Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HQ/SU Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> RE: HQ/SU Bug Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 12:03:42 AM   
Michael T

We don't get to see what the other player has disdanded I think. Its WAD I think.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 61
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 3:38:51 AM   
Joel Billings

Sappers are still in the unit as of the start of Soviet turn 90 so Michael can continue.

As for the Front HQ, I'm checking into it further, but by 1944 the Soviets only have 11 Fronts, so it's possible as territory is gained the number of fronts is reduced automatically to 11 (what you have now). The manual may not have a complete list of all the changes that take place, but I'll see what info we can turn up about this.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 62
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 4:26:40 AM   
Michael T

Well that Front has only been on the map since T71. I had not even done too much with it to date, but I had plans for it!

The real pain is losing the NW Air HQ. Because now I have to re-assign some other Air HQ, add a decent leader and then attach the AirBases. Maybe ~40 AP. But small fry compared to the sapper thingy.

BTW the Front HQ that vanished in my T89 is still in the 1943 scenario well after T89. Also Flavius mentioned that Bryansk Front HQ is the only Front HQ that should dissapear.

< Message edited by Michael T -- 1/30/2013 4:31:25 AM >

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 63
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 8:27:16 AM   
Michael T

The bug has struck again. Every turn I send around 5 to 10 Air units to the reserve and replace said units with units from the reserve.

Last turn I sent the usual 5 to 10 units to reserve. When I looked at the T90 event log I see (see attachment) almost 100 air units sent to reserve. It seems the AI has sent loads of Air Units to reserve from Northwest Front and Volkov Front. Joel you will see many AB from these Fronts are empty of A/C. I did not send all these units to reserve. And any unit that gets sent to reserve is replaced with a unit from the reserve.

To summarise this is what the AI has done on recent turns:

Around 15 of my Army HQ's were moved to the rear.
Almost all SU assigned to Corp were sent back to the parent HQ's, this has occured on 2 seperate occasions.
2 HQ's disbanded
Almost 100 Air Units sent to resereve.

I really hope you can find the problem and I really appreciate your efforts to help me out. But what the hell is going on!

I closed without saving.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Michael T -- 1/30/2013 8:49:17 AM >

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 64
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 11:26:07 AM   
morvael

Did somehow the AI is activated in the savegame, so that during logistics phase it does it's own tricks? I guess this must be stored somewhere in the save, otherwise what would differentiate a game set to HUMAN:HUMAN vs a game set to HUMAN:AI?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 65
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 11:37:33 AM   
morvael

For example when I have selected "Axis: Human" and "Soviet: Computer" then went to create a PBEM game it allowed me to create a PBEM game vs computer (asked for Soviet password, then I had the Axis password and turn). Once I opened the game as the Soviet, the AI started to do it's moves.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 66
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 11:42:09 AM   
Helpless

I've uploaded Axis turn and ran it thought the logistics using the latest beta (1.06.27) and the one mentioned in the event log (1.06.25). In both cases I couldn't see numerous air groups sent to the NR.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 67
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 11:44:35 AM   
morvael

We don't have this latest beta yet.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 68
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 11:48:07 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

...But what the hell is going on!...

No idea at this point, but you should consider deleting the game and reinstalling in case some file has become corrupted.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 69
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 6:36:31 PM   
Joel Billings

The 1.06.27 should be released today (it's just a matter of Matrix having production time available to create and post the installer).

I also loaded the turn 90 start of German turn save, and just ended the turn and went to the Soviet logistics phase, and no Soviet air groups went to the National Reserve. Sounds like we may need to back up and have Pelton make his turn over again, and save save off before he ends his turn. I'll discuss with Pavel and see what he suggests. I don't know what Pelton could have done in his German turn that would have caused all of the units to go back to the National Reserve. My test was with 1.06.27, but Pavel said he ran the same test on 1.06.25 so that isn't the issue.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 70
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 7:34:40 PM   
Michael T

But you do see the problem when you open the file that I open? That is my turn.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

Post #: 71
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 7:55:47 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes, I see the problem in your turn, and clearly it is there after the Soviet Logistics phase. However, loading the start of Pelton's turn and ending it doesn't cause the problem to recreate. So I have reset the server back one player turn and emailed Pelton and asked him to take his turn over and save just before he ends his turn (I told him to try to do the same things over again that he did the first time, as best he can remember). Once he saves it I will download this save, and then ask him to end his turn. We will then have saves at each step.

Gary sees no code that would ever disband the Southwestern Front (as others reported,only the Bryansk front gets disbanded). So this is a real mystery to add to the pile.

Could you send me your email address (I know I had it at one time but I don't now). That way I can email you and pelton at each step. I am beginning to wonder if we will be able to track this down.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 72
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 8:07:52 PM   
morvael

Could there be a bug that temporarily overwrites some data in memory causing AI to activate during the logistics phase and do more than it should in case of "human only" logistics phase?

Post #: 73
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 8:40:48 PM   
Michael T

@Joel, email sent.

quote:

I am beginning to wonder if we will be able to track this down.

I have faith in the guru's.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 74
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/30/2013 9:59:40 PM   
gingerbread

BG0083 was also seeing the AI messing with player controlled units. Also had the pattern of occurring every other turn.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 75
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 6:33:48 AM   
morvael

And what was that bug?

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 76
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 11:22:23 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

And what was that bug?

The AI was taking some units off refit mode. Fixed in 1.06.17.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 77
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 12:33:40 PM   
morvael

So this may be similar case. I would also look in this case as in the old one, what activates the AI to do such things instead of blocking that single occurence.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 78
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 7:49:15 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes, but the symptoms in this case are not things the AI would ever do (disbanding Southwestern Front is nowhere in the code, moving tons of support units back from combat units is not something the AI would normally do, and moving HQs 10 hexes to the rear would only happen if the AI was trying to do a major retreat, in which case why didn't the units move as well?). I left Gary a message about the prior bug fix in case it rings any bells, but it's a long shot. Thanks for mentioning it though, as you never know.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 79
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 8:25:00 PM   
gingerbread

It's also a suggestion to Pavel & Gary that they run two turns with the saves downloaded from the server to see if any bug hits on the 2nd of those, that was the case for Pavel with BG0083.

Post #: 80
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 9:49:59 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Yes, but the symptoms in this case are not things the AI would ever do (disbanding Southwestern Front is nowhere in the code, moving tons of support units back from combat units is not something the AI would normally do, and moving HQs 10 hexes to the rear would only happen if the AI was trying to do a major retreat, in which case why didn't the units move as well?). I left Gary a message about the prior bug fix in case it rings any bells, but it's a long shot. Thanks for mentioning it though, as you never know.

Then why did all of the above happen over atleast 4 turns?

I dont understand why with at least 3 turns of data we are all still in the dark?

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

Post #: 81
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 10:35:26 PM   
Cannonfodder

Your getting very direct support from the producer of the game, a alpha/beta tester and one of the programmers..

The bug(?) is nasty, but they'll squash it eventually.

Chill out, they are doing the best they can

"An agile, adaptable and capable Air Force that, person for person, is second to none, and that makes a decisive air power contribution in support of the UK Defence Mission."

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 82
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 1/31/2013 10:45:11 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Your getting very direct support from the producer of the game, a alpha/beta tester and one of the programmers..

The bug(?) is nasty, but they'll squash it eventually.

Chill out, they are doing the best they can

Whats the "?" mean?

PS I am sure its top secret and no one knows what it means

< Message edited by Pelton -- 1/31/2013 10:50:50 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 83
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/1/2013 2:41:20 AM   
Joel Billings

The reason we are in the dark is because we have not been able to repeat the bug from any save. If it's not repeatable, then it can be near impossible to figure out. We are taking more saves at more points during the turn so in case it happens again we will know when it is happening. Hopefully it will then be recreatable, but if not, at least we know when it's happening. We don't know that yet from what we've seen. A server game is always harder to figure out because we don't have every save going back through time, unlike a PBEM game.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 84
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/1/2013 3:57:06 AM   
Flaviusx

If the game is somehow corrupted, is it even possible to fix that? I'm not sure this is a coding issue at all since nobody seems able to duplicate this behavior. Gremlins took a liking to this game in particular.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 85
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/1/2013 6:46:40 AM   
Cannonfodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

If the game is somehow corrupted, is it even possible to fix that? I'm not sure this is a coding issue at all since nobody seems able to duplicate this behavior. Gremlins took a liking to this game in particular.

Thats what I thought... The problems reported seem only related to THIS particular game. Thats why I said bug(?).

"An agile, adaptable and capable Air Force that, person for person, is second to none, and that makes a decisive air power contribution in support of the UK Defence Mission."

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 86
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/1/2013 4:48:36 PM   
Joel Billings

Well, having Pelton go back and replay his turn (with us downloading each save as it is made), has allowed the game to get to Michael T's turn again without the support units leaving the combat units (which they had done the first time we reached this point). So this bug did not repeat. We will continue on and see if Michael sees any other probelms that have come up.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 87
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/1/2013 7:05:55 PM   
Manstein63

Is it only the Front HQ's that are disappearing? or are army HQ's vanishing as well. Also has Pelton been checking to see if anything similar is happening to him on his turn?
Manstein63

Post #: 88
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/1/2013 9:22:55 PM   
Michael T

So far:

1 Front HQ
2 Air Army HQ's

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 89
RE: HQ/SU Bug - 2/5/2013 1:47:50 PM   
Marquo

What is the status of the situation, please.

Thanks

Mark

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> RE: HQ/SU Bug Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI