Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is Rahaeng doomed?)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is Rahaeng doomed?) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is Rahae... - 1/22/2013 10:52:17 AM   
sanderz

Hi all

Am playing as the Japanese versus the AI in a scenario 1 game and its mid March 1942.

The Chinese has slowly marched all the way to Rahaeng and i have been bombing/strafing them for about the last dozen turns. As the enemy was in jungle i was mostly getting no effect however i wondered whether it slowed the enemy down or used u some of their supply - or was it a total waste of time on my part to even try bombing them?

Does the AI cheat when it comes to supply because i would hope that as its so far from its own lines its going to be pretty innefective? Or due to the fact i only have 180AV there is Rahaeng doomed?

As a final question do all those british units stuck in the jungle block the supply that runs past them down the roads? And will the jst attrite away to nothing in due course - basically can i just leave them there or do i need move units in to attack them?

Thanks

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 1:14:31 PM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

Hi all

Am playing as the Japanese versus the AI in a scenario 1 game and its mid March 1942.

The Chinese has slowly marched all the way to Rahaeng and i have been bombing/strafing them for about the last dozen turns. As the enemy was in jungle i was mostly getting no effect however i wondered whether it slowed the enemy down or used u some of their supply - or was it a total waste of time on my part to even try bombing them?save your game then flip controll to head to head. replay the turn w/ no straf and then compare to turn you already have(save replayed turn in different slot)

Does the AI cheat when it comes to supply because i would hope that as its so far from its own lines its going to be pretty innefective? Or due to the fact i only have 180AV there is Rahaeng doomed?change your game vs comp to head to head, then look at the previous turn against this turn.

As a final question do all those british units stuck in the jungle block the supply that runs past them down the roads? And will the jst attrite away to nothing in due course - basically can i just leave them there or do i need move units in to attack them?

to stop supply you would need a complete line of Br units from the coast around moulmein over to changmai. But in a pbem game the japs would ship supplies via rangoon or Pegu in this case. Magwe has an oil refinery and will create supply for the Japs in the area. Probably best to start walking all your units over to chaig mai or up the road to Toung Gyi, this will give the the later option of complete withdrawl back to lashio. In a pbem game your brits would starve when the japs cature mandaley and lashio then you would be giving IJ victory points

Thanks

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/22/2013 1:24:44 PM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 3:50:30 PM   
Lokasenna

The Brits will block supplies that have to move through the hexes they are in, but I don't see a case from the screenshot where they would block supply flow - the road between Tavoy and Moulmein appears completely open, and from there to Pegu and on north.

Chiang Mai doesn't have an open road to it, but I believe it can draw either over the railroad or through the intervening hexes (but IIRC it's easier on the road).

Alfred's Logistics 101 thread (Logistics 101) will provide further reading, particularly "B2" about supply flow.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 3:58:34 PM   
sanderz

thanks both

have played a few more turns and the Chinese corps have not attacked - do units have to have a certain amount of supply even to be 'able' to attack?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 5:37:39 PM   
Lokasenna

No, you can attack with zero supply if you want to... But it won't do a whole lot of good.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 6:19:21 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I would increase fortification levels, and see what happens

that was not a smart AI move in any case, you can easily encircle them or let them rot there while they consume much needed supplies.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 6:28:45 PM   
linrom

You got Yok3 SNFL in Burma? LOL. That's another reason why this game is borked: lack of any realistic command structure. I bet your Yok3 is still attached to Combined Fleet? LOL.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 7:00:43 PM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: linrom

You got Yok3 SNFL in Burma? LOL. That's another reason why this game is borked: lack of any realistic command structure. I bet your Yok3 is still attached to Combined Fleet? LOL.

only 1 which was moved there to reinforce

the other 2 are RTA

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is R... - 1/22/2013 7:32:01 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: linrom

Why borked?? Yokosuka SNFL is there because it is an unrestricted unit and the human player decided so. If you are playing against the AI, you can restrict yourself not to do so, if you are playing PBEM, then you can implement house rules to not see this happening.

As far as I know, in real life SNFL were expeditionary by nature and therefore could be deployed anywhere the high command seem fit it to be, Burma is an unlikely candidate, being under direct Army command, but not impossible.

EDIT: SNLF was active in China; they fought in the battle of Shanghai, although mostly in coastal areas. But still I don't see a problem of having marines help reinforce an army besieged position

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 1/22/2013 7:42:14 PM >

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bombing with no effects - has an effect?? (and is Rahaeng doomed?) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI