Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does units in "rest" get affected by enemy bombardment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Does units in "rest" get affected by enemy bombardment? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does units in "rest" get affected by enemy bo... - 1/14/2013 11:26:50 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Lets say I am sieging an enemy; we both have troops in the same hex. I have a the numerical advantage,
there is a daily exchange of bombardment fire.

assuming I have enough troops in combat mode to take care of any counter attack; my question is, what will be better for reducing fatigue and disruption, "rest" or "reserve" ?
rest should be the best way of reducing fatigue and disruption, but as per the manual, a unit in reserve will not be part of combat or bombardment, and daily bombardment will obviously adds quite a lot disruption. what I am not sure, is if a unit in "rest/ training" will receive bombardment

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 1/14/2013 11:29:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Does units in "rest" get affected by enem... - 1/14/2013 11:34:00 PM   
Empire101

It will do far more harm than good resting units in a combat hex. An enemy bombardment will inflict extra losses, fatigue and disruption to the 'resting units.

Move them out of the combat hex if they are that badly disrupted/fatigued and feed fresh troops in.
The presence of enemy troops in a hex makes it far more difficult for the unit to reduce disruption/fatigue.

Otherwise leave them in combat mode in the hex.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: Does units in "rest" get affected by enem... - 1/15/2013 2:03:23 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Lets say I am sieging an enemy; we both have troops in the same hex. I have a the numerical advantage,

assuming I have enough troops in combat mode to take care of any counter attack; my question is, what will be better for reducing fatigue and disruption, "rest" or "reserve" ?
rest should be the best way of reducing fatigue and disruption, but as per the manual, a unit in reserve will not be part of combat or bombardment, and daily bombardment will obviously adds quite a lot disruption. what I am not sure, is if a unit in "rest/ training" will receive bombardment

From the manual 8.2.1.1

Units in Reserve in a hex that are defending have the following effects:
»» Do not fire in combat
»» Are not affected by bombardment attack
»» Are not used in initial odds calculations
»» Will not suffer casualties in the combat unless released – see below

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 1/15/2013 2:04:17 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 3
RE: Does units in "rest" get affected by enem... - 1/15/2013 2:22:36 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

From the manual 8.2.1.1

»» Do not fire in combat

Is that section specific to artillery bombardment? I have seen units in reserve mode take disruption and eventually destroyed squads from naval and air bombardment. They do seem to take less effects than if they were in rest or move mode, but about the same as combat/defend mode [in foxholes].

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: Does units in "rest" get affected by enem... - 1/15/2013 2:38:08 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

From the manual 8.2.1.1

»» Do not fire in combat

Is that section specific to artillery bombardment? I have seen units in reserve mode take disruption and eventually destroyed squads from naval and air bombardment. They do seem to take less effects than if they were in rest or move mode, but about the same as combat/defend mode [in foxholes].

Air bombardment isn't bombardment; it's bombing. I believe when the manual means naval bombardment it adds the "naval." This section of the manual concerns LCU postures for ground combat (the sub-section preceeding covers Reverve mode when attack orders are in play in the hex.) So, I believe this rule works for ground bombardment. IOW, arty. That was the subject of the OP as I see it.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 1/15/2013 2:40:44 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Does units in "rest" get affected by enem... - 1/15/2013 2:43:41 AM   
BBfanboy

That's what I thought Moose. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew it was that specific situation. Some people do use the term bombardment for aerial bombing.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 6
RE: Does units in "rest" get affected by enem... - 1/15/2013 2:54:03 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

That's what I thought Moose. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew it was that specific situation. Some people do use the term bombardment for aerial bombing.

Darn sure Clausewitz wouldn't!!!

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Does units in "rest" get affected by enemy bombardment? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI