Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 1:29:35 AM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

There must be some factor about air unit upgrades with PDU off that I still don't get. The No. 810 Sqn FAA is flying Swordfish and I would like to upgrade to Albacore I.

1. The unit is at a Lvl 9 airfield with adequate supply. There is no airfield damage and adequate aviation support.
2. There are no fragments.
3. We have 48 Albacore I on hand.
4. The Albacore I is listed as a future upgrade with an availability date of 42/01 and it's 43/02.

I have upgraded other many other units (including some that I shouldn't have) but these guys really love their Stringbags. Is there some sort of time factor involved? Do FAA aircraft only upgrade on Wednesday? I'd like to get the unit upgraded since I have another Swordfish unit with no aircraft. (At least it was cheap.)

Cheers,
Guy

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 1:45:10 AM   
Rison

I just noticed this in my game also. It appears more that the problem is that its trying to upgrade to what it already is - Swordfish I. Its not trying to upgrade to Albacore I.

(in reply to guytipton41)
Post #: 2
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 2:00:21 AM   
JeffK

I also have this, but thought PDU meant I couldnt change (though I think my aircraft didnt have anything in the Future Upgrades list??)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 3
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 2:17:51 AM   
Alfred

The right hand column of the upgrade options screen is of no value to you in this instance.

1. You must select, by clicking on the yellow Albacore I, on the left column
2. Ensuring "Upgrade Allowed" at the bottom remains toggled on.
3. Then click on "Done".

This will take you back to the air unit screen which should then show the Albacore as the next upgrade model. You then ought to be able to click on "Upgrade Now" which is underneath the withdraw button.

However, if you are really playing with PDU OFF, you should not be allowed to take step 1 above. As I said, the second column is meaningless for you.

Alfred

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 4
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 4:12:40 AM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

I'm running a Scenario 1 - stock PBEM game. Latest released (non-beta) version.

Cheers,
Guy

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 4:41:22 AM   
Ddog

What does it say when you select "Albacore I" and hit the "Done" button?  Also be aware that some units require PP to upgrade to another type.  It says you have 179PP....is it enough?

Lastly, just for clarification, you have PDU on.  PDU off means that the upgrades are fixed. 

"If you can't take a joke, don't start a war."
Tail gunner, Enola Gay

Post #: 6
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 4:54:00 AM   
Capt Hornblower

Um, guys, I think the solution is a little trickier than the upgrade buttons alone. The problem in this instance is that you're trying to upgrade a unit whose HQ is far, far away. I think if you change the squadron's HQ to Australia Cmd (or to its parent, which should be SoWesPac at this point), you'll find that you can upgrade the squadron's planes.

Post #: 7
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 5:05:37 AM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The right hand column of the upgrade options screen is of no value to you in this instance.

1. You must select, by clicking on the yellow Albacore I, on the left column
2. Ensuring "Upgrade Allowed" at the bottom remains toggled on.
3. Then click on "Done".

This will take you back to the air unit screen which should then show the Albacore as the next upgrade model. You then ought to be able to click on "Upgrade Now" which is underneath the withdraw button.

However, if you are really playing with PDU OFF, you should not be allowed to take step 1 above. As I said, the second column is meaningless for you.

Alfred

Thats what I thought, and with PDU off when you click on the yellow Albacore I it advised the choice is not available (not sure of the wording)

In a more modern engine I suppose it would tempt you by allowing any options unless in the upgrade chain, maybe AE2.

Playing PDU off really hampers the AFB, and I assume the JFB as well. I have 3 Swordfish Sqns with about 6 aircraft between them, and 40+ Albacore sitting in their boxes waiting to be used. The RN has some CV but nothing to fly off them!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 5:12:03 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

Um, guys, I think the solution is a little trickier than the upgrade buttons alone. The problem in this instance is that you're trying to upgrade a unit whose HQ is far, far away. I think if you change the squadron's HQ to Australia Cmd (or to its parent, which should be SoWesPac at this point), you'll find that you can upgrade the squadron's planes.

Not relevant.

Besides the fact you need to have planes in the pool, the series of conditions needed for a forced manual upgrade are found on pages 257-258 of the manual. Only one of those conditions must be met. The first bulletted one, at the bottom of page 257 simply requires:

• airfield to be size 7+
  • base to have supplies 20k +

Those conditions are met by Townsville.

Alfred

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 9
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 8:48:21 AM   
Dobey

I haven't played much with PDU off, but if you are using PDU off, then does that not mean that air units follow their historical upgrade path?

Apparently 810 FAA stayed with swordfish until upgrading to the Barracuda in 1943.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 12:37:38 PM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

PDU off. I still have a hard time understanding that Albacore I is shown as an upgrade in the right hand column. Perhaps the clue I am missing is the order and date of the upgrades. Note that in the left hand column the date of the Albacore upgrade predates the Swordfish. Perhaps No.810 Sqn was (pre arrival in theater) flying Albacores and upgraded to Stringbags on it's way east? Boy that a weak argument.

Cheers,
Guy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dobey)
Post #: 11
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 12:42:00 PM   
guytipton41

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

Hi Capt!

Good idea, I reassigned the unit to SWPAC (who just happens to be in Townsville) and... it didn't help. Sigh.

Cheers,
Guy

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 12
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 12:46:12 PM   
guytipton41

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Thats what I thought, and with PDU off when you click on the yellow Albacore I it advised the choice is not available (not sure of the wording)

In a more modern engine I suppose it would tempt you by allowing any options unless in the upgrade chain, maybe AE2.

Playing PDU off really hampers the AFB, and I assume the JFB as well. I have 3 Swordfish Sqns with about 6 aircraft between them, and 40+ Albacore sitting in their boxes waiting to be used. The RN has some CV but nothing to fly off them!

Hi JeffK,

I solved this problem by getting a couple of RN carriers sunk. Perhaps not the optimum solution.

Cheers,
Guy

Ps. Assuming you consider the HMS Herpes to be a carrier.

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 13
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 1:40:25 PM   
Bullwinkle58

The problem is obviously the huge LP cover over much of Queensland. "Year of the Cat" was my fave of course, but regardless, planes can't burrow through miles of cardboard . . .

The Moose

Post #: 14
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 1:40:31 PM   
Alfred

guytipton41,

You and others are not going to like this answer but you will just have to accept it.

1. You are definitely playing with PDU OFF as you can't select the Albacore in the first column. That means your problem is self inflicted.

2. I told you in post #4 the second column has no meaning in your situation. I don't just state things for the benefit of hearing my own voice. The second column is not the upgrade path. It is there primarily for the benefit of players playing with PDU ON. In a PDU OFF game it shows the future generic roadmap for upgrades if the scenario designer has decided to follow that path for the particular unit. In your game the scenario designer has decided to not follow that path for this squadron.

3. The scenario designer has decided that the No. 810 FAA squadron will not upgrade from the Swordfish.

4. With PDU OFF there is no option to move backwards in the upgrade path.

Alfred

Post #: 15
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/16/2013 2:56:54 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

Hi Folks,

PDU off. I still have a hard time understanding that Albacore I is shown as an upgrade in the right hand column. Perhaps the clue I am missing is the order and date of the upgrades. Note that in the left hand column the date of the Albacore upgrade predates the Swordfish. Perhaps No.810 Sqn was (pre arrival in theater) flying Albacores and upgraded to Stringbags on it's way east? Boy that a weak argument.

Cheers,
Guy

There's something strange with your example. It shows that next upgrade is (definitely) Albacore, but "no upgrade is scheduled at this time" means that there's no upgrades available. Maybe there's some glitch/database error with that unit?

Post #: 16
RE: Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade - 1/20/2013 8:07:22 PM   
guytipton41

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

The problem is obviously the huge LP cover over much of Queensland. "Year of the Cat" was my fave of course, but regardless, planes can't burrow through miles of cardboard . . .

Hi Bullwinkle,

"Roads to Moscow", "Almost Lucy" or "A League of Notions". Actually there were so many good songs there over the years.

Cheers,
Guy

Ps. Unfortunately the cardboard overcast is not sufficient to hinder the operations of the IJAAF.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Missing Factor PDU Off Upgrade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI