Yugoslavian Partisans & Slovakian Uprising

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Naughteous Maximus

Yugoslavian Partisans & Slovakian Uprising

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

I know its been mentioned before that this is an "Eastern Front" game dealing with just Russia as the ONLY opponent the Germans and their allies have to contend with, but since the map covers all of Slovakia, and a good portion of Bulgaria and Yugoslavia, I do not understand why the creators of this game do NOT make it more historical and add historical events and triggers in the game? I mean, how hard is it to have partisans popping up in Yugoslavia and having to maintain a German garrison to combat them? We have to deal with the Russian partisans, why not add the Yugoslavian ones too, just have them multiply with more units as time goes on just to be a pain to the German occupation. If you have triggers in the game dealing with the Finnish surrender, the Hungarian's surrender, and the Rumanian defection, how hard is it to add the Bulgarian defection too? What about the Slovakian Uprising, another trigger to add to make the game more challenging for the axis. The reason I ask is that units that were intended for the eastern front, where the units were desperately needed, often were deployed to deal with unexpected threats elsewhere, ie. dealing with partisans or former allies defecting, besides, Yugoslavia eventually became part of the eastern front when the Russians got close enough. I know this is a tall order and you guys are busy working on the new "Western Front" game, but if you cannot add these in any future expansion pacts, at least modify the editor where we can create these possible scenarios and triggers. Lets be honest, why use a map and put restrictions on it? If you just wanted to cover the "War in Russia," then the map should have stopped in eastern Poland and ended once the Russians liberated all of Russia, but since the game is "War in the East" and not "War in Russia," why put limitations and boundaries in the game? The potential in the game is incredible but needs to be unlocked so that it CAN reach its potential!
elmo3

RE: Yugoslavian Partisans & Slovakian Uprising

Post by elmo3 »

Might be a good suggestion for WitE 2.0.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Naughteous Maximus

I know its been mentioned before that this is an "Eastern Front" game dealing with just Russia as the ONLY opponent the Germans and their allies have to contend with, but since the map covers all of Slovakia, and a good portion of Bulgaria and Yugoslavia, I do not understand why the creators of this game do NOT make it more historical and add historical events and triggers in the game? I mean, how hard is it to have partisans popping up in Yugoslavia and having to maintain a German garrison to combat them? We have to deal with the Russian partisans, why not add the Yugoslavian ones too, just have them multiply with more units as time goes on just to be a pain to the German occupation. If you have triggers in the game dealing with the Finnish surrender, the Hungarian's surrender, and the Rumanian defection, how hard is it to add the Bulgarian defection too? What about the Slovakian Uprising, another trigger to add to make the game more challenging for the axis. The reason I ask is that units that were intended for the eastern front, where the units were desperately needed, often were deployed to deal with unexpected threats elsewhere, ie. dealing with partisans or former allies defecting, besides, Yugoslavia eventually became part of the eastern front when the Russians got close enough. I know this is a tall order and you guys are busy working on the new "Western Front" game, but if you cannot add these in any future expansion pacts, at least modify the editor where we can create these possible scenarios and triggers. Lets be honest, why use a map and put restrictions on it? If you just wanted to cover the "War in Russia," then the map should have stopped in eastern Poland and ended once the Russians liberated all of Russia, but since the game is "War in the East" and not "War in Russia," why put limitations and boundaries in the game? The potential in the game is incredible but needs to be unlocked so that it CAN reach its potential!

Partisans in WitE will stay the way they are (I asked about it years ago during very early ALPHA development and the answer I got was that it would be too difficult to depict them properly - i.e. too big programming effort) - in future version this will change... [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yeah, one of the most a-historical aspects of WitE. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Poland is part of Germany and there is no partisan activity at all there, as there is no uprising in Warsaw. I guess Axis players would like this event a lot: when a Soviet units moves next to Warsaw, freeze all Soviet units for 20 turns [:)]
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Naughteous Maximus

In that case add in the Croatians which actually had quite a large army (12 divisions off the top of my head) and did plenty of fighting against partisans. BTW, if we are to depict Tito's partisans, it would be wiser to use the mechanism used for 1941 Red Army which respawns automatically in November all those units that were destroyed. The reasoning is that Tito's partisans were more a kind of standing army than guerillas. However, supplies must arrive somehow from the Mediterranean since the Red Airforce is too far off (and completely unhistorical).

Another issue which is linked to the war in the Balkans is the withdrawal of Army Group E. Such a withdrawal could be simulated if the Red Army crosses the Romanian border for example and should bring additional formations to the Germans, for the final fight.

I'm rather ambivalent about Bulgaria since in essence it didn't participate actively in the war, only occupying Macedonia (as far as I know but I stand to be corrected). So maybe not including them as active participants would essentially be ok.

BTW - regarding the Slovakians, I believe that their units should not be withdrawn from the front unless the Red Army was assaulting Slovakia itself. i'm under the impression that they were released only because of the imminent threat to their homeland.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”