Ground combat & boarding parties

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

harshmyth

Ground combat & boarding parties

Post by harshmyth »

First I'd like to say O.M.G. & finally. I know that were all looking forward to Shadows but I'm just really curious about how these features will be implemented. I know there is no official in depth info yet so lets talk about it.

Boarding Party- I think with shields down boarding party's should be able to enter.
- Now should parties enter by teleporters or by "getting side by side, I think both optins rock and that teleporters should be an upgrade (Yea!)

-I think the ship boarding combat should be very similar to the current state of ground combat. Attack# vs Defense# and just have different behind the scenes multipliers, sorta like how troop generals effect a fight.

- I think automated defense should be a feature as a component. ( robot assaulter and defenders mabey? or not at all, mabey just give bots to one race as an racial technology)

-Also should troop compartments with marines should count vs the score but hey maybe they shouldn't maybe marines are in cryo-sleep as 1k maines could create an exploit to where by just having a troop compartment with marines makes any ship impossible to capture. I don't think " ground wars in space" is the route to go.

I don't know how ground combat will go but im dieing to find out. I was thinking Space Empires 3-5 or even Master of Orion 2 style would be cool but im hoping for something truly organic from the devs. I really don't care how they do it as long as they make it more in depth, and I know that aint easy. Any one else have ideas on how to improve ground combat, I know they were introducing new units, but should they all just be dropped onto the planet as is or have a ground combat menu?

"I’ve always worked very, very hard, and the harder I worked, the luckier I got"

Credentials:
-Space Shuttle Door Gunner
-Arm Chair Fleet Commander
Phocian

RE: Ground combat & boarding parties

Post by Phocian »

At this stage with community testing to start it would be great to know some more details about boarding, ground combat etc.
Shadows looks as if it may be the best expansion for any game of this type.

It's almost like a new game !!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”