Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Rat Patrol!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The Rat Patrol! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 3:27:26 AM   
ilovestrategy

RAT PATROL!!!!!

I was watching my childhood show on YouTube today(My wife says I'm still a little boy), and was wondering if anyone in that period of the war ever sent 2 jeeps into the middle of the desert.

Of course, I know that American soldiers did not wear Australian hats in North Africa and 2 jeeps with 50 cals cannot take out a German armoured column.

But my question is, did both sides ever send out small vehicles such as a jeep or the German equivalent into the desert to cause trouble?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 3:39:55 AM   
bairdlander

The show was inspired by and loosely modelled on the New Zealand/British/Rhodesian Long Range Desert Group, which used modified trucks armed with machine guns as their transport through the treacherous desert terrain, and Popski's Private Army. The title of the program refers to the nicknames given to some of the British Commonwealth forces in the North African campaign (Rats of Tobruk or Desert Rats). Consequently, at the time of the original telecast many British viewers took offense at the dominance of American characters on the program, the result being that the show was pulled from the BBC

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 3:43:44 AM   
bairdlander

here's a pic

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 3
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 4:18:40 AM   
ilovestrategy

Thanks Baird!

Post #: 4
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 4:23:58 AM   
warspite1

Two of my favourite plastic kits when I was a teenager
The LRDG Chevrolet and the SAS Jeep - Brilliant!!

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/20/2013 4:24:55 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 5
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 7:47:40 AM   
BASB

Hey me too. I built both of those models, and stacked them full of Tamiya's, jerry cans etc. Great models. In my my time in the Australian Army Reserve, I can remember checking out a very smashed up 6 x 6 SAS Landrover.

< Message edited by BASB -- 1/20/2013 7:51:16 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 8:32:42 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
and 2 jeeps with 50 cals cannot take out a German armoured column.

It's not WWII, but while doing research on the 67 Arab - Israel war when designing scenarios for TOAW, I read accounts of Israel using jeep teams armed with light machine guns and bazooka's sent out into the desert to meet the advancing Egyptian armor columns. They were very fast and mobile and managed to take out quite a few Egyptian tanks by appearing out of nowhere on their flanks and taking quick shots at them before scooting away behind the sand dunes. While not decisive, they were effective enough at slowing the advancing armor columns progress (probably helped buy 12-24 extra hours for mobilization) that I asked Norm to create a bazooka armed jeep equipment item for use in game.

Jim

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 1/20/2013 8:45:31 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 10:43:58 AM   
wodin

The beginnings of the SAS.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 8
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/20/2013 2:19:13 PM   
Wolfe

And by the 1980's the Japaneese car industry had caught up in this area as well.

The Toyota War http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

Attachment (1)

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/21/2013 1:42:54 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

Of course, I know that American soldiers did not wear Australian hats in North Africa and 2 jeeps with 50 cals cannot take out a German armoured column.

They didn't take out a German armoured column in the video. They just took out its supply trucks and escaped.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

Post #: 10
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/22/2013 12:40:00 AM   
jimi3

Thanks for bringing back the Tamiya memories. Then there was Airfix...................

Cheers, Jim

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/22/2013 1:16:57 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

The show was inspired by and loosely modelled on the New Zealand/British/Rhodesian Long Range Desert Group, which used modified trucks armed with machine guns as their transport through the treacherous desert terrain, and Popski's Private Army. The title of the program refers to the nicknames given to some of the British Commonwealth forces in the North African campaign (Rats of Tobruk or Desert Rats). Consequently, at the time of the original telecast many British viewers took offense at the dominance of American characters on the program, the result being that the show was pulled from the BBC

Well, even though there was no American participation in the LRDG and the Desert Rats were British....at least we (Americans) can take pride in having captured the Enigma machine.

Post #: 12
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/22/2013 2:55:51 AM   
bairdlander

Wrong,it was England that captured the machine from U-110,you must be thinking of the fictional film U-571.Although the film was financially successful and generally well received by critics in the USA and won an Academy Award for sound editing, the fictitious plot attracted substantial criticism as, in reality, it was British personnel from HMS Bulldog who first captured a naval Enigma machine, from U-110 in the North Atlantic in May 1941, long before the United States entered the war, and as German U-boat crews were portrayed in a very negative light which doesn't correspond with established facts. The anger over the inaccuracies even reached the British Parliament, where Prime Minister Tony Blair stated that the film was an "affront" to British sailors.

The real U-571 was never involved in any such events, was not captured, and was in fact sunk in January 1944, off Ireland, by a Short Sunderland flying boat from No. 461 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 13
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/22/2013 7:32:37 AM   
wodin

Well at least the Americans....erm..hmmm...had lots of Arty!

Post #: 14
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/22/2013 7:33:27 AM   
wodin

Sorry duplicate post.

< Message edited by wodin -- 1/22/2013 7:34:48 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: The Rat Patrol! - 1/22/2013 10:15:08 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

and 2 jeeps with 50 cals cannot take out a German armoured column.

It's not WWII, but while doing research on the 67 Arab - Israel war when designing scenarios for TOAW, I read accounts of Israel using jeep teams armed with light machine guns and bazooka's sent out into the desert to meet the advancing Egyptian armor columns. They were very fast and mobile and managed to take out quite a few Egyptian tanks by appearing out of nowhere on their flanks and taking quick shots at them before scooting away behind the sand dunes. While not decisive, they were effective enough at slowing the advancing armor columns progress (probably helped buy 12-24 extra hours for mobilization) that I asked Norm to create a bazooka armed jeep equipment item for use in game.

Jim

But they didn't have the cool theme song from the show.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The Rat Patrol! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote