Matrix Games Forums

Distant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of Nations
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting air units to fly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Getting air units to fly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting air units to fly - 1/21/2013 9:05:37 PM   
Gratch11

Playing sov and cant get the air units to work, I have placed 4 clusters of units, one is in Leningrad and has about 19 airfields with 100 units with about 1500 planes in total, but when I try and attack a german unit I get 2-6 planes to attack. Anyone has an idea what to do to make the planes attack?
Post #: 1
RE: Getting air units to fly - 1/21/2013 9:13:51 PM   
loki100

I asked something similar and the answer is that up to late 1941 the VVS is horribly organised, so your planes tend to turn up in penny packets. From those answers, best is to use it for ground support and to interfere with the Luftwaffe rather than for bombing raids

(in reply to Gratch11)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting air units to fly - 1/22/2013 1:57:24 AM   
turtlefang

The VVS is hard coded until sometime between Oct and Dec 41 (opinions vary) to show up very disorganized and in small groups for both fighters and bombers. And it has a minus 1 for ground attack in 41. Add in the supply problems the Soviet's have in 41, and your lucky to get any air support.

The Soviet VVS represents a turkey shoot in 41 for the Germans - it will just run up experience in air to air combat and cause minimal losses to the German. Best use I have found for the Soviet's air force (and this advice is worth what you paid for it, which is nothing) is:

- Put level bombers and transports on the night bases, mark them as night missions, and supply the partisans. I use the TB, DB and any other really long range bombers (Not PE series as you want to save them). After the first blizzard, I usually stop the supply to the partisans unless I have plenty of supplies. If I have plenty, I will keep supply them just to annoy the German. If I don't, then I stop. I actually have never seen a partisan attack make a difference in the game but I'm an optimist.

- Disband the air bases that disband in 42 (SABs I think, maybe SAPs I'm not at home right now). This frees up a lot of manpower for infantry replacements. At 10K men a pop, that's a lot of replacements exactly when you need them.

- Put about three or four airbases per front 10+ hexes behind your lines so they won't be over run, fill them with fighters, and increase your fighter intercept up to 300%. I start with the I series and let them get used up. They won't kill much but they can wear out the Germans by making them fly and fight. And you get billions of them. And they're useless for anything else.

- Put all your bombers in the national reserve and leave them there for 41.

- Pray. Your not going to get much from the VVS in 41. It gets better in 42. And by mid 42, you have a lot of decent fighters, decent tactical bombers (IL series), and start getting a few decent long range bombers (PE).

- Conserve your recon units. The Soviets are very short of them. You need them, especially for the blizzard offense.

(in reply to Gratch11)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting air units to fly - 1/22/2013 8:55:13 PM   
Kelblau

This is good advice. This post should be transferred to the War Room section

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Getting air units to fly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI