Resort Bases and Orbital Detachment

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

thiosk2

Resort Bases and Orbital Detachment

Post by thiosk2 »

I finally figured out the bar on the left, where I can find top worlds for resorts. Genius! I'm gonna put bases on all of the scenic worlds... or is it better to just put one on the best of breed, like with research bases only using the top contributor?

I built my first resort, and its now floating in the middle of nowhere, having lost the planet it was supposed to be built in orbit of. I ordered the constructor to build a duplicate at the target planet. Whats up with detached stations? Do they still work?
Modest

RE: Resort Bases and Orbital Detachment

Post by Modest »

Resort is much diffrent than science. Here You may spam Your stations and the more You do, the better. Make sure though that each scenic place will have only one resort station. Afther few years check how much tourist is on board in each station separatly, and scrap those which have not much of them (not much is very relative - so You will have to compare and decide how much is not much) and those which have none of them. And a small tip - arm them well and give them decent shielding, because there is only a few more annoying situations than pirate ships taking down resort base with milion or more tourists on board. Waste of good income, waste of citizens life and waste of resources to rebuild it again.

I think that detached stations do not work when it come to resort, but I may be wrong. I would have to check that.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

A "detachted station" as you call it is essentially a station in deep space. If you were to successfully build it on the planet, it would move with the planet. So when you initially built it, the game thought you intended to build it in space and so it didn't move. May be a bug, may be user error.

Although I haven't checked in a long time, a resort base will work no matter where you build it. But if you build it somewhere with a scenic bonus, it gives bonus revenue when you sell tickets (so-to-speak). If you build somewhere with no bonus, you just get the standard base revenue (if/when tourists show up).

I also believe that the scenic bonus drives up demand for that station compared to others.

If anyone has more accurate information, please say so.

Finally, I would like to know if a resort base gets the scenic bonus from a nuetron star if it is built on a planet orbiting the neutron star. My guess is no. But there seems to be no way, in game, to determine if a resort base is benefiting from a scenic bonus.
thiosk2

Post by thiosk2 »

I found a black hole near my territory with a whopping +75 scenic- I've ordered two constructors to build there-- all for naught. Am I missing resources that the constructor can't find, or am I asking him to build there incorrectly?
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

ORIGINAL: thiosk2

I found a black hole near my territory with a whopping +75 scenic- I've ordered two constructors to build there-- all for naught. Am I missing resources that the constructor can't find, or am I asking him to build there incorrectly?

To build on Black holes are a bit tricky anyway. The hole eat ships when they come to close and that happen mosttimes when you use the construktion order from the scenic list.
The best are you order the Const. Ship from the Galactic overview not from the solarsystem.
I should watch the ship how it fly and work, maybe let it warp out and try again when you see its goind bad.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

I also believe that the scenic bonus drives up demand for that station compared to others.

If anyone has more accurate information, please say so.

Finally, I would like to know if a resort base gets the scenic bonus from a nuetron star if it is built on a planet orbiting the neutron star. My guess is no. But there seems to be no way, in game, to determine if a resort base is benefiting from a scenic bonus.
You are correct JP. Also, yes, if you build a Resort Base at a planet orbiting a Neutron Star, the base
will benefit from the planets' bonus as well as the bonus from the Neutron star. Rare to find, but
'primo' if you do! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I wasn't thinking so much of the rare double scenic bonus situation but more of sticking a mining comp on the resort base and getting some resources at the same time as the scenic bonus from the star.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Yes JP, my Resort Base designs always have the mining components and at least one of
each of the labs as well. I do this so that I can get scenic bonuses at Black Holes and
also mine fuels when I happen across a ringed gas giant that has a scenic bonus also.
The maintenance cost for the design is higher, but this way I only have to have one
type of Resort base.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Just want to double check, but why the labs? Only actual (role-assigned) research stations give you the research bonus at a location, right? That is my understanding.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

Just want to double check, but why the labs? Only actual (role-assigned) research stations give you the research bonus at a location, right? That is my understanding.
Technically JP, all a 'Research Station' is is a Base with at least one lab component on it. I
use my aforementioned resort base design so it is a 'Jack of all trades' kind of station. This way,
if one of my Constructor ships on automatic decides to build a base at say a planet in a Neutron Star
system that has a Weapons research bonus, it can also get any energy bonus the Neutron Star has. Just
an example. As soon as I run across an example of this, I'll snap a screenshot and pm it to you. [:)]
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
... if you build a Resort Base at a planet orbiting a Neutron Star, the base
will benefit from the planets' bonus as well as the bonus from the Neutron star. Rare to find, but
'primo' if you do! [:)]

How can you tell if a resort base is benefiting from a bonus?
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Check the Station's data shown via the Research Screen.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

My understanding has been the same as jpwrunyan.  Could you check it out for us Ed?  [:)]

Specificallly I have repeatedly seen that mining stations and gas mining stations with labs do not get the research bonuses from locations that they are built at.  They do appear in the list of research stations on the left but do not provide empire wide bonuses on the right.  I really don't remember if I tried out resort bases or others as well...

Edit: when I say mining station it is the role assigned on the design screen which is crucial. A base can be identical (assuming it has the necessary components for both) and get the bonus when assigned the 'research station' role but not when designated 'mining station'.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Will freighters fetch cargo at a resort base?
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

My understanding has been the same as jpwrunyan.  Could you check it out for us Ed?  [:)]

Specificallly I have repeatedly seen that mining stations and gas mining stations with labs do not get the research bonuses from locations that they are built at.  They do appear in the list of research stations on the left but do not provide empire wide bonuses on the right.  I really don't remember if I tried out resort bases or others as well...

Edit: when I say mining station it is the role assigned on the design screen which is crucial. A base can be identical (assuming it has the necessary components for both) and get the bonus when assigned the 'research station' role but not when designated 'mining station'.

This +1.

I built a resort base at a planet orbitting a neutron star and the neutron star still shows up in the list of "potential resort locations".
Also, although I haven't checked recently, long ago, I remember my starbases that had research labs didn't get the research bonus for me.

Now, I'm not saying that ehsumrell1 is wrong. I am saying I would like to confirm for myself again.

It is easy enough to check the research bonus using non-research assigned stations.
But can you give instructions about how to check the scenic bonus for a station because I totally don't know how to do that (ie: what menu/button does that?).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”