Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

.Map file editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Mods and Scenarios >> .Map file editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
.Map file editor - 1/17/2013 3:50:33 PM   
FOARP

I aksed this over on the Slith thread and got no answer (PS - why the community fork?) so I'll ask it here - does anyone know of an editor that opens the .Map files which contain map data? I've tried Notepad++, Notepad, GIMP, and a number of other random editors but none work, and it's impossible to come up with a decent mod (say: a WW1-era CSA versus USA scenario) without being able to edit this data.
Post #: 1
RE: .Map file editor - 1/17/2013 4:08:11 PM   
Keke

I'd like to know this too. I hope maps aren't unmoddable...

< Message edited by Keke -- 1/17/2013 4:09:06 PM >

Jyri

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 2
RE: .Map file editor - 1/27/2013 11:49:48 PM   
kirk23

I do hope the maps are editable,because there is a boo boo here!

How do you move the border lines?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 1/27/2013 11:51:14 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Keke)
Post #: 3
RE: .Map file editor - 1/28/2013 9:23:52 AM   
FOARP

Trieste's location can be fixed by editing the X/Y co-ords in the constructions file, same goes for Tireste's port. The problem is that border and railway data cannot be edited without editing the .map file.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 4
RE: .Map file editor - 1/28/2013 9:31:36 AM   
kirk23

Hiya yes moving the cities & ports are easy,but as you say the border lines are a bit more difficult,the Trieste port anchor is in the correct place,but it should be called POLA.We some how need to alter the 2 border lines,maybe it will be looked at with a patch.

Make it so!

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 5
RE: .Map file editor - 1/29/2013 3:22:01 PM   
kirk23

I have repositioned TRIESTE,and added POLA to the map,but I need help in moving the borderlines and the rail tracks,so that I can add a port for TRIESTE.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 1/29/2013 3:23:37 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 6
RE: .Map file editor - 1/29/2013 6:10:51 PM   
kirk23

New City & Ports for Austria.

FIUME + PORT

CATTARO NOW HAS A PORT.

The full Austrian Navy is also shown in the photo,Battleship,Pre-Dreadnought,Armoured cruiser,Cruiser,Destroyers & Submarine units.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 1/29/2013 6:13:56 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: .Map file editor - 1/30/2013 10:47:02 AM   
Lukas

We'll release the map editor soon. It currently only allows editing existing maps, starting a new one is broken and we want to fix that first.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 8
RE: .Map file editor - 1/30/2013 11:25:54 AM   
Keke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

We'll release the map editor soon. It currently only allows editing existing maps, starting a new one is broken and we want to fix that first.

Great news!

Jyri

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 9
RE: .Map file editor - 1/30/2013 11:37:05 AM   
kirk23

Yes very good news a map editor.

Make it so!

(in reply to Keke)
Post #: 10
RE: .Map file editor - 1/30/2013 12:58:36 PM   
FOARP

quote:

Awesome! Get ready for some map mods - I'm hoping by 'new maps' you mean it should be possible to create a new one of another continent from scratch. Am I right?

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 11
RE: .Map file editor - 2/1/2013 11:54:25 PM   
Lukas

quote:

Awesome! Get ready for some map mods - I'm hoping by 'new maps' you mean it should be possible to create a new one of another continent from scratch. Am I right?

Yes, but keep in mind the map is manualy drawn as a single image. It's not built from individual hexes as in panzer corps. So you need some graphics skills to develop a (good looking) new map.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 12
RE: .Map file editor - 2/5/2013 10:43:16 AM   
FOARP

quote:

quote:

Yes, but keep in mind the map is manualy drawn as a single image. It's not built from individual hexes as in panzer corps. So you need some graphics skills to develop a (good looking) new map.

Theoretically you could get a half-decent one by over-laying a hex grid (e.g., one made here: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/misc/svg-hex.cgi ) over a commons image of the North American continent. Gernerating one in the same style as CTGW is beyond my abilities though.

Hell, for that matter, maybe there's a way of making the map by copying graphical elements from PzC . . .

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 13
RE: .Map file editor - 2/5/2013 11:24:25 AM   
Myrddraal

The game will overlay a hex grid for you (if you have that option enabled) as will the editor, so at a pinch you could use any image for the map. It just depends how good you want it to look.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Mods and Scenarios >> .Map file editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI