for EU3 bundle I downloaded the game. I must say I'm really enjoying it, far more than I thought I would. I haven't a clue what I'm doing...but this has definitely turned my attention to the new EU game.

As a history game I think the engine is superb..as a Grand Strat Wargame it doesn't do it for me at all. So I have now become a EU convert.

I got the same email. It's a fun game.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

EU3 (without its manymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymany expansions) has never clicked for me. Especially due to its lack of historical events.

CK2 is better.
arent you dead?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It's not strictly speaking fair to compare EU3 and CK2, since they're not the same type of game, looks notwithstanding. Let me rephrase to say that I LIKE CK2 better.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

For the Glory is a good one.  Has alot of historical details added.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

EU3 (without its manymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymany expansions) has never clicked for me. Especially due to its lack of historical events ...

Apparently Paradox decided to let Euro states go ahistorical to obtain a better gaming AI, so when I purchased EU3 with the Napoleon's Ambition scenario, Nappy didn't do anything ambitious, in fact, I don't recall that he even became emperor!

"Ambition" was formerly a well-scripted attack in EU2, but when France did nothing in EU3, I was advised to become the leader of an anti-French coalition in order to entice Napoleon to act historical.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
british exil

Post by british exil »

Is EU3 worth the purchase? Beer and Pretzel game or is it a deep game to understand?

Please give an honest opinion? Has anybody regretted their buying it?

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Is EU3 worth the purchase? Beer and Pretzel game ...

I don't think any of the EU engine incarnations are B&P games .... but I didn't keep EU3 for very long.

Also, some of the more recent EU genre games from Paradox were unplayable -- paying customers should not be used as unpaid beta testers.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
wodin

Post by wodin »

CK2 turned that around Joe.

They wanted to get rid off that stigma..and with CK2 they did, lets hope they keep it up for EU4..which has become a def purchase for me..as I said Grand Strat over such long time periods work using this engine..but for things like WW2 for me it didn't.
berto

Post by berto »

I have so much wanted to love CK* and EU* (see the first line of my sig), but it never worked out.

CK2? I'm just not into human interrelationships, so fussing with arranging marriages, micro managing my court, and so on -- it all rather bores me. I also can't (or don't want to) assume "bad guy" character and bring myself to execute, poison, blind, etc. CK2 falls short on the "realism" front, as in stunted, simplified, overly abstracted combat, economics, and other aspects of the Medieval world (weather is not modeled, for instance). Then there's the Political Correctness thing, not to mention the silliness (like the recent idiotic Aztec Invasion DLC). CK2 -- a major disappointment.

EU3? Ironically, there is too little game mechanic devoted to human interrelationships, i.e., dynastic considerations are effectively absent. I fire up a game of EU3, then ... what do I do? Strangely (odd as it may seem to many of you), I feel a lack of motivation. Ruling a state, empire building is not My Thing (much less painting the map blue or doing a World Conquest). Necessarily so (due to the game's vast scope and time span), EU* is a heap of abstractedly abstracted abstractions (especially the economic model). Too many in-your-face numbers -- like mini-max gaming a spreadsheet. For me, EU* is mechanistic, dry, it lacks soul. As a plausible and immersive recreation of European and world history, it fails to convince. IMO.

Both games just never clicked for me. I tried, I very much tried. And I failed. My bad. [:(] [8|]

Bottom line: I'm not a strategy gamer; I'm a war gamer. I "just" want to maneuver and fight!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

CK2 is a story maker horrible histories game..I never went it to it nor expected it to be truly historical. No game covering som many years can be historical at least after the first two or three years. It's also NOT a wargame.

EU is a fun romp through history or a slightly alternative history again not really to be taken seriously but abit more seriously than CK2.
berto

Post by berto »

What I really want is for CK*/EU* to be as detailed and richly immersive as WITP:AE. No nonsense, no compromises.

And focused on scenarios, not on long-range empire building. So I could drop in and play interesting situations for a few decades, to experience what it might have been like to be Lorenzo de' Medici, or William I, Prince of Orange, just to give two examples.

If CK*/EU* offered that, then they might click for me. But that's not what most people want, quite evidently. Vox populi, vox Dei.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “General Discussion”