Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new player question - airpower

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> new player question - airpower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new player question - airpower - 1/20/2013 11:27:03 AM   
loki100

Hi

sorry if this has been asked before, but I am struggling to understand the impact of airpower. I'm still slowly learning the ropes of this game with a couple of SPs using the various 'Road to ...' scenarios and an ongoing PBEM on 'Road to Leningrad' (a sort of mutual learning experience for both of us).

Its just I am trying to understand the impact of the airwar. I'm playing the Soviets and we've just finished up turn 7. For the second turn in the row I've done quite a range of air attacks, mostly aimed at a forward airbase but also trying to chip away at the spearheads (Leningrad is all but isolated). For the 2nd turn, the grand effect of this is a small number of Soviet air losses and nil German casualties (either at the airbase or in the units I've targetted). Am I doing other damage that I am failing to recognise? Or should I just the VVS for recon missions?

ta
Post #: 1
RE: new player question - airpower - 1/20/2013 12:13:05 PM   
carlkay58

In mid 41 the VVS has a hard time with bombing but seems to be okay with ground support and recon. Later in 41 (late October/early November) you will see better results but mid 1942 is where the VVS seems to get about normal.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2
RE: new player question - airpower - 1/20/2013 6:29:40 PM   
turtlefang

It's hardcoded into the game system for the VVS to have poor bombing results in 41. There is some disagreement over when this hardcode disappears (Oct or Dec) which doesn't appear to have been definitely established. And it may be a that it goes away over time.

This seems to take at least two forms. 1) The VVS units don't show up over the combat hex in effective numbers, and 2) they have a minus on bombing effectiveness of some amount.

Last, the early model VVS air frames just aren't that great - the units have relatively low levels of experience and the tactical bombers aren't that great. As the VVS arms up with new models and the IL-2 models arrive in good numbers - usually around mid 42, you can start seeing 50+ bombers arrive over a hex. And that will make a difference. By mid to late 43, you can see upwards 300+ IL-2 over a hex and that's a huge difference.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> new player question - airpower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI