Old School

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Razz1

Old School

Post by Razz1 »

Does anyone remember pre- WITP?

I remember this game back in the late 80's early 90's when you had a 5 1/4" floppy.

When the new machines came out you couldn't play it. I think that was 386/486
gradenko2k

RE: Old School

Post by gradenko2k »

Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

Gary Grigsby's Pacific War?

Yep, just pulled it out of my ancient software cabinet. Opened the box for the first time in forever and it's got a deteriorating manual and a 720K 3.5 floppy. Fortunately my current system has more than the necessary 640K RAM, but it's sadly lacking in floppy drives of any variety.

Reading the system requirements was like stepping into the wayback machine:

"The game requires 2.5MB of hard disk space and can only be played on a hard drive. An EGA or higher color video system is also required. Note: FILES must be set to at least 20 in your CONFIG.SYS file. No change to BUFFERS is required."

Extra hilarious: There's handwritten sheets in there laying out the Allied set-up requirements. Oh.my.god.
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

You know something, I think it was Pacific War, but it was an earlier version than that if I recall.

I think Pacific War was out before GG got a hold of it. Just like Bombing of the Third Reich. I have a version before GG improved it.

I have been wanting to pick up WITP-AE for years but kept hearing about the negatives, which are basically time and complexity.

Finally made the buy for Christmas.

I'm still waiting to get use to processing a turn. What to do, what order, then what to look for.

Once I get the right combinations down I hope to get each turn down to 20 minutes or less. I can get a turn in about 5 to 10 minutes after the first turn of the day.

I remember Pacific War being one of the best games I ever bought.

Still haven't jumped into War in the East but I spent several months reading each thread.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

ORIGINAL: Kull
ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

Gary Grigsby's Pacific War?

Yep, just pulled it out of my ancient software cabinet. Opened the box for the first time in forever and it's got a deteriorating manual and a 720K 3.5 floppy. Fortunately my current system has more than the necessary 640K RAM, but it's sadly lacking in floppy drives of any variety.

Reading the system requirements was like stepping into the wayback machine:

"The game requires 2.5MB of hard disk space and can only be played on a hard drive. An EGA or higher color video system is also required. Note: FILES must be set to at least 20 in your CONFIG.SYS file. No change to BUFFERS is required."

Extra hilarious: There's handwritten sheets in there laying out the Allied set-up requirements. Oh.my.god.

If I remember correctly, the manual explained air combat. What the range means when you see it displayed in combat.

engaging range 5, range 3 etc.

The closer the range the better chances for a hit.

I hope I still have the manual. I'll have to look someday.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Razz

I remember this game back in the late 80's early 90's when you had a 5 1/4" floppy.

I can go even further back to an old Apple IIe game produced by SSI in the early 80s. I no longer have it but I have just found this on YouTube. Just amazing wants out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94NfFT4qN0
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Another game which I still have is Sea Battle from Mattel on the Intellivision. :)
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

I can go even further back to an old Apple IIe game produced by SSI in the early 80s. I no longer have it but I have just found this on YouTube. Just amazing wants out there.

Superb directing and awesome special effects! Would watch again.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
Capt Hornblower

Post by Capt Hornblower »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

A friend of mine had SSI's GUADALCANAL (one of Grigsby's earliest), and we used to stay up all night playing it. Another (later but still old) game was WAR IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC, which I had for my Commodore 64/128 and which I believe was also an SSI product (not sure if it too was a Grigsby design).
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

I remember playing this on the good old C<64;

Happy days!!
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I liked the Great Naval Battles volume that covered the South Pacific. I never could get any of the other games in the series to run.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Steel Panthers, Typhoon of Steel, Carriers at War- ahhh the memories.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Well, if you like retro game AARs, remember the good old Europe Ablaze, CAW and of course Gary's USAAF?

http://gefechtsstand.wordpress.com/2011 ... ervations/

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Well, if you like retro game AARs, remember the good old Europe Ablaze, CAW and of course Gary's USAAF?

Klink, Oberst

Ahhh...USAAF. (nostalgic pause )...One of my favourites from the 80's.......

[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

joey

Post by joey »

My two favorates were USAAF and Tigers in the Snow. I had USAAF for the Apple IIe and I had Tigers on the Atari. Man I spent many hours with those games. Tigers in the Snow was on a cassette tape that had to be loaded on the atari set each time before playing. It took about an hour IIRC.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I liked the Great Naval Battles volume that covered the South Pacific. I never could get any of the other games in the series to run.

Bill

Aye, Great Naval Battles - Guadalcanal

Fond & fun memories to this day.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

ORIGINAL: Razz

I played GGs Pacific War up until about a year ago. I think it was an early 90's program? I got it from an abandonware site called Home of the Underdogs, so there were no disks with it. It will not run under Windows 7 directly, but runs just fine using DosBox. As someone else pointed out, it is still available for free on the Matrix site.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
aphrochine

Post by aphrochine »

I'm a youngin'. My Pacific War gaming experience began with PTO for the SNES, at which point I began to learn all about the places my dad talked about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.T.O.
VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Yep, the Great Naval Battles that covered the Guadalcanal campaign was excellent. Best part was that if you had an injured ship, you could devote hours to trying to save it. It just broke your heart to see the compartments filling up with water as you transferred your pumps back and forth trying to keep up. They then made two or three more larger games based on the same system that were all crap as they never worked. And they did not care much to fix them.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”