Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

do you disband TF with good leaders?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> do you disband TF with good leaders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 2:28:53 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Lets say I just created a surface TF; and I chose a good leader for it (paying PP); so after some time the ships will get some damage;

my question is, do you just keep always at least one ship on it so to avoid disbanding a good leader's TF?
is there a way to keep an empty TF while it repairs?
and finally, would ships still consume fuel if the TF is sitting in port?

I guess another good strategy will be to not autoselect, but to have good captains in all capital ships (cruisers and up). Since capital ships are always "TF flags"; by default, they will be good leaders on them... So I pay the political price only once, and then I can simply ignore leaders for all TF except maybe the most important ones
Post #: 1
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 2:42:35 PM   
dr.hal

If I paid PPs for the leader, I always try to keep at least one ship in the TF, even if I have to transfer one in while moving others out. Why pay twice if you need the TF commander? I don't know of any way to keep a TF alive without ships, they are symbiotic. If a TF is not disbanded or docked, then it will consume a small amount of fuel just hanging out. If the default TF commander is good, no need to change and that "captain" will do ok... however if a ship with a "senior" captain comes into the TF upon rebuilding, he will be the TF commander and he may not have the attributes you like. ALSO if the TF commander's ship is put out of action and leaves the fight and the TF commander is the captain of that ship, say goodbye to that TF commander and welcome a new one... however if you paid for a TF commander and that flagship is hit and withdraws AND if the TF commander is not killed, then he will transfer over to another ship... thus remaining in the fight... so spend our PPs wisely!

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 2:48:28 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Lets say I just created a surface TF; and I chose a good leader for it (paying PP); so after some time the ships will get some damage;

my question is, do you just keep always at least one ship on it so to avoid disbanding a good leader's TF? Although I haven't been practicing it, I have heard that some or even many people do that. It's merely an accommodation to the game mechanics and I see nothing wrong with it (even in a PBM, I mean).
is there a way to keep an empty TF while it repairs? No.
and finally, would ships still consume fuel if the TF is sitting in port? If running any kind of air operations (even float planes), yes. If running any other kind of active mission (mine sweeping, etc), yes. If not doing anything and docked, no. If not doing anything and not docked, I'm not sure.

I guess another good strategy will be to not autoselect, but to have good captains in all capital ships (cruisers and up). Since capital ships are always "TF flags"; by default, they will be good leaders on them... So I pay the political price only once, and then I can simply ignore leaders for all TF except maybe the most important ones Sounds more expensive PP-wise than just paying for TF commanders and you might run out of good leaders. The good is they should all be good ship COs too.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 1/14/2013 2:50:59 PM >

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

Post #: 3
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 3:13:09 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Thanks; I am definitively going to keep the one-ship TF approach while in port; if anything just to avoid the fuel consumption (I will keep one destroyer; or even a PB); a small amount of fuel can be a lot if we are talking for Kido butai or the BB divisions; more so if they are kept in a forward base

EDIT: one last point; when you said "senior"; are you saying rank or ship? I believe, it all goes on ship class, not rank; so for example if I have a RADM in a cruiser and a CAPT in a BB, and TF leader is not selected, then I expect to see the CAPT (BB > CA) as TF leader.. that said, I have not done testing

regards

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 1/14/2013 3:17:50 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 3:25:19 PM   
dr.hal

I think you are correct as I don't see "senior" following rank. Indeed two Kiwi CLs start the game with Ensigns as the rank of their "CO"! I do know that ships not docked but in a TF consume fuel, albeit on a very small scale. But even this can be trouble...HOWEVER (isn't there always a however?) keeping ships in a TF or alone but undocked does allow them (crew and captain) to gain experience if I'm not mistaken, although not nearly as much as being in a battle. The game engine makes no differentiation between being "at sea" in harbor our out in the middle of the IO. So, if you have the fuel, then I would keep those ships whose crew I want to "experience" the sea, undocked and in a TF even while in a port hex.... But be warned, guard against an enemy sub, as these ships are now "at sea"!

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 1/14/2013 3:28:55 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 4:01:52 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Thanks a lot again!

Playing Japan, I think I will maintain good leaders for:
2-3 Carrier TF
2 BB TF
4-6 CA TF
6-8 CL+DD TF
12-?? ASW TFs .. as many as I can get

Would it make sense to turn on the auto select for the other TFs? my big worry is to have the very good leaders somehow chosen for convoy duty

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 5:24:12 PM   
rms1pa

quote:

Would it make sense to turn on the auto select for the other TFs? my big worry is to have the very good leaders somehow chosen for convoy duty

the pool of leaders seems to vary depending on type of TF ,base HQ,
fleet HQ ,nationality and location.

some of the merchant commanders are real duds.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

Post #: 7
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 6:39:30 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

A good CV TF commander will not be "chosen" to head a convoy, so don't worry about that...

Post #: 8
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 7:54:21 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I might put Nagumo in a convoy TF... in the most submarine infested area

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 9
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/14/2013 8:23:23 PM   
dr.hal

Well said. I've a few allied commanders I'd like to put into the same boat!

Post #: 10
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/15/2013 1:20:22 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

A good CV TF commander will not be "chosen" to head a convoy, so don't worry about that...

A good CV TF commander isn't likely to be chosen to head an air combat task force, either. Every time I've tried using auto select for a USN task force, I've gotten William Pye.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 11
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/15/2013 9:25:52 AM   
Alfred

The leader qualities which make an individual are good candidate to command a ship are not necessarily the same qualities you want in a leader to command a task force. Therefore, going through the process of ensuring your ships will have good leaders will not necessarily result in having a good TF commander.

Alfred

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 12
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/15/2013 5:16:11 PM   
Lokasenna

I find choosing leaders to be one of the most fascinating aspects of this game, honestly. Picking someone with high inspiration and high numbers in the relevant Naval/Air/Admin to command your ships, and then someone with the good overall skills (does Leadership affect ability to give orders in naval battles in the game engine?) like relevant Naval/Air and Aggression to command the TF... And then the roll of the dice when things start blowing up... It's interesting.

Replacing Nagumo is something I do the first time KB makes port. I hate that guy. With whom do people tend to replace him? I'm partial to Yamaguchi for the KB, and I just switched to Cpt. Toshio Abe for MKB though I'm wondering if maybe I should use Kusaka or Okano instead.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 13
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/15/2013 5:47:16 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

i also have Yamaguchi in KB;

but jokes apart, I don't think Nagumo is that bad, in game terms at least.

I was thinking on using him for mini-KB; shouldn't I?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 14
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/15/2013 7:50:32 PM   
Lokasenna

He isn't that bad, I just hate having Aggression of less than 60 on my CV TF commanders. I think mid-60s, maybe up to 70, is the sweet spot between Nagumo and Halsey on the aggression continuum. With Nagumo's Admin of 62, I'm thinking maybe I'll use him for a major naval AF base.

Post #: 15
RE: do you disband TF with good leaders? - 1/18/2013 9:05:32 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

High aggression will increase the chances of reaction; which can be dangerous for the mini-KB... I think it actually prefer a not so aggressive ADM for it

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> do you disband TF with good leaders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI