Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resting Panzers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Resting Panzers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resting Panzers - 1/17/2013 3:50:38 PM   
vandev

I have just finished a series of 3 games as Axis vs human Soviet. One was a PBEM (Sledgehammer AAR) and 2 were server games. I think one of my opponents was very experienced and 2 probably had played more against the AI Axis. While I have played only a couple of times as Axis, I am pretty fast and pretty good at moving up infantry. These games all ended with the isolation of Moscow (turn 16 and turn 11) and one on turn 6 where Leningrad fell to a coup de main on turn 5 and turn 6 found an axis breakthrough near smolensk that ended with a large pocket and armor exploiting to vyzama and rchev areas.

Two observations I think may be of interest to a wider audience. One is how Resting panzers recovers thier power. Generally, lets say we are in AGC and turn 4 ends with soviets retreating and the panzers while moving and attacking that turn, ending the turn out of a zoc. At this point cv's may be 10 or smaller and fatigue 70+. Turn 5 is a rest turn. No panzer movement. This allows you to automatically pass your admin check for fuel and maximizes fatigue reduction. Turn 6 you again start not in a zoc maximizing fatigue recovery. At this point your panzers are almost fully recovered, CV is 14-16 and fatigue under 10. This short pause really helps fatigue recovery which dramatically restores panzer effectiveness. Another turn of rest fully restores panzers. Remember fatigue really reduces combat effectiveness.

Not moving panzers is hard to do when you feel the pressure to attack so hard in 41 so as not to let the bear get too strong. However, this pause also lets your infantry catch up and pass the panzer spearhead. This is the second observation, soviets seem to underweight the threat of german infantry near the front line. I have found that concentrated infantry that is close enough to the front line to launched deliberate attacks is deadly. Soviets seem to think level 2 forts in good defensive terrain are worth defending.
During this early stage of the war, these level 2 forts exist to dissuade german panzers from launching hasty attacks (and they do this well). But they really do not dissuade a prepared Axis. I generally try to stack 8 or more pioneers at AGC headquarters at this stage. This allows me 2 or 3 attacks where I am pretty sure I will bring the fort level down 1 or 2 times before combat. This means my infantry deliberate attack will rout this stack in a high odds attack. Since I am concentrating on creating a 3 hex Panzer Punture, most of the first and some of the second line will be breached by infantry before the panzers even move. With panzers rested as above, very bad things can happen.

Lesson for Soviet, when german concentrates infantry at a front you cannot hold. Do not love those forts too much, just continue running. You need 2 things to successfully decide to try and stand. You need to be able to flood the area with units. This means multiple stacks of 3 units. You really can only do this near moscow and leningrad. Second, you need to reinforce these units because they will all need to be replaced after 2 turns or so of combat as they will be fatigued and morale challenged. Soviet divisions with a 1 cv cannot be in the path of a major axis assualt. They are route bait.

Hope people find these observations helpful.

Vandev
Post #: 1
RE: Resting Panzers - 1/17/2013 6:27:06 PM   
HITMAN202

There are no absolutes on how to use your Armor/Mech mobile units. The level of fatigue is seldom an issue for me, because I move them where I "need" them and don't move them without a specific plan. I don't waste their movement. An axiom for me is "they sit without a plan." In other words if I'm forming a pocket or making a breakthru I use them no matter their fatigue.

I follow Sapper's view of keeping the Mech units well gased (more efficient than Armor at using fuel) and constantly visualizing where I can get them in "the open" heading east or making pockets of vulnerable Soviets. I do focus on keeping supply greater than 30 to keep morale up (87 morale or higher have a 2 MP cost in enemy control clear hexes not 3 MP's for lower morale units.)

The problem with their use in recent games is that the best Soviet players run away from possible pockets in the south and construct unbreakable defense networks in the center and north. The answer, I feel, is that the Axis have to take far more "chances" in the first 7 moves of the game with their mobile units. I choose to withhold what I mean by that.

I think you're right on track with the infantry .... mass them and kick ass.

All-in-all combined arm strategy/tactics is the paramount skill the Axis must have.

One general military principle on fatigue .... when the enemy is retreating, routing, or in confusion.... there is no such thing as fatigue to the attacker !!! Alexander the Great was the best practitioner of this principle.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to vandev)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Resting Panzers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI