Dug in - entrenched modifiers

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

RockinHarry

Dug in - entrenched modifiers

Post by RockinHarry »

Would like to know about the protection stats vs. direct and indirect fire (in figures) and whether these are cumulative with the terrain layer stats.

Forts (+fortified status) can be edited in Mapmaker, so I wonder about the figures for "dug in" and "entrenched".
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
Arjuna

RE: Dug in - entrenched modifiers

Post by Arjuna »

Sorry I don't understand what you are asking. Can you please rephrase this and give me a context. TYhanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Sorry Dave! Hm...I´d like to know "Hit effect" values for dug in and entrenched unit status. In the map editor you give figures for the various terrain types, like "Hit effects": direct fire 61% and area fire 50% in example (default broken terrain type). Is there fixed numbers for dug in and entrenched as well? Say...Dug in hit effects: direct fire 30% and indirect fire 25% something.

Is these "dug in" and "entrenched" status "hit effects" value a fixed one, or does it combine with the "hit effects" of the underlying terrain type(s)?
RockinHarry in the web:

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

OK I get it now. Here is the excerpt from the code re deployment modifiers on terrain for bombardments:
case kUndeployed:
deploymentMod = pf(1.0);
break;

case kTakingCover:
deploymentMod = pf(0.5);
break;

case kDeployed:
deploymentMod = pf(0.33);
break;

case kDugIn:
deploymentMod = pf(0.2);
break;

case kEntrenched:
deploymentMod = pf(0.15);
break;

case kFortified:
deploymentMod = pf(0.1);
break;

And here are the mods for direct fire - ie APerFP and AArmFP.
// deployMod values kUndeployed, kTakingCover, kDeployed, kDugIn, kEntrenched, kFortified
const pf kDeployModOpen[] = { pf(1.00), pf(0.67), pf(0.33), pf(0.20), pf(0.15), pf(0.125) };
const pf kDeployModScrub[] = { pf(0.81), pf(0.58), pf(0.365), pf(0.25), pf(0.20), pf(0.122) };
const pf kDeployModVillage[] = { pf(0.61), pf(0.50), pf(0.40), pf(0.30), pf(0.25), pf(0.120) };
const pf kDeployModTown[] = { pf(0.41), pf(0.35), pf(0.30), pf(0.25), pf(0.20), pf(0.115) };
const pf kDeployModCity[] = { pf(0.20), pf(0.18), pf(0.16), pf(0.14), pf(0.133), pf(0.110) };
const pf kDeployModFort[] = { pf(0.15), pf(0.14), pf(0.13), pf(0.12), pf(0.11), pf(0.10) };
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Thanks! [:)] Numbers look reasonable to me as well.
RockinHarry in the web:

dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Can anyone help with this please?

Attachments
Terrain-Chart.jpg
Terrain-Chart.jpg (986.85 KiB) Viewed 66 times
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

Can anyone help with this please?

Dazkaz,

Here is the percent chance of a soldier being hit I came up with, taking into account only the terrain modifiers and deployment status.

Forest Dug In Entrenched

Direct Fire 8.20% 6.15%
Area Fire 23.00% 17.25%

But, I believe as a minimum these would get modified further at the time of engagement by some combination of visibility, quantity and types of weapons being fired at the target, unit facing and formation of each unit in the target zone, unit facing and formation of each firing unit, the rate of fire for each unit ordered to attack the target, and at what angle to the target unit facing the firing units are engaging that unit and then some combination of unit experience, training, cohesion, fatigue, and suppression status for both defending and attacking units, so they don't represent an absolute value, but a relative value based on having time to dig-in or entrench in a forest.

Even worse, some values for terrain effects vary based on the map for the scenario, the base values for terrain having been lifted from the Hofen scenario.

Considering this is "just" firing, it makes me appreciate the value I get for the money I spent to purchase the game and expansions.

Take care,

jim
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Thanks Jim that was what I was after, just the base modifiers for the terrain, and deployment.

I also need to know the value for a Company assaulting/moving through the clear terrain, and then the Hocherlinie, to the front of the position, and how that will change once they deploy to provide suppressing fire.
Also assaulting from the forest to the rear if you have time.
Once again just the base terrain, and accumulated deployment.

Thanks mate
wodin

Post by wodin »

One day I hope we can see on the map where the trenches\dug in sections are.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I've just loaded up the Hofen map, and the tool tip terrain modifiers still don't match what's listed in the table in the game manual?
What am I missing here? Its bound to be something obvious, that's why I can't see it [:D]
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

One day I hope we can see on the map where the trenches\dug in sections are.

Hey Wodin,
Welcome back mate [:)]
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

I've just loaded up the Hofen map, and the tool tip terrain modifiers still don't match what's listed in the table in the game manual?
What am I missing here? Its bound to be something obvious, that's why I can't see it [:D]

Hi,

I could be wrong but it may be that with all the beta/version changes and tinkering under the hood that some of the values in the manual are no longer accurate as the manual has not been updated. As an example, the formation firepower related values for in situ have changed but the manual has not been updated.

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “Command Ops Series”