Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Range

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Range Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Range - 1/14/2013 9:51:51 PM   
ChadS

Sorry for the probable simple-to-find-the-answer-to question, but, I haven't found it.

What does this mean on my task force?

Moves(m/c) 3/3, Fuel- 150/76(38)?

I know the 3/3 means 3 hexes in the AM segment, 3 in the PM segment. I'm not clear on the numbers for fuel.

Thanks in advance!

Chad S
Post #: 1
RE: Range - 1/14/2013 9:57:51 PM   
Itdepends

3/3 means 3 hexes movement (on average) if travelling at full speed per movement phase and 3 hexes if at cruise speed. 150/76 is the range of the ship if travelling at cruise speed or full speed. Can't remember what the 38 in brackets is.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 2
RE: Range - 1/14/2013 10:00:35 PM   
witpqs

3/3 does not mean that. The first number is the number of hexes per phase (there are two naval movement phases per day) at full speed. The second number is at cruise speed. Notice that for most ships the two are different, for some they are the same. Under most condition the ship will cruise in both phases. But sometimes will go faster for various tactical reasons (even a merchant trying to evade warships).

150/76(38) means: 150 hexes of fuel remaining; 76 hexes to get to assigned destination and then back to assigned home port; 38 hexes to assigned destination. Note that these numbers are estimates and not always consistent from one turn to another. If the TF is able to move at cruise it might save a little fuel compared to the estimates, and so on.

I say 'ship' in all of the above. A TF is simply governed by the slowest ship.

Edit to add: This crossed with Itdepends' answer and was written to ChadS.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 1/14/2013 10:02:25 PM >

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 3
RE: Range - 1/14/2013 10:11:12 PM   
Lokasenna

At sea fuel transfers are taken into account for the 150/76(38) numbers, as well. So some ships in that TF might have a "range" of 200+ hexes, others only 40-50... The line is (probably) a best guess at:
Max Range /
Required to go to all waypoints, destination, and return home by routing rules such as Direct, Safest, etc.
(Required to get to destination)

You'll note that when either of the last two numbers are bigger than the first, they all turn red (does not take into account refueling at destination or waypoints).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Range - 1/14/2013 11:07:08 PM   
ChadS

Excellent. Thanks very much.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Range - 1/15/2013 4:55:55 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

At sea fuel transfers are taken into account for the 150/76(38) numbers, as well. So some ships in that TF might have a "range" of 200+ hexes, others only 40-50... The line is (probably) a best guess at:
Max Range /
Required to go to all waypoints, destination, and return home by routing rules such as Direct, Safest, etc.
(Required to get to destination)

You'll note that when either of the last two numbers are bigger than the first, they all turn red (does not take into account refueling at destination or waypoints).

To further elaborate on the "RED" numbers, not all numbers need go red, if you have enough fuel to reach your assigned destination (the number in (x)...) then it will stay green. If you can reach your destination but can NOT return to your assigned point of origin (read home port) then only the first number goes read (meaning you are on a one way ride if you can't get any more fuel). As indicated by others, it is not an exact science but it is a very useful planning tool. A trick you can use to stop excess refueling of the smaller endurance ships is to assign your destination as your home port as well, thus the second number and the (x) number should be equal.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Range Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI